Minor/Repaint: My Universe Ironhide mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by shadow panther, Jan 5, 2009.

1. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    I cut off the 2 screwholes inside his roof/backback (special thanks to Matt Booker for the info) so the wheels fit inside the backpack which pulls the figure together. it also helps to raise the robot head up a little. I also slit his neck and wedged a piece of plastic under it to raise the head up even more. i also made a small cut in his arms to lower the sumo arm stance. I swapped out his Head and sunroof with a Henkei Ironhide.

Attached Files:

2. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

hey cool.

3. dare

dare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My question is, why didn't you just do these mods to the vastly superior Henkei Ironhide?

4. shadow panther

News Credits:
    vastly superior is your opinion, I like the Hasbro version better, just couldnt tolerate the allspark blue smurf face

5. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    I just tested it on mine, the wheels can fold under the roof w/o modding anything, looks like 200 times better good heads up

6. C16

C16 Space Nomad

So, you prefer lack of yellow stripes, wrong color on the entire arms and hips, and inferior color on the windows?

7. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That's all subjective.

8. shadow panther

News Credits:
    thank you

9. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Dude they are Homage toys they do not need to be 100% accurate hence him being an SUV instead of a Van. The hasbro version is just fine minus the Blue Milk face LOL and guess what its like 20bucks cheaper

10. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Exactly, they're homage toys, so if there's a version of a toy that gets it closer, that's the superior version.

And Henkei figures only about $15 more. I don't mind at all paying more for something that gets the job done right. And I'm not exactly raking in the money in my life, either, so every one of these purchases is felt by my bank account. So no, inferior colors and layouts are not subjective when you're going for the most G1 accurate version.

11. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Homages are not replicas nuff said and of course to each there own, I prefer a version I can pick up at my local store for 8 bucks instead of paying 25bucks +shipping, and sorry a yellow strip and chrome gun no worth that extra bit, now Hound that is a different story he looks better with the henkei treatment, but others like Ironhide, lambo brothers and some others the US versions are just fine if not superior b/c they don't have random chrome

12. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Prowl and Sideswipe were pretty pointless as far as Henkei goes, but there rest are Usually better is most cases.

By the way, these aren't homages, but actual recreations of these characters. So they should recreate these characters as closely as they possibly can and Henkei did that with the color layouts and paint apps. As for the chrome, I usually remove it anyway so there's no problem for with there.

13. shadow panther

News Credits:
    Ironhide was the only Henkei i ever bought, (unless you cound red powerglide which i dont since hes a USA edition) and it was only for the head, then later on the sunroof. i gave the rest of the Henkei Ironhide to a buddy of mine who has done a load of kitbash work for me. Its all a matter of opinion which versions to get. Im very happy with my Hasbro Ironhide and once modded hes even better.

14. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    Doooooods it's all a matter of personal preference. I mean between the shows/comics/and toys there are to many variances to say one is perfect. I for one like to think that in the 80's some of the designs were good for the 80's. But geez this is 2009, these are highly advanced robots, could it be possible that they would have changed their looks for the times. I like to think of the classics as my orginal transformers just keepin up with the times. To that end I've considered giving my ironhide a more modern stripe. By the way looks good panther I'm workin on my mod for him as well.

15. catch22

Ebay:
    I missed the part where Shadow Panther said he was going for the most G1 accurate version.

16. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Well, when we're dealing with toys that are supposed to be new (as in new toys, not new designs and color schemes), it's only logical to think that if you're going to mod the inaccurate US version, that you're going to go for a more G1 accurate version, not another inaccurate, new version. Seems kind of redundant. Especially if you paid $25 for a Deluxe just to use the head, which is G1 accurate and not the rest.

17. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    The face is the only inaccurate thing and with a quick brush stroke its gone =P

18. catch22

Ebay:
    You're going to go for what you, personally, thinks looks best. The OP finds the current color scheme he's given his Ironhide to be what he considers most pleasing to him. Not everyone cares about G1 accuracy or makes it their (sole) criteria for how they want a figure to look. That's what makes it subjective.

19. Teletran

Teletran Witty title not included

so...is this a thread about a custom or a debate on hasbro vs taktomy? maybe we can get all these off topic posts removed as well...

20. shadow panther

News Credits:
    again thank you,

yes i paid $25 more for basicly a head and a sunroof, but did you catch the part where i gave the remains to a friend of mine? for countless kitbashes and mods hes done for me? win/win situation for my friend and I

I am not going for G1 "accuracy" but for what i prefer, I am slowly getting tired of the GEEWUNN mentality on these boards