Minor/Repaint: My Trailer for Armorhide (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Methusalen, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    OK, I realize that I'm not the first to do this, and I really am late to the party... but I wanted to post up my first kitbash/repaint...

The Hot Wheels Truckin' Transport trailer repaint for Armorhide!

I'd seen the trailer at Toys 'R' Us a while back and thought it might be the right scale for Armorhide, but quickly forgot about it. I remembered it once again when I stumbled across Redline and Chaos Muffin's threads regarding their take on the trailer, and the rest of you here at TFW2005 and your excitement in the project...

I was amazed that Redline got Reprolables (and Delta) to produce a set, that they'd give away none the less! After looking at the thread started by Redline in November (after the deadline for the sticker set), I thought late was better than never, and started looking for the trailer again.

Well, I found it last week, and emailed Delta at Reprolabels.com about the sticker set, to see if it were still available (for purchase). Luckily for me, the answer was yes, and I happily sent them my $10 a few days ago. (Waiting on them to arrive, very soon!)

Anways, without further adieu!

Before:
    [​IMG]

Krylon Fusion Hammered Silver:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last pic here shows a goof on my part, where I had let the paint mass in the corner of the H, tried to remove a bit of it, and left a rough spot, which I had to sand out later...

Axles:
    [​IMG]
    Were originally to be the same as the trailer, but I decided to go with black instead...

Radar Dish/Gun Emplacement:
    [​IMG]
    I was originally going to copy Redline's idea and paint the detail on the dish, but my skills aren't that good (haven't picked up a modeling paint brush in over ten years!), so painted the front of the dish silver, and think it looks pretty good!

Painting begun:
    [​IMG]
    I started with these sections first, as I thought it'd be best to start somewhere where I could paint over my messes...
    [​IMG]
    Painted the big H in the center of the helipad. I wanted to use colors on Armorhide as a basis for the interior of the trailer, so blues, silver/grey, yellow...
    [​IMG]
    This is where I stand as of now, I think I'm done (sans clear coating anyways! )

I was thinking of using some red (to tie in with the red on his rifle) in the circle around the H, but am leary of having to paint around the yellow with black to make it stand out a bit more... Even painting around the section around the circle I don't feel confident with... The last thing I want to do is paint it, then feel as if I'd added too much, and had to start over... Later on I may change my mind and repaint it, but for now... I think I might be nearly finished!

I'll update as I continue (clear coat and stickers), but wanted to post the thread here, and give my thanks to Redline and Chaos Muffin for their helpfulness to my PM's to them and their advice in my little project...

Feel free to leave advice, comments, or criticism... Just go easy on me, as this is my first repaint! (I mean, does it really qualify as a kitbash? All I used my dremel on was the trailer peg, to get it to fit Armorhide's 'fifth wheel'! :D )

2. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

sweet looking job...

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    of course it qualifies as a kitbash. You're repainting and modifying it aren't you? :)  It looks good so far, but just a tip: I think the red around the yellow might just look a little garish. Perhaps paint the octoganal line that's between the circle and the big blocks of blue you have red.. sometimes less is more, and besides that, the red of his rifle IS really a highlight color and not a major one.

oh, and thanks for the props :D 

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I like how you added blacks within the blue areas of the trailer. Might try that on mine. Looks great so far, you did a nice job on it. The paint looks smooth and the colors blend well
    I used a dremeled down drywall anchor for my trailer peg lol
    If you want to make a trailer arm, Stikfa or Bionicle parts work good . Was thinking about getting a Hybrid Covvoy sticker sheeet from Reprolabels to add more interior decorating, like computer screens etc

Here's a pic incase you need for reference or comparing
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/loebig/Kitbash/Armorhidecustomtrailer.jpg

Wonder what everyone did to the Hotwheels cab that came wit hthe trailer. Mine got mutilated for kicks :lol  Still trying to find away to add it's chrome smokestacks to Armorhide

5. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Well, of course I'm going to give you two props, you two WERE the inspiration of the bash in the first place!:D 

After sleeping on it, and a few comments by others, I'm pretty sure that I'm done. The red might look good on it, but at this point I'm going to say 'done!'. The bionicle arm I'll pass on, I thought about it, but decided to pick up LOC Evac and use him within the trailer (and the arm'd take up too much room). Sometime soon, a clear coat will be applied, and (after the sticker applications) I will consider my first kitbash DONE!

Oh, as for the truck cab, I tossed it out (much to the annoyance of a friend of mine, who was certain he could figure out a way to get the tires onto either Armorhide (or off Armorhide onto the trailer)... I'm not concerned about it, I think it looks fine as is!

Thank you again guys!

6. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Interesting. Your trailer is molded in silver. The one I purchased is white. I think I like the silver better. :) 

EDIT: Doh! I missed the part where you painted it silver.

Time for new glasses, I think.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your work looks stellar, Meth! I really love how you are deliberately pulling in the colosrs from Armorhide into your work. It really unifies your piece and Armorhide. Keep it up man!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitbash

Just to be clear on some terminology, a "kitbash" refers to a piece that has two existing pieces that are fused together to create one final piece (the "bashing" of two "[model] kits". If Armorhide himself was actually fused physically into the piece (not simply by attaching him to the trailer hitch), then this would qualify as a "kitbash."

What you have here, Meth, is commonly referred to as a "custom" piece, or more specifically, a "repaint."

Scratchbuilds are obviously those created using base material (such as styrene) to physically build a toy.

This has been my understanding anyways. Often times the words "kitbash" and "custom" are used synonymously, but I understand them as two different terms. I hope that helps! :thumb 

8. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Very nice!

I've got the trailer AND the labels myself, but still haven't done anything with it...

Although I must say, LoC Whirl will go well with it.

(Though I picture the trailer as an armory/battlestation of some sort)

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    well, he's taking a hotwheels toy and a transformers toy and combining them into one toy, so there.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    "I knew you'd say that."

This would be a custom trailer for Armorhide. A kitbash of the trailer would be taking another toy and fusing it into the trailer itself, or taking another toy and altering Armorhide himself with it :thumb 

11. REDLINE

News Credits:
    eh I disagree with your semantics, as you're swapping cabs out for the hotwheels toy :p 

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I suppose *shurgs*

punk :duel 

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    :Gouki:  piznatch :p 

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Bring it!

15. REDLINE

News Credits:
    to use one of my character's legit quotes (you can see it on his website):

"Is REDLINE gonna hafta choke a 'bot?"

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Sounds like we're going to have a clash of the bots soon . . . :ev: 

17. Methusalen

News Credits:
    LOL... First, thanks for the kind words all, I appreciate it!

And, thanks for the clarification on the definitions there, I'd pretty much assumed mine was a 'repaint'...

Now, to watch the brawl... :D 

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Keep up the good work man!

. . . and rest assured the battle's never over; the war wages on!

19. Methusalen

News Credits:
    SETBACK!!!

So, Armorhide's not too thrilled with me at the moment...
    [​IMG]

The Rerpolabel sticker set came in the mail today, and it's sheer brilliance made me want to wrap up Armorhide's trailer.
    [​IMG]
    ^ Beautiful isn't it?

So, I applied a thin clear coat to the interior of the trailer, waited an hour, and came back to... cracks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like I have to start over from scratch... Pull out the paint thinner and strip it down to bare plastic and start again! (Maybe this time not use as much paint the first time around as well!) Any other advice you professionals might want to give this newbie painter?

This 'goof' also gives me the opportunity to think about making a dolly for the trailer... I was looking at Walmart for something cheap to use, and found a minicon pair for $1! It contained Razorclaw/Steamhammer. Steamhammer seemed to be a perfect candidate, since his hips & knees are both jointed... Heck, I might even go an odd way and use his upper body, his elbows would be able to rotate down 90* if I saw off bits of his upper arms... Something to think about anyways...

20. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ouch! I feel so bad for you.

Yeah, you have to test your clear coats on something you don't care about to see if it reacts with the paint. I've wrecked projects the same way. I don't know what paints you're using, but do try a different clear coat.

It hurts to look at those pics. It's almost gory!