My Transformers movie wager with a co-worker

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Roller, May 14, 2007.

1. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I bet a co-worker $5 that Transformers will be the number #1 highest grossing movie worldwide this year. We're using this as the source to determine the highest grossing movie:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2007&p=.htm

Statistically, I'm at a disadvantage, as there are about 6 or so movies that could take the #1 spot other than Transformers (Spiderman 3, Shrek 3, Pirates 3, Fantastic Four 2, Harry Potter whatever the hell number it is, and Simpsons). So far his main horse is Spiderman 3, but we think Shek 3 will overtake Spiderman based on the fact that Shrek 2 is #7 of all-time.

My only good objectional arguements for Transformers being #1 is that Transformers is an original movie, non-sequal wise and concept wise, and that the worldwide audience types that would see this movie are pretty numerous (fan boys like us, the casual "oh yeah, I remember those" fans, kids of all ages, etc). Time will tell.

2. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm really not liking your odds on this one. I doubt Transformers can make around $1Billion worldwide. And I think Spidey 3, Shrek 3, and POTC 3 will all be around there.

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As much as I'd love to see it be true, I think you'd better put away a fiver in preparation.

4. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    im betting that spiderman and pirates of the carribean will both beat transformers significantly. i dont think that the new shrek has any chance, because, well, its rubbish

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Congrats, you just lost five dollars.

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Agreed, I think TF will do well, but it's in no way going to be the #1 grossing film of the year.

7. dbec1

dbec1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree you lost, but I think Tformers will be bigger than Spidey and Pirates in the looong run and (a little off topic) will kill them with merchandise sales. Kids have been force fed Spidey and Pirates for years they need something new.

8. prime'sgloryday

prime'sgloryday New Member

Sorry 'bout the $, but I think Transformers will be big, even though the characters are gettin' creepy. Very cool, but creepy. Why does Jazz have only 3 fingers?

9. Quickswitch

Quickswitch Assault Warrior

I think Transformers will do marginally well, but if it's truely a "good" movie, I can't see Harry Potter coming over & just atomizing the crap out of it.

I mean, I've seen movies that sucked come out & the comericals pump them up for a week then go *POOF* & we never see anything about the movie until it's coming out on DVD.

Sequels draw people in to see the continuation of the story ("Oh the last one was good, I gotta see what happens next!"), but there are movies that can draw people simply on some sort of general appeal. Giant robots fighting in the streets w/ explosions is SURE to attract some people.

We can all make educated guests on this stuff, but none of us will know what's going to happen until July 4th comes along....or until Botcon when the movie is out early. Then we'll know if it's awesome or if we should all start looking for a new franchise to follow. :inquisiti 

-Quickswitch

10. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

You wouldn't expect it, but Harry Potter is a cash cow. I research box office mojo and to my suprise it had one of the highest grossing totals out of all the blockbusters I looked at.

I think you might be out five bucks.

11. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformers sequels will be #1. I'm not sure this first one can do it. It may be close, though.

12. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Too bad you didn't make sequel exclusions one of the rules of the bet.

The odds may have been more in your favor.

13. Prowl S

Prowl S Marine Poolee

Don't back down bud, I've read the script 5 times and based on that, plus word of mouth I'm pretty sure it has a chance at number 1.