My Turn: RID related

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prowl, May 27, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hadn't watched RID since the show aired.. At the time, I hated it because it was my introduction to the new ANIME ports of TF shows that continued with Armada, Energon, and Cybertron. With so many people on here swearing by it and hoping and praying for a DVD release, I finally decided to give it another shot and download some of the episodes.

Like many who have been on here claiming to finally giving Beast Wars a chance and loving it, I stand corrected on the RID series.

It's amazing what three years of Armada, Energon, and Cybertron (Though I did enjoy this one) can do to cushion your expectations of a show. Not only is what I have rewatched better than the latter shows, but this is probably the closest I have watched to feeling like G1. Witty dialogue, and better pacing in the translation to the followup shows make this really enjoyable. What started my hatred of the show was the Super Power animations that, at the time, were limited to shows like DBZ and other super robots shows, but since Armada and Energon eventually :KINDA: grew on me, these elements on RID were almost non-existent, and what's left is a new show that I'm really enjoying.

Even Koji stands along Spike and Sari as one of very few Humans that aren't annoying, especially compared to the Armada brats.
    Even though it seems like this show will never see a DVD release, I really do hope it happens.

edit: Oh and Niel Kaplan was a great Prime in this show. Though I could have sworn Scott Mcniel played Prime in this show and he was bummed because they didn't pick him for future shows.

Count me in as a RID lover.

2. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Thier a Poet-wroting Shark and Grimlock isn't a T-rex :(  how Optimus and Magnus comb?

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, I have to admit, Sky-Byte got on my nerves somewhat. As for Grimlock.. he's a different character entirely, it's only the name they share. I've never seen that far into the show (I've only seen the dozen or so eps I've got on DVD and a few later ones), but (certainly going by toy bios) this guy appears to be a wise mentor-type figure to Wedge, like the relationship between Kup and Hot Rod. It's like complaining that Energon Mirage isn't an Autobot F1 racer that turns invisible.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was kinda confused by the original post. Is it a quote from the show, about Grimlock and Skybyte?

5. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a good series, The one thing I didn't really like was how Cerebros didn't have a personallity. I loved Skybyte, he's up there with Energon Demolisher ans Snowcat and Kakuryu from Victory who you end up liking because they're fun and seem to have more personallity than some of their autobot opposites.

If you want it on DVD you can always just import it from the uk. We've had it released twice.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think you mean a poem-writing shark (who would be called a Poet) and Unltra Magnus an Prime combine via the use of pegs, many joints, and Magnus splitting into peices. Grimlock isn't a T-rex because he's not G1 Grimlock.

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Just sounded like a straightforward complaint to me, judging by the emoticon, that Sky-Byte was a silly character and Grimlock wasn't a dinosaur. Although I'm not sure exactly what the Omega Prime thing's asking...

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, it was just that the way it was written through me off. I thought it was a quote or something.

One thing I noticed off the bat was they their dialogue exchange felt a bit less forced than Armada, especially between the brothers, almost reminded me of exchanges like "Don't worry, nobody will notice, just make left turns!"

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That's definitely true. I also find it flows better in RiD. In AEC it seems so much more like a dub; the dialogue - and general style - seems that much more... well, Japanese. Shouting your attack moves before you do them works fine in an Eastern series - heck, it's pretty well expected - but when a dub is essentially trying to market itself as a Western series, it totally doesn't work.
    While RiD is certainly marked by the anime stylings, the way it's converted for Western audiences is a lot better.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly Ramrider, and that's something that I am coming to appreciate with this re-viewing. I'm exited because now I have Animated and Rid to look forward to. I'm downloading an episode a day, to ration it. If I can geta multiregion DVD player, I'll be importing that too.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I watched most of the series on Youtube a couple months back. It got on my nerves pretty quick and IMO didn't really get all that great until the Decepticons showed up, got bad again, then Magnus showed up it got alright again for a couple episodes, then got bad again. I still need to finish it I think I had about 10 episodes left to watch.

I do have to agree that Koji is one of the lest annoying humans in TF history. He was involved mostly from an outsider's point of view and was even there in the first place through coicidence. I can handle the corniness and the anime style, but what was the biggest deterrant for me was the voicing. Neil Kaplan did a decent job as Optimus, but I honestly don't like a single voice for any of the Transformers outside of maybe Prowl.

So for me, love love LOVE the toys, not a fan of the cartoon at all.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think most of RiD's silliness in the dialogue and character banter works really well. Transformers works best when there is lightness and joking mixed in with the Srs Business. That's a big part of Animated's appeal as well.

13. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

No it was just Kaplan.

I'm with you though. Despite several things I hated, (The silly skybite/predacon humor etc) RiD was the closest thing to giving me that feeling I got with G1. It still used the classic Transformation noise, I think had some voice flanging, Optimus Prime still sounded like Optimus Prime, the acting was decent, and the Decepticons with Ruination were great. And I loved Team Bullet Train. Plus I'll never forget that moment when I saw Fortress Maximus introduced. My jaw dropped and I about did a backflip while dancing with excitment. That there felt like I was watching "Rebirth" all over again in a brand new decade.

I also agree with you about time and the decline in quality of each passing show. It seems every new show is missing something else and thus the decline does force you to lower your standards. Sad really. It seems to be the case with every series. It's another reason you see people now starting to actually talk more positive about Armada while Armada was really widely criticised & ridiculed during the time of it's original run.

Personally I think its a tragedy for the shows of Transformers. It makes me wonder how long until this re-occuring process of quality decline from show to show drives the brand as a whole into obscurity again like it was in the 90s. But maybe that's just me.

14. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lolol  one thing that I will always remember, is the fans reactions to Scourge being a black semi instead of a flying space boat... good times.

15. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I wasn't online for RiD, so I don't know what the fan reaction was. But I can credit RiD for bringing me into the fandom and putting me online with the rest of the community after it was over and my interest in Transformers was really high again. That and the reissues. I just happened to stumble on news about both one day from Hasbro's website (I think) and that's what got me back into it all.

16. gil

gil Godmaster

RID is my favorite series. I almost have all the toys (missing a handfull though). I also got all the episodes on my ipod. I stopped watching it at episode 12....I guess I better watch the rest before claiming it's my favorite series.

Anyway, another thing about RID is that it got me online. Yup, I was here when it was transfandom, then 2005boards, then tfw2005. I used to call myself godmaster, but since I couldn't call myself "god", I went with gil. I wish I had more time to think of a cool name to replace godmaster, like King Alpha or something......oh yeah, RID rocks.

17. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Just for the record, I popped in my region 2 RID Season 2 Boxset (second release, one with Megatrons face on the box) into my XBOX360 last week, and it played. Now, I bought my 360 used, so someone before me may have modded it, but they didn't tell me that and Im pretty sure they would have.

So, it is possible these latest round of RID series boxset DVDs are not region encoded, or, at least in a way that 360 doesn't recognize.

Can find the boxsets on Amazon.co.uk.

18. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I bought the dvd sets & watched the entire series. I think it's as bad as Energon. I couldn't stand it. How can you like a series when every single bad guy is friggin retarded? One dumbass on a team is acceptable but an entire team of dumbasses is just unwatchable.

Sky-Byte totally ruined it for me. I never wanna watch it again because Sky-Byte was such a dumb & annoying character. What age group was the show aimed at? 2 years old & below?

:thumbdown  RID

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Screw that noise. Scourge was damn competent and nearly conquered the Earth.

20. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Did you watch a single episode with the Decepticons? Aside from the one where they pretend to be Autobots (which I thought was hilarious), they were far from retarded, especially Scourge.

Myself, I love RiD. Sure Megatron sucked but Sky Byte sure made up for that and Omega Prime was just badass personified.