My trip to TFCon 2010

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by n10zguy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. n10zguy

n10zguy Da Hawt Gay Geek

Day 1:
    ------
    Well the first day was a lot of fun and full of excitement. I was picked up from the airport by my great friend Denise (EnragedCoconut) at noon and since she had to go back to work she offered a couple of options of places to be dropped off. I chose the large Asian mall (Pacific Mall). This was a really cool 3 story mall with lots (and I lean LOTS) of little cell-like stores, shops, arcades, and eateries.

I was there a total of 5 minutes when I realized that I left my phone in her car. So here I am with no means of communicating with her or her with me. But I didnt stress it since I knew she was going to be off work about 4:30 I figured I would just go back to where she dropped me off around then. So I began my exploration of this place. All I have to say is that if I lived in Toronto, I would be coming there everyday just to eat. There is SO much stuff to try! The prices arent anything spectacular in the shops but it's fun to just walk around and people watch and I could do that for hours. :lol  I did pick up about half a dozen new flavors of Kit-Kats (anyone who knows me, knows I'm obsessed over them. :) 

Met this REALLY nice guy who was my waiter at the Axia restaurant (really nice Korean Bistro) and became friends with him. Went to the Arcade where I saw all these games you normally only see in Japan. One of these games has the unique ability to make ANY male who plays it look totally gay. It's like a motion sensor version of DDR which also uses your hands. :lol 

Well about 4:20 I went to meet Denise where she dropped me off. I copped a squat on the wall and waited... and waited... and waited... 5:30 rolls around and suddenly it occurs to me "hmmmm... maybe she didnt notice my phone was in her car" So I found this local internet cafe send a shout out to all our friends to let her know where I am as well as sending her an email. This becomes more funny when you realize that for the next 4 hours she was getting constant messages from people telling her where I am. :lol  Well she picked me up and we were on our way to the Pre-reg and Parts Party at the Hotel. There wasn't really anyone there when we got there so we decided to get something to eat at Sushi-Ya across the street (sushi twice in one day = WIN!!). We went back afterward hoping more people were there. I was really disappointed with the parts party as it was about half as big as it was last year. I did get some good deals, though I couldnt buy much since I had no means to bring it all back. I did manage to pick up a RotF Bruticus for $30, an e-hobby RM Black Lio Convoy for $55, about 5 movie Sidewipes/Swerves for $4 each), a loose Magnaboss and Animated Safeguard for $5. Met some people I knew and new ones as well and just hung out and chatted for a while.

We left about 10pm and headed back to her house. Now... I had heard about all the stuff that was in her house but never really saw it for myself. As we pulled into the driveway I saw the "legs" of the 15 ft. Optimus Prime she bought from last year's TFCon and the upper half upstairs. It was just too cool seeing it there. And in her living room I saw the DDR machine. My eyes lit up!!! She broke out some bottles of wine and we proceeded to spend the next 3-4 hours drinking, talking, and playing DDR. It was an AMAZING DAY!

Day 2:
    ------
    We woke up bright and late. :lol  We got out about 9~ish and headed straight to the convention. I picked up all the Nightbirds people ordered from me and a couple more. Got a few copies of the TFCon comic (the comic REALLY is very good). The Dealer room was another disappointment. Last year I go some amazing deals and most things were priced pretty fairly. This year, it seemed like price-gouging was the reigning theme. There were people there with PCC 5-packs for $50 and MP Ghost Starscream for $175-$200, but there were a few decent prices here and there if you looked hard enough. The only thing I picked up was another Aveo swerve for $20.

I swung by the reg desk around 1pm because I received an email from TFCon regarding any extra openings/cancellations for the customs class. I lucked out and it turns out there was one opening left and I got it. SCORE!!! Normally I am not a big "panel" person but I wanted to check out the Customization panel (cause Dak is just DA MAN and a REAL "Pro customizer"). After it was done Denise wanted to see a little of the script reading with David Kaye so we hung out there a little longer. This is when things got interesting. One of the roles people were auditioning for was Blackarachnia. Denise kept egging me on to try out for it and right when they were down to the last 2 people auditioning I caved and went up. I delivered the line and sat down. They did call backs for 4 people and guess who was one of them... yup... me. So I delivered the line one more time and sat back down. They needed to do ANOTHER call back for 2 people. Yup... me again... I was like "WHAT!?!?" So I got back up there and said the line ONE more time. And somehow I landed the role of Blackarachnia! :lol  The script reading was great and everyone complimented me on my performance (even David Kaye said he was really impressed with me! YAY!). We had a drink to celebrate and then headed for home.

We stopped at the "Real Canadian Superstore" (I kid you not, that's what it was called), and I was like a kid in a candy store... literally. I was getting all kinds of stuff I had never seen before. And Denise was insistent that I try these things called Ketchup chips (apparently VERY different from the kind over here in the states :lol  ). We got home and I enjoyed a home-cooked steak dinner. Denise is an AMAZING cook! Afterward, I went to a yet unexplored section of the house... Adam's playroom downstairs. Now, I knew that Adam was a gamer and a fan of pinball... I had no clue how big till I saw about 10 pinball machines in their basement. Plus he had an Arcade cabinet that had a ton of older arcade games in it. I was in 8-year-old HEAVEN!!! I was playing games I hadn't played in decades!!! Adam brought the Ketchup chips down (they are right... SO much better than the states!) and we proceeded to drink (he had beers and I had some kind of Clamato drinks) and play video/pinball games till like 2am. Again... another AWESOME DAY!! I was so not wanting to leave the next day

Day 3
    -----
    Knowing I needed to be in the customs class at 10a and had to pack up to leave later, we got up a little earlier and headed out to the convention. Got there in time to peruse the dealer room again. On Sundays, the convention becomes an 80's Toy Expo and therefore a lot of the tables that had mostly TFs were replaced with tables that had every other kind of toy you can imagine. I was seeing obscure stuff I had long since forgotten about. :lol 

I headed over to the custom class where we were making G2 Flash from the Aveo Swerve mold. It was a really well done class with only a minor hiccup with the screwdrivers but I had a great time. While I was there my friend Ryan came in. He knew I was still looking for a Human Alliance Mudflap and he found one for me for $16! I was thrilled! Got my figure done and had to leave early because my flight was leaving at 3:30pm.

This TFCon was full of fun experiences for me and I feel like now it has become just as much a yearly tradition as Botcon. I can't wait for next year!

2. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, I didn't know TFCon had that much stuff going on. Very cool!

And grats on the HA Mudflap. Still need that one myself.

3. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    RotF Bruticus for $30 Not bad at all.

4. n10zguy

n10zguy Da Hawt Gay Geek

Oh yeah, TFCon has tons of stuff going on. It's a great alternative to Botcon!

5. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Nice to see you had such a great time. There's a TFCon thread just a few threads down actually. Axia is one of my favourite restaurants as well. I go there on Wednesday's for my favourite special "bibimbap" =) I live like 5 minutes away by walking haha. Did you drop by Gundam Base in Pacific Mall? They carry Japanese Transformers stuff too.

6. n10zguy

n10zguy Da Hawt Gay Geek

Yeah I went to Gundam Base. I have to say though that all the places selling TF items were just outrageous in prices. All their Alternity figures were like $75 and they also had Masterpiece figures for like 50% higher than anywhere else... It was still fun to walk around and people watch . 8)

7. Bruticus11

Bruticus11 White Elephant Hunter

Ebay:
    Whats gundam base ??????

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Gundam Base is a store in Pacific Mall in Markham that sells, besides toonnnnnns of Gundam merchandise and assorted other anime model kits, import Transformers. There are actually a few stores you can find Transformers in at Pacific Mall, across a wide spectrum of recent domestic, import, and bootleg releases.