My updated collection display...now with plexiglass AND Lights!

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by Janeails22x, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Hey, everyone! Just thought I would share my latest accomplishment to my Transformers collection display. In addition to adding Alternity Convoy (red) and Waspinator to my family, I gave them a respectable home. I took standard, cheap book shelves from Big Lots, added plexiglass doors (apologize for the reflections in the photos) and then accent lights (electric, not battery) to every shelf. They are now a great centerpiece of discussion for whenever company comes over! Plus, it helps class 'em up a bit to detract from the "they're kids toys" reactions...

I am also posting a shot of Barricade's eyes blazing away in the new setup...

Enjoy! Let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks cool, not sure if its just because I'm looking at the pictures on a phone, but the pictures are fuzzy. But they look cool! The shelves came from biglots? Did the doors you put on them come with them, or did you have to geþ them made custom?

3. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    Your collection

Real nice collection museum quality showcase. But, The pics are a little fuzzy but not to take away from your collection it's fantastic!! Two thumbs up!!!:thumbs2: :cool: 

4. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    cool collection, and awesome displays man

5. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    They look really nice.

6. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    Thanks!

Root Cause for pics being fuzzy....$88 camera from forever and a year ago. I tried a few different settings to try and get the best shots, but they were just not working. Maybe the resolution on the camera was set too low. Sorry about that. Maybe I can try to get better shots at some point. When you all look at the photos, are they clear enough to get the idea? My PC is OLD as well, so everything looks a little off for me... :) 

7. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice collection, and not to take away from it but those shelves are.really.dope! How/what did you use to attach the plexiglass?

8. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    Big Lots...YES! Can you believe it? I personally crafted the doors and installed the lights/ran the electric myself. Not too difficult, just time consuming. Can't argue with the overall price for both cabinets....$40 for the case, $45 for the plexiglass and hardware, and $30 for the lights/wiring. That comes to $115 per case. Not too shabby considering the size and shelf space v. a comparable display case from IKEA, or even Wal-Mart.

PLUS...my wife is completely LOVING the display now! Before, it was tough convincing her that I wanted my collection in a public room (office) rather than, say, the basement or spare room for all to see. Her stipulation...."If you are going to spend all that money on toys, I want them to look like they were a lot of money..." Fine by me....So I shared my vision with her, and Vwah-Lah!

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Looks fantastic, and very classy. The lighting and plexiglass really give it a museum-like quality as F18Starscream said. The Alts look nice with the varied robot and vehicles modes, and I love the topmost shelf of the right case with all the movie Autobots in vehicle mode.

Great setup!

10. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Those are impressive. I had the same idea (bookshelf plus plexiglass door, but my idea was to use white Christmas lights. They wouldn't be as strong, but they'd give enough light to show off the collection.)

Now that I see it works, I will be making this happen.

Target has three shelf stands for $20.00 or so, you can buy a package of plexiglass for about $25.00 at Home Depot (I'd imagine you could do the same at Lowe's...I've yet to check.) and the lights shouldn't be too expensive.

Still, $115.00 for a display like that ain't bad. Wow.

11. tomagnus

tomagnus question the answers

nicely done.

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    imgonna need to get you to build me some doors like the me thinks.. thats awesome!!

13. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Dude that look freaking awesome!!!!

14. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Very clean look to your set-up. I like the formation type look of the movie stuff on the top shelf. The alternators look great too. I also have have illuminted shelving and it adds alot of ambience to any display. My wife also like the looks of my displays now that they have a little more "class". Great job.

15. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    The cabinets rock!!!! I love the lights too!!!!

16. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    Thanks, everyone! Here some clearer (hopefully) photos for your inspection. Enjoy!

Also, I still have not decided if Alternity Convoy belongs anywhere else but with the Movie Autobots. Depending on how big the Alternity line gets, he and Alternity Megs may just up staying with the movie figs...

Oh, and Universe Hound just fit the part for an animated army Jeep. Don't know what it is, but I really do feel he belongs in that line. Cal me crazy, but....yeah....

Attached Files:

17. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Great display, great collection going there. The only problem I see with displaying Alternity with the Movie Bots is that it is way too nice a figure to have placed with a bunch of $10 figs in car mode. That thing deserves a better fate.

18. yojoe007

yojoe007 Member

Your custom cabinets are excellent! Very nice DIY job.

I have wondered though... AFA/toygrader offers the option of "archival" UV safe acrylic in which to house toys - is there a danger of fading if you left the lights on?

Has anyone thought about/discussed this before? Obviously you wouldn't leave the lights on all the time - but I know a person can get sunburnt under a (admittedly uncovered [no uv plate]) halogen downlight, which means it must be able to damage box colours and plastic.

Thoughts?

19. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    It has crossed my mind, but I don't leave them on for maybe a half hour tops. Really only to show them off when company is over or I am changing things. As soon as I am done, I turn them off. I figure, it should take a very long time for me to start seeing a lasting effect, if any, on the toys. Boy, I hope that is the case....

20. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. :bay  That's a great display. Not at all cluttered = awesome. Unlike my room...