My wall of fun

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by CowboyFromHell, Oct 8, 2017.

1. CowboyFromHell

CowboyFromHell Use my third party

30" Pax on the left, Besta under the TV, 40" Pax on the right. Dimmable led tracks for each shelf.

View from the couch
    IMG_20171008_174503.jpg

IMG_20171008_174645.jpg

IMG_20171008_174657.jpg

IMG_20171008_174709.jpg

Left some room for Omega
    IMG_20171008_174633.jpg

IMG_20171008_174724.jpg

IMG_20171008_174757.jpg

IMG_20171008_174851.jpg

IMG_20171008_174859.jpg

IMG_20171008_174742.jpg

IMG_20171008_174818.jpg

Collection in progress
    IMG_20171008_174841.jpg

Couch on the left, wall of awesomeness on the right
    IMG_20171008_175232.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  2. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really nice display!! I’m a fan of clean and spaced out setups!!

What brand of lighting is that? Do you know if it comes in different sizes? And also, are they Daisy chained together into a single switch?

Sorry, I’m looking into lighting for my collection soon and am looking into options :D 

3. CowboyFromHell

I researched quite a lot before setting it up. I went with Lee Valley for almost everything as I could drive to the store if I need more of something VS ordering online. And, they have everything needed and it all works together. Good prices too.

LED strips, I chose 60 White LEDs per metre (18 LEDs per foot). 10 meter rolls, you can cut every 2 inches. Result is perfect. It can get really bright or really low. So bright that I don't need to turn on the room lights, it's a giant wall of light on its own. When I play my games and whatnot, it gets really low. Color is natural white and it doesn't have any weird hues to it. Link: Warm or Natural White LED Tape Lighting System - Lee Valley Tools

Power supply (60 Watts for me, make sure to follow the charts): Standard Power Supplies - Lee Valley Tools

Wire, I used 18ga. Solid-Core Two-Conductor Outdoor Rated Wire, 26.2' (8m). I didn't want to deal with the strands but it would have worked fine, maybe better since the LED strips have fairly small contact points. Link: White LED Lighting Connectors and Wire - Lee Valley Tools

Dimmer switch, I used the "B" version with a remote so I can control from my couch: Dimmer Switch for White LED Lighting - Lee Valley Tools

Channels and diffusers. These are awesome! I got the corner mount channels with opal diffusers. They have a 45 degree slant so the LED strips are pointing towards the middle of the shelf rather than straight down. Get some mounting clips and you're good to go. The channels do come in 36" or 72" lengths, I got a few 72" ones and cut them to size. Same for diffusers. Leave a few inches on each side to make room for the wire that's gonna poke out. For the god damn end caps, a word of warning! They don't fit very nice. You have to hammer them in and you can't get them out. It was my first time soldering and on a few, I had to re-do my shitty job and once the end caps are on, I had to use a screw driver to break them out. It leaves a little piece in there that won't come out. Use duct tape instead of the end caps. Fuck those end caps they suck. LED Channels and Diffusers for Tape Lighting - Lee Valley Tools

For soldering, I had never done it, I would definitely make the same decision, it's pretty easy and the connections are smaller than clip connectors. People say it's stronger too but some of mine came apart and I had to redo a few. No biggie. For anyone that is going "hmm soldering I don't know it looks like voodoo and I don't want to try." It's easy.

For the wiring setup, I read up and apparently daisy chainning will result in loss of power by the end of the chain. This means the lights at the end of the chain will be dimmer than the first. There's a bunch of ways to go about it, like powering at various intervals or at both ends of the chain, but I just wired each shelf directly to the power source. No dicking around, and everything gets mucho juice. You do end up with a lot of wires and it won't all fit in the little power source hole so I bought a large electric box with big holes. I bunched up all the wires and stuck them in that thing. I'll take/post a picture tonight for reference. I had to visit a specialty electrical store to get that and I can't find that type of box on google.

Here's a craptacular diagram of the wiring. Of course, I gave a lot of length to each so I could hide them behind the cabinets etc..

wiring.png

For hiding the wires going to the back of the shelves, I used these and cut to size, you can see them in my initial post at the top right sides of the shelves:

Shop Wiremold 1-Piece 0.5-in x 60-in Straight Channel Cord Cover Ivory Cord Cover at Lowes.com

• Like Like x 4
  4. Godert Walter

Godert Walter Well-Known Member

Awesome!

5. CowboyFromHell

Here's how I connected all the wires before the power source. It's an ilsco pdc-14-2/0-1. I used 2 (1 for all the negatives and 1 for all the positives). It has 4 holes on one end, and 1 big hole on the other. Distribute all your wires into the 4 holes, then only 1 wire out the big hole on the other side to the power source. Not sure what I would have done if I hadn't stumbled onto this item.

My setup:
    IMG_20171013_145458.jpg

The product:
    PDC SNAP BLOCKS (SMALL)

PDC.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  6. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you for your very thorough response — this looks like a summer project for me :D 

• Like Like x 1
  7. omagaprime

omagaprime Well-Known Member

Indeed very nice display, and choice of collections.

8. Alpha_&_Omega

Alpha_&_Omega From the Covenant of Primus...

I dunno guys, the highlight of these pics are to 2 sweet 7 & 5 strings in the. Excellent setup! btw, any details on the non g2 black mp sideswipe?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blackout32

Blackout32 Vinnie Paul Abbott = we miss you

Thrash Metal fan huge Pantera/Hellyeah fan
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I have to admit that well the collection is just awesome. I can't forget about the lighting either cause thats really really cool. But being a musician that I am as well I love the bass and guitar too. Man I hope those t-formers listen to that low bass rumble and the oh-yeah awesome guitar sound as well. Whats the brand name on the bass and guitar?

10. CowboyFromHell

Thanks for the interest I mean this is stuff I worked a loooong time for so it's certainly fun to share.

The Sideswipe is just a custom painted KO I found on Kijiji for dirt cheap.

The bass is a spalted maple
    LTD I got on Kijiji for dirt cheap. I love dirt cheap. It's pretty good, not super high end but it does it's job.

IMG_20171026_165139.jpg

The guitar is something special. It's a custom I had made by a local luthier. I designed it in photoshop and the luthier put it in autocad and then built it. I even went to an exotic wood shop to pick out the chunks of wood. Body is mohagany, top veneer is bloodwood. Kneck is maple, top is rosewood. The cool bit about it is that the tone knob isn't a tone knob cuz honestly who the hell ever uses the damn tone knob. It's actually a blend pot for mixing the bridge and neck pickups. I would recommend this to anyone. Way more sound options than a pickup switch.

I really really like this guitar everything about it is top shelf awesome.

IMG_20171026_165025.jpg

While I'm here, check out my latest addition I took a batman mirror and stuck of LEDs on the back. Love it!

IMG_20171019_165841.jpg

IMG_20171019_165548.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  11. Alpha_&_Omega

Alpha_&_Omega From the Covenant of Primus...

Dude, my 17 year old self with Ibanez SR506 (1997) in hand weeps tears of jealousy of your TF's and instruments.

12. Blackout32

Blackout32 Vinnie Paul Abbott = we miss you

Thrash Metal fan huge Pantera/Hellyeah fan
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Well I've heard of LTD but I've never seen one up close. I love your guitar and bass and I thank you so much for sharing. I love to learn about other peoples guitars or bass and I really like your story on the guitar. I've never heard of anyone doing a custom guitar and that color is really cool and sharp looking. I have a 11 piece Pearl export drum set and I have a left-handed Ibanez 6 string guitar. What amps btw are you using and string brand cause I need to replace my guitar strings.

13. CowboyFromHell

Haha well I'm 41 and I only recently started making enough coin to get setup like I always wanted. Life is so backwards, by the time you make enough money, you don't even want what you wanted. Unless you're like us people who don't actually grow old!

Guitar strings, I use D'Addario regular light 0.010 to 0.059 (to 0.046 if you're on six strings). It's the orange pack. A bit heavier than the popular 0.009's and it makes a difference for metal music.

Amps, I use stacks and my main is a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, I have a Line 6 Spider Mark 5 for jamming around and abusing, and I have a Peavey 5150 sitting in a corner. With my setup though, I don't use amps anymore, I plug directly into a Roland duo-capture sound card and then use the Cubase 9 amp simulators. I shit you not the sound is amazing and there's none of the mic problems. The recording levels are 100% since you're feeding directly into the computer. People debate that miking an actual amp is better but you know, opinions are like ass holes and I prefer the emulators. For once in my life the guitars don't sound like they're in another room, they're "in your face" with lots of gain. For drums, I use Superior Drummer 3 which sounds better than any live drum recording I've ever been part of. Again, it's direct samples with none of the cheap "demo" recording taste. For listening to it all, I have a pair of Yamaha HS8 studio monitors along with an HS8S subwoofer. That room goes boom boom long time. And I think I'm done spending for a good while!

14. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

What a beautiful set up you have, man. Perfectly lit and presented. You should be proud. :) 

Seeing as you already swapped out Jaguar, the only improvement I can think of on that near-as-damn-it perfect 'con shelf is maybe the Oc. Max Frumble when it hits imminently.

Oh, plus the FT Blitzwing, and a decent MP-Astrotrain, hopefully in 2018 (please Fan's Toys? Pretty please...? :D )

15. JoeBot

JoeBot TFW2005 Supporter

This is an amazing set up. Love the rug!

16. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Can I come over and hang out. ;) 

b5bda08a5ef178d2f184b5030a00d65a.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  17. CowboyFromHell

Damn that must have been a hell of a good party! I went back stage when I was 15 on the Vulgar Display of Power tour and the guys are super nice. Phil was smoking the marijuana with fans, Rex was with reporters, Vinnie was with groupies, and Dimes was with me. He showed me how to do his trademark whammy bar squeel and he wrote "Coors Light rules" on my Budweiser hat. It's a long time ago but I just remember that they were all super cool considering I was an excited teen ager harassing them for multiple autographs.

18. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Whaaaat. That's sick. I had a chance to see them back stage on the southern trendkill tour because my uncles friends knew their lead security guy Val but they had a quick turnaround to the next city. Sucked, but I still got some autographs and shit sent to me. I'm jelous you got a guitar lesson from dime. Damn ;) 

19. kek23k

kek23k Iaconhub Staff

The diffuser strips are a really great idea. I wish I'd seen this before I did mine. Good work :) 

20. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not often I see such perfect lighting on a display. Not sure I can get Lee Valley stuff in the UK but it might be worth me trying. All the Ikea LED lighting I've seen either looks too yellow or too dull.