My Wal-Mart seemed to sell out of Alt Ravage / Alt Rumble overnight!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tycho, May 13, 2007.

1. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

I got mine because a friend of mine works stocking overnight at my store and he called me at like 1am to drive over and get them. (Man I love Ravage!)

But I chose my figures (1 of each) from cases with probably 6 or 8 cars each in them. I don't remember now.

But they had like 2-3 cases of these. And they were $19.99 each. But they were gone almost immediately my friend said. He came to work the next overnight shift and they were all gone. Could one scalper have come in and spent about $270 and bought them all out? It's possible I suppose. But it would take 16 weeks to be smart about eBaying that stuff or they'd flood the market and drive the prices that they were getting down themselves. I don't know that many scalpers would like a 4 month turn-around. However, with the movie, maybe that's alright. $270 is not that much money to sit on until you start taking from July-October to clear it out. But assuming they only make $10 over retail per Alternator, that's like taking 4 months to make $140. That's pathetic.

The alternate theory is that there were 14 Transformers fans who collect Alts who came into the store in about a 24 hour period. Could that be true? Maybe. But that many is not so likely in my opinion. What do you think?

Finally: is Wal-Mart only stocking these once? If they sold so well, shouldn't the computer have auto-ordered more of them? They couldn't be THAT limited! could they? From Hasbro?

2. atreyu2112

atreyu2112 Well-Known Member

I have noticed that any store exclusive (Walmart, Target & TRU) seems to get one big shipment and thats it. They put all of it out at once and when it's gone that's it, no more.

As for the scalpers - yeah, they'd buy them all at once because most scalpers work with others. They supply each other, thats how they seem to get all the good stuff. How else can you be at every Walmart, Target and TRU when they open and when they stock shelves? It's impossible. And when they re-sell them to "us" it's usually at twice the price, even the online retailers who get their cases direct sell them for almost double.

That is the unfortunate world of exclusives.

Think about the Botcon Classics 5-pack... they're sold out, limited to 1050 (man is Hasbro loosing TONS in retail sales) and they were mad expensive to begin with. When they hit the secondary market they're gonna be so expensive that I doubt anyone will be able to afford them or justify buying them (when techincally the store retail would be $60, 4@$10 & 1@$20).

3. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

If it was a scalper he/she's an idiot; they've been warming the shelf at my walmart for a couple months now. I can't imagine they'll get much for them.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Really?

Can you snag me a Ravage?

They all sold out within a few days here.

5. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Only if retailers could stomach having six largely identical toys on pegs at the same time, and they wouldn't.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    PM sent.

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

:rock 

8. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I live in a really crappy area. I never even got to see any of the Ford GT alternators or even Downshift (was it? Or was it Camshaft?.. ?? ) Now it sounds like I may never see Ravage or Rumble. This blows.

9. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Uh oh.... that would suck.

10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I still have 2 whole PDQ's full of these.

11. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

That's why I'd pay around $30 to get them from BBTS. Less headache and gas. I'll probably spend way over $20 in gas just to find them.

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you get my rumble yet??

13. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Dang, these things are shelf warmer in some place ?! If any charitable soul could snag me up both Ravage and Rumble, I don't even think they were released in Canada :/

14. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I never saw Camshaft, Rumble or Ravage in stores here, got them all on the boards.

15. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I imagine someone would buy that many to maybe take to Botcon. I'm sure they will be able to ask $30 each there and clean up.

Mike

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    There's a Wal-Mart near me that has plenty of them. I can snag them for people, but if I get alot of requests, I'm gonna need to make a little money on them to make it worth my while. I'll happily do it for $30 each plus shipping. Just send me some PMs.

17. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Today... I did.

They had about 3 or 4 more of each. Still hanging on here.