My voice over demos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jon3pnt0, Apr 19, 2008.

1. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    For those who don't know me and probably most don't because I don't get to post much, I'm an aspiring voice actor and I've completed the majority of my site Man of 1000 Voices where all my personal info and hiring info is located as well as a nicely detailed list of character demos and impressions are located as well as some of my fav Transformers, though my list is far from over.

Anyways, I can't seem to get any feedback from family and friends; so before I go tra-la-la-ing of hippity-hoppity to give out my finished demo to producers and radio/tv stations and put out money to audition for internet jobs, I would like to know which of my voices are the best of my best for getting work. I did two and tried to keep them as close to one minute each as possible, as was suggested to me. But I'm my own worse critic and can't really seem to get out of anyone I know personally because they are all so positive, it's hard to know whether they are being honest or not.

TO THE POINT, here are links to my final "in-order-to-be-hired" demos, so please give them a listen and maybe go to the site and listen in and give me some feedback... if not here, then e-mail me some constructive criticism. I swear, you won't hurt my feelings. I'd be more hurt for a company to tell me, "this stinks" than some fellow fans or friends who just trying to be honest.

Commercial Voiceover Demo

Character Voices Demo

and you can also visit my Voiceover profile at Voice 1-2-3 for my best fake movie trailers and such, but it's pretty much my favorite stuff that's already on my own site.

Gratefulness for all who help me out!

2. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

You Elmo is insane! So is Timmy's Dad and Slag.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I was a bit apprehensive at first, viewing your site, but your Sludge, Starscream, and the Priest from Princess Bride is fantastic.

4. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    What about any that are crap?

5. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I think the whole Movie guy thing is a little forced. You try to sound like him too much and it's coming off a little strange.

6. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Well, there are different versions of Don Lafontaine's voice... the romantic movie one, the action movie one, the Pablo Francisco version and Frank Calliendo's. But mine was supposed to be an impression. I'll admit it's not perfected yet. It sounds to much like GIJOE guy to me. Haven't really found my own yet. But the one in my main Commercial demo, I'd agree not my best and not even a great recording... which is why I asked for advice in the first place. And I don't care for my Prime in the Character one either... I've done much better (check my YouTube link) before.

7. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I think you do a great job of getting down to the point in that you can do voices. Some of them are very good, pretty much all of them. I hope you get a job with this and good luck.

8. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Hell I keep replaying it just for the Elmo :lol 

I think you should go for character voices.

9. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    My kids love it when I do Elmo and Transformers and pretty much the whole cast of Spongebob. I've even got my own unique characters that I came up with over the years that I've not uploaded yet.

But trust me, nothing would make me happier than to be doing characters in cartoons; but from what I understand it's REALLY REALLY difficult bcuz the producers have their decade-old favorites like Tom Kenny, Jim Cummings and Jeff Bennett to name a few and just aren't interested in hiring unknown talent.

But I gotta start someplace, even if it's retarded internet commercials, I'd just about take anything to get something to put on a resume.

Main quiestion: are the two main demos good enough to burn to a cd and start distributing? Or do I need to re-record a few of them? I'm personally not happy with Don Lafontaine (Movie Guy) and Optimus (which I do much better than in the main character demo.

Thanks for the "good luck," Blunticon. God knows I'll need it.

My dream would come true if in 10 years, our up-and-coming Transformer fans are doing impressions of ME as one my characters in "Transformers:???whatever it will be???" on Cartoon Network or where ever TF ends up. But that is a stretch.

10. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Wow, the quality of your recordings is great! In the commercial voiceovers I kinda got some shivers listening to a couple of them.

Man, I hope you find your way into a role somewhere, some day.....

I wish I could help you somehow, but I don't know what to tell ya besides get out there and go for it!

11. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Wow. Thanx! First compliment I've gotten on quality. Believe it or not, $50 mic, $15 pop filter and Creative Labs software on my custom-built PC (not an expensive one either). The quality was one of my biggest worries because I didn't get the demos professionally done.

Yeah, I got that feeling to and I can't pinpoint it. But I've got this time-limit that I've been told by NUMEROUS sources that I feel I have to adhere too. My guess is I really didn't show off my range enough??? I've just got so MANY different clips to use and trying to pick my best when I'm my own worst critic is harder than recording them all!?! :crazy: 

Grimlock's not my best, but it shows off audio fx and I had to re-record Starscream in a hurry because my old clips on my site's demo page had a lot of background noise, but the voice was better. So you were right about being too quick. Thanks on the Slag. Thinking about doing an Autobot ensemble singing YMCA with Grimlock, Slag, Wheeljack and Optimus Prime or maybe an American Idol parody with Optimus trying to sing "You've Got the Touch!" :lol 

Trust me, brutally honest feedback, opinions and constructive criticism is EXACTLY the kind of help I'm looking for right now, so you ARE being a help.

I kind of feel I cheated because none of the characters are my own. Maybe I should put some of my own unique characters in it? I also re-recorded my Optimus Prime (the one's on my YouTube and demos page are much better, again I was in a hurry to get it up the night I uploaded it). It's more G1 (which is the one I like best) so it's more Cullen-25-years-ago. If you listen to g1 and movie '07 back to back, you can tell a huge difference. Anyway, I haven't edited it into my Characters demo yet, but I wouldn't mind opinions on it. Before giving me the "It's not as good as Cullen's" speech, remember, it's just to show my vocal talents. I can do it higher or lower, but like I said, it's based on G1 not anything Cullen's done recently... I mean I was five back then, so I know his voice has changed drastically over the years but the characteristics of it have remained consistent.

12. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I was going to tell you that in my original post, that, maybe it's bad you don't have your own character(s) yet? And good too at the same time? I think in my own mind it would be good to have your own character because thier looking for a particular voice? Not one that has been done before? But maybe its good at the same time because it shows the different voices you have.

Quality shouldn't be an issue because I'm sure the studio where you may speak would be fit and polished, but for a demo of your voices, I think it sounds good.....

I think that an auditioner is looking for that "thing" y'know, something that makes you stick out from the rest.

But maybe the potential employer would be like "give me a disgruntled, angry, male...." then swich it up to "Give me a enthused, joyful, loud voice..." or somethin....

Not like "give me your Optimus voice...." y'know?

13. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    I was going for the point that "check out how close this guy can immitate any voice" type reaction. And yeah, I've a collection of my own characters in my backpocket for just such an occasion as "angry old man" scenario. But it's like the well-respected voice actor Pat Fraley said, "an immitation, even a bad one, can always be a good character for you to use later."

I've given serious consideration to adding some of my favorite characters to my demos. I've stolen voices from people I went to school with, worked with or just met that I've kept for character voices. Heck, that' where half of working voice actors get their voices from! :) 

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Came in here to make fun of you, but nevermind, you're pretty good

15. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Thanks?! I think?! :confused:  No, really. thanks, but criticism is HONESTLY welcome. As I've said, I don't want to waltz into someplace with my demo just because I think it's good and everybody's "pat-pat" on the back and "good job!" and then get let down when they call security cuz I'm so horrible.

You actually sound just like my brother (Voiceroy) who hangs around here to make fun of me! :)