Customs: my universe Inferno has a wobbly head, how to fix?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Recall, May 20, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I'm not a radicon but would like to know if there is any cure for my Universe Inferno as he has a very wobbly head,

thanks

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

A coat of Future floor wax or a thin layer of super glue (replace after it dries) has always been the best way to go for me. :thumb 

3. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I pop the part off, apply some superglue and reattach the part while it's still wet. Moving the part around constantly will stop the parts from sticking together and you'll feel when it's about dry. Takes about 5 minutes or so and assures good contact all around.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    the head is held onto the toy by a pin, so i will be able to simply just pull it off?

Ok thank you for the help

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    that head's not on a ball joint from what I recall. You can drip some paint or something that doesn't bond it up into the head from underneath (like under his chin) or like Death333 said some crazy glue, but you gotta move it around until the glue's dry or the head's stuck

6. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

The problem with Inferno's head is that often the head itself isn't wobbly, it's the pin that goes through the neck plate, and into the ball joint itself. It's sometimes not "in" tightly enough, causing the bobblehead phenomenon. There's a little alignment nub on the side of the ball joint's shaft, designed to keep it straight, but when the pin isn't deep enough in, the whole bit wobbles.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the red plastic is much more susceptible to heat than the black of the ball joint, so if you try to heat the pin and push it further in, you'll melt/warp the red plastic first, and then you have a problem.

The best physical way I've found to fix this (and I've fixed it on two universe and one henkei so far) is to unscrew the head and take the halves of the head off, then use some sort of punch or tap on the pin. Put the figure's neck's ball jointed end perpendicular to a hard, flat work surface, like the corner of a brick or a piece of wood, so that the pin is situated vertically -- as if you were going to hammer it through the ball joint and into the wood. Then use a hammer and a punch to give the pin a few taps and see if it still wiggles. If you do this right, it will stay securely, with no evidence or damage.

Alternately, if you're not worried about making a mess, you can try dribbling some liquid (not gel) CA glue into the hole around the ball join's shaft, and that SHOULD eliminate the wobbling for the most part. It's really easy to do, but it can leave glue marks, and may not stay securely if you move the head around too much.