Minor/Repaint: My tries at restoring yellowed plastic.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by AutoCon2076, Mar 13, 2010.

1. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

My tries at restoring yellowed plastic. (A WIP)

So I've decided to take a crack at removing the yellowing from white plastic. Frenzy_Rumble was nice enough to give me a link to Chan's original thread (found here: hydrogen peroxide vs sun fading tested - Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion ). So earlier today I took a before shot of my Cerebros figure. He's decently yellowed, and if I did this right... said yellowing should be gone by tomorrow. So here's the first pic - I'll post the follow-up when it's complete. I'm also going to attempt this trick on a badly yellowed Chromedome figure I have.

~Z

Note: The light is really a lot brighter than the picture shows. It's a halogen desk lamp from Wal*Mart with the UV shield removed.

Attached Files:

2. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Remember to stir/shake! :) 

Also, I see you disassembled him, which is good since metal will corrode in Hydrogen Peroxide.

Good luck.

3. AutoCon2076

Thanks. Does anyone know if a fluorescent blacklight will give me the same results as a UV lamp or the sun? It's going to be raining here till Tuesday and I dont want to sleep with a bright white lamp on, ya know?

~Z

4. Ecmagee1984

Ecmagee1984 Big E

Ebay:
    Were did you pick up the hydrogen peroxide from? Good luck

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    HO is available in the health-care section of just about any store :) 

The U/V lamp question is the better one. If it really is just the UV spectrum that's key, I would imagine a blacklight would work, I always planned on using one when I got around to experimenting with this, but I've never heard anyone weigh in whether it would work or not.

D/L

6. AutoCon2076

Wally-World (Wal*Mart) had a 32 fl oz. bottle for like $00.62 - not too shabby if ya ask me. I sure hope this works. If it doesn't, at least I got a nice desk lamp out of it. I'll try the black light method tonight.

~Z

7. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    subscribed to see results!

8. AutoCon2076

So I got a Halogen desk-lamp to do this with, and it came with a clear piece of glass covering the bulb, but it doesn't have 'UV Filter' printed on it or anything. I sure hope this type of bulb works...

~Z

9. AutoCon2076

The first pic was taken shortly after the picture in the first post. However there's less sepia tone so the color is more accurate to life. The second picture was taken a few minutes ago. I had the desk lamp beaming onto the jar last night for about five hours. Overnight I had a fluorescent black light placed right next to it.

Now its back to the desk lamp. I want to say its whiter, but it's probably just my camera. I still haven't found my good ol' Kodak just yet. So I plan to leave the light on for the duration of the day. I'm still pondering on whether or not I bought the wrong kind of lamp, as I've heard halogen bulbs are less UV than incandescent, but I'm not too sure.

In a worst-case scenario the sun is bound to shine again, and I've got windows that face East and windows that face West. So do you think it looks lighter, or is it just my phone's camera playin tricks on me? I did notice that the chest sticker is now gone (it was quite worn before), but that's why Delta_Star does what he does.

~Z

Attached Files:

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    hey Z, if you're looking for a full-spectrum light bulb, try a petstore. They sell them for reptiles.

11. AutoCon2076

That was a rather good idea; thank you much. I went to the Pets Plus and got what I needed. I told the guy there I needed the most skin-cancer inducing light bulb he had. So I got a 150W desert lamp for $15. The lights that hold these things ranged from $29-$59 dollars each though. Yet the manager came through again with a back-room special on a used store-lamp for only $5. I think the difference can be seen already.

Though anyone who does this do remember that the peroxide gets hot - Ive had it steaming a few times already and had to pull the lamp.

~Z

This pic compared to the first one is night and day. 0_0

Attached Files:

12. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

The peroxide does get hot, and it does form bubbles. I've never had it steam, but then again I've only done it in sunlight.

Might want to move the lamp a little further away. :p 

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, I remember having to buy full spectrum bulbs for my iguana in college. They were just regular bulbs though, and about $5 each I think.

14. evil ivotron

evil ivotron destroy'em all

Place the container outside in the sun. It needs to create heat in the container. Summer season is the best time to do it, results will be within 12 -24 hrs. Low light and no heat it will take 48 hrs and up. At that duration in the solution it's going to start peeling the stickers.

15. Fe 26

Fe 26 Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to try this for a while on the white parts of my Fort Max. It seems like more than half of the FM's on the market have bad sun Yellowing.