My Transformers G1 collection, rate it!

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by ifkz, Dec 23, 2011.

1. ifkz

ifkz New Member

This is all the fault of my soon to be wife. You see, a year or so after I first met her, I casually mentioned that I had saved a few toys from my childhood through the years. Two boxes worth, roughly the size of regular file storage boxes. She tells me I should display them. They see the light for the first time in at least a decade, and I start to notice some are missing parts and my six month collecting habit is started. As I went through online databases, I found a few figures I missed and I purchased them for the first time (like Fortress Maximus).

I knew about my second year of college that what I had could be worth a couple thousand, but I still kept them for sentimental reasons. I always thought I would enjoy sharing them with my kids. Now I realize they have gotten far too fragile for that; they are really just for display to take me back to an earlier era.

It is not perfect. Cyclonus arm peg broke off when I first got him back in the day and is being held together with glue. Same goes for Vortex. Reflector was the only mail away that I ever got, but I lost the middle guy but kept the arms and lens part. I found an armless one at auction, but I think he is a vintage knock off. I combined everything to make a nice looking figure though.

You will also noticed many are missing weapons...as expensive as a fist for Predaking was, I couldn't imagine spending that to outfit my armies with everything they're missing. I have a strong feeling this will be as far as I will take it. I appreciate feedback about this...is it all junky? Or decent? I have avoided all reproduction parts, this is almost 100% vintage.

This is my first post here :) 

Fortress Maximus. You will notice Spike has been replaced with Gort. There are too many reproduction Spike's on the market to take the chance at getting a fake. Has a new sticker set, I'm upside down per the value now; I blame the economy.
    [​IMG]

Early Autobot cars and Dinobots. These sets really got me into collecting these once again, I love the detail, scale versus the later G1 line.
    [​IMG]

Metroplex and my original Prime. No fists, and at the going rate and my finances lately, he's going to stay a trailer.
    [​IMG]

Headmasters. Gort is on vacation with Cerebros. Nothing like spending $40 for a head at auction :p 
    [​IMG]

The start of the evil Decepticons. Megatron is beside Octane, not really visible.
    [​IMG]

The jets and 1986 movie tie-ins. I still love that movie, one of the finest animated flicks ever....glad to see it got some respect in re-release. Starscream!
    [​IMG]

A couple decepticon headmasters and we can't forget Shockwave :) 
    [​IMG]

I still had the collecting bug, so I dove into some of the newer Bayverse movie 'bots to fill in some of the character holes from G1. I never did like the toys for Ironhide or Ratchet, but I do like the new ones. My newer toy collection is much smaller and is for another thread.
    [​IMG]

2. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    Looks great.

Not sure if it is meant but the seeker wings are not in the right position, but then you may want it that way.

CHeers

3. MyClone

MyClone Well-Known Member

Beautiful display, made more meaningful by its connections to your childhood and spouse. Thanks for sharing here, and let's see some more of your toys!

Happy holidays, MyClone

4. charsdc2

charsdc2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice g1 figures!

5. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I give your collection a two.........thumbs up. Makes me wish I was knocking out some G1 stuff I need to get, but sadly my budget can barely handle all the Classics/3rd Party/MPs on my wish list right now. When I finally knock those out in about a year, it is back to G1 for me.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Might be his choice. For example, I intentionally have my G2 Ramjet posed like a regular seeker (conehead to the back, tall part of the wings upwards) because I think he looks better that way. Plus, I have different guns on his arms anyway (and he was always my lead baddie as a child), so it's not like he's really the same character that he was marketed as anyway.

Also, +rep for Flywheels. :) 

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I did your collection and rate it "awesome" :rock 

8. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Great collection! Where's G1 Bee? I see Goldbug though. :) 

9. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Great vintage collection ! so many memories included, and figures don't need to be mint IMO to be enjoyable. :) 

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Love G1 collections the most and this is awesome. Nicely done.

11. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    I wish I still had my old stuff. Sadly I sold it years ago. :-( Many years later I started collecting again. I was buying MIB figures the second time around. Even if they were MISB I would open them up and put the stickers on. I enjoyed displaying the figures AND the boxes. Always loved the box art. I didn't have them long though. I thought to myself "You're too old to be doing this. Why did you spend so much on this stuff?". Big mistake. I wish I had kept them. I had some really great stuff. Fast forward to more recent times. I bought some of the Alternators figures...and ended up selling those too.

A couple of years ago I started buying again. This time I was buying the Masterpiece figures. I LOVE the Masterpiece stuff. The only thing I sold this time was Optimus...so I could get the one that comes with the trailer. I have Optimus, Grimlock, Megatron with upgrade kit, Starscream with coronation set and Skywarp. Then I thought to myself "hmmm those Alternators are about the right size to go with my MP figures". So I started buying Binaltechs since I prefer metal over plastic. I bought a bunch of those along with some of the Reprolabels sets to make them look more G1.

Then along comes 2011 and something that I just simply couldn't pass up regardless of the ridiculous price...a giant sized Devastator. I have the first four TFC Toys and am just waiting like everybody else for the last two. Then for Christmas my wife bought me the re-issue Predaking along with some of the CrazyDevy upgrades.

So, at this point I'm definitely a collector again. I'm not going crazy and buying just anything though. I'm really selective. Lately I've been really fighting the temptation to get the ROTF Bruticus Maximus with the Fansproject upgrade kits. He looks really cool but I'd have to drop $350 or better to get it and I think he'd be a good bit smaller than Devastator or Predaking. I think I might wait and see if someone makes a larger scale Bruticus.

12. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

Nice.

Not perfect either, but neither is mine.

Not too many of can say 80% of my collection was mine from back in the day either :)  I always appreciate the one's where the figures are original to the owner as well. What I have on display is probably 70-80% vintage from my own younger days.

What's not perfect are the one's that hold the most memories from playing with them.

I am slowly gathering the small amount of missing pieces that I need as well as adding to my collection.

U will find many good people and deals on this sight to add to your collection in the future