My toy-comic preview

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by cappeca, Feb 13, 2006.

1. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

I was posting some toy-comic tests at the cool stuff thread, but since I have to concentrate on this project now, I thought it would be better to have a separate thread. Anyway, this is just a preview of my toy-comic - not like them funny robots or anything, but a serious attempt to a DW Micromasters sequel.

(I have divided the pictures in two later posts on this thread).

Let me know what you think so far.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks awesome so far. Can't wait for the story.:thumb 

3. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks pretty good so far. Can't wait to see more. :thumb 

4. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

Keep it comin' cappecca; looks great so far :thumbs2: 

I've always liked the idea of a Transformers dio-story; I just always figured that they're too large to make believeable backgrounds for.

I can't WAIT to see just how wrong you prove me :rock 

Have fun!!!

5. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Hehehe, yes they are!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's gonna be hell to make all scenes, and I haven't figure out yet how to do in-flight shots. But I'll cross that space bridge when I get to it.

6. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Beaten to the punch AGAIN!

Seriously, we're so close to doing the same sort of thing it's scarey. And at damn near the same time. Granted, you've got a different story going on, but, wow.

My biggest complaint with most picfics is that the background ends up being whatever the person happens to have laying on their desk. I really, REALLY wanted to rectify that when I made my attempt, and haven't been ready for it until just the past couple weeks. And I'm restricting myself to smaller Transformers for the moment, just to keep size down. That'll change soon, but for now I've got a small room.

It looks like we're using slightly different materials for our dioramas though.
    http://www.theleehousehold.com/pics/Set1/Set1.html

I really wanted mine to stay consistant at all times.

I hope you don't mind me posting a link to the only panel I've completed thus far. If you do, say the word and I'll pull it with an edit. Myself, I think it's an interesting comparison between the two to see how a similar idea can go in such different directions:
    http://www.theleehousehold.com/~leenatha/tfrecursion0.1/

Sorry for straying off-topic into self-promotion for a moment.

On yours, it's nice to see the effect you've chosen to give your pictures a comic look. Different from the effect I've chosen, yet both seem highly effective. I also like the characters in your first couple pages. And it looks like you've prepared some good set props so you should have some very interesting visuals coming up.

I'll be looking forward to watching your progress. And, hopefully, at some point, we can swap stories on what works and what doesn't work with our dioramas. It looks like you're enjoying it, and that's the main thing.

Keep rocking. It's going to be a blast seeing someone else starting a similar project at almost the same time.

Out of curiosity, how much prep-work did it take? For me it was nearly two years since I first thought of it until the first picture was shot for that first panel. But a lot of that was time spent coming up with the room to do the project. How about for you?

7. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

I know! I just saw that recursion pic of yours, and went "Whoa!" Your set is looking really nice.

Other than the regular techno-junk to build up the scenario, I'm using 3d paper models for most of it, because of the textures. I'm familiar with miniature gaming, so paper models came quite handy for me. I'm about to hack some Quake II textures also and see how it works. Check the models out here:

http://www.swminiatures.com/
    http://www.worldworksgames.com/

I haven't given a try on your tutorial yet, but it seems that the way you do it you have more control over the shadows. I just do some edge posterization and reduce saturation. This was actually inspired by one of alphie's first "cool stuff" pics, with MP Optimus Prime. That pic looked right out of a comic book, and I just thought "That's what I'm looking for!"

I had the idea ever since Micromasters #4 was out, can't remember when. I read the comic, and I just couldn't believe it - Shockwave has a nuclear reactor on his back, he couldn't let Skystalker get him like that! That story had to be re-told, and DW was giving signs that it was going nowhere. Then it all fell in place in my head, and I started writing. I thought about asking some friend of mine to draw it for me, but I saw the pics in the cool stuff thread and realized it would be possible to do it with toys. Plain pics of toys always look goofy - no matter how good they are, you can always insert some smart-ass comic bubble (some are very funny, naturally) and completely destroy its seriousness. But once you edit some pictures, give them more shadow and make them look less toy-ish, there's plenty of good material to work with.

So far I have written 30 pages, with a basic layout of how it's going to end. I had to deconstruct DW's comics, then deconstruct my own and start mapping the sets. For this first volume, I'll have 3 different sets, already planned and sketched. I could only start now because I just bought my own camera and a few lamps (was using my in-laws' stuff during the holidays). My concern now is to not fall on the "fanboy" class once the comic is finished.

I hope you guys enjoy. And it'll be fun to do a similar project at the same time with another. Either we're both completely lost or doing something very right. :thumbs2: 

8. Night Flame

Thanks.

Whereas I'm more a model builder first. So, of course, my first gut reaction was styrene and paint. One of those interesting counter-points we've got going on with each other.

I think I remember that pic. And like I said before, I kind of like the effect. Not exactly the look I was going for, so it's interesting to watch your progress and compare it to mine. I think we've both got good comic look and feel going on, but achieve it in very different ways.

Interesting. My idea sort of stemmed from the idea of there being a Cybertron way after the war had ended, where the robots are so bored that they are copying old human behaviors to pass the time. Hence, a group of them get together to make a series of picfics about the "good old days," when the war was still raging. So I'll have a very serious story, counter-balanced by the somewhat comedic "real world" that exists outside the main story.

All of which sounds ridiculous just written out like that. But I think I'm getting the idea together in a way that should work. I guess we'll see.

Yep. Kind of my thought. In a way, we can sort of have a nice little competition and push each other to do better. At least, I hope that's the end result.

This is gonna be a blast.

9. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    cappeca, those pictures look great. Can't wait to see what kind of story goes with it :) 

It is amazing both you and Night Flame are doing pic-fics at the same time, very fortunate for us :D 

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    nice backdrop, composition and effects. good job.

i noticed your using KO constructicons tho, by the dodgy face scuplts.

11. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Yep. My originals are MISB :D  [​IMG]

12. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

I have added 5 more pages to the first post. That's the last of the previews - I'm only posting again when it's done.

13. Night Flame

Nice.

I've still got a long ways to go on my sets, so I haven't gotten anything else ready for posting on mine. But I have managed to work out the code for my website when the time comes. Pretty snazzy really. I just have to upload the pages in numerical order and the site code will take care of the rest.

Sometimes it pays to be a developer in my day job.

I really like the way some of those panels just look identical to an old-school comic. You've definitely got a good thing going on there. Keep rocking.

14. kissmekillme

kissmekillme Well-Known Member

Honestly I'd prefer just the straight up pictures. I hate filters. Hate them with a fiery passion. They make things look ugly and are mostly just lowgrade shortcuts to things that could be done better manually. Filters only really look good when worked over a LOT. They just look cheesy and in some panels really muddy up the scene and reduce the clarity of the storytelling. You're using photos, not drawings, and they'll never be drawings. Use the craft of photography and the art of it instead of trying to replicate some drawn effect with filtration.

15. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Thanks for the feedback. I rather not do straight up pictures because they would look too close to humorous comics strip people have been doing lately - I thought if I want to make something serious I'd have to add some "style" and keep distance of plain photos, just to force the viewer to look at them in a different way. As for the storytelling, I'm also concerned about the muddy scenes you pointed, but I'm counting on the lettering effect afterwards, which might improve the overall look (and not polute everything up). I'll letter a page tonight and put it up so we can see how it goes.

16. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your strip is looking so awesome!:thumb 

17. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Looks interesting. Good job :thumb 

18. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Finally I got the pages lettered. If there's anything wrong with the writing, please let me know so I can fix it as soon as possible - english is not my native language.

19. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

Lookin' GREAT, cappeca :rock 

Keep it up!!!

20. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The story sounds very intriguing.:thumb