My Top Ten Transformers of 2008

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rherk, Dec 6, 2008.

1. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    I think this is now the fourth year I've put together my top ten favorite Transformers of the year. It is always controversial as everyone has different tastes within the Transformers universe. I was happy the movie toys were mostly gone this year as the designs less than impressed me. We saw a slight return of Binaltech's even if they were just repaints but best of all we saw the birth of Transformers Animated, the surprisingly wonderful toy line. I liked each and every figure from the series and could have easily just done a top ten of the series alone. Nevertheless, there were some other good figures this year. So, here we go!

10. Universe Springer - It was tough putting this on the top ten since it is just a repaint of a previously released Transformer. However, Hasbro did an excellent job really making this mold work for Springer and they did a good job with the paint applications. The color choices worked great as an homage to my favorite movie character.

9. Chevy Aveo Swerve - Perhaps, this made the list because of how rare this figure is but I think Hasbro did a great job of making a "real" car transform into a unique robot. The only real improvements this toy could have used is a gun and perhaps a few more paint applications. Nevertheless, for a rare premium, it sure looks like Hasbro put a lot of thought into this toy.

8. Animated Leader Class Ultra Magnus - Finally, a cool looking toy of Ultra Magnus that isn't just a white repaint of Optimus Prime. This figure is loaded with armory and ready to lead into battle. If his vehicle mode was a little less generic, this figure could have made the top five.

7. Animated Voyager Lugnut - I don't know what it is about this Voyager class Decepticon but he just really appealed to me. I like his unique head design and his bulky look. It's nice to see a new character as well instead of constant G1 homage's.

6. Binaltech Bluestreak & silver Jazz - I'm grouping these two together. I know they are just repaints of two molds we've seen a dozen times but as usual Takara made these two shine with exceptional paint jobs for two of the best Binaltech molds to date.

5. Animated Deluxe Jazz - I've always been a fan of the original Jazz and Hasbro really captured the essence of his look with adding some new fresh blood into this character. Plus, this toy is just plain fun to play with.
    4. Universe Sideswipe & Sunstreaker - For the most part, I feel the Universe line was poorly executed. Most of the figures had cheap plastic and lacked paint applications. However, somehow they got Sideswipe and Sunstreaker right. On top of that, Hasbro ingeniously created two very distinct robots out of one mold. Bravo!

3. Animated Leader Class Megatron - I admit, I've never really been a big Megatron fan but Hasbro has made perhaps the coolest looking and fun Megatron toy ever! Animated Megatron is well designed and has a fun transformation. What more can you ask for?

2. Binaltech Convoy - Okay, so this mold has been released several times before but this under-appreciated mold has finally received the treatment it deserved. There is so much die-cast metal on this toy, he is easily the heaviest Binaltech made. The paint job is perfect and I am pleased Takara Tomy finally gave us this perfect version of the Binaltech Autobot leader.

1. Animated Voyager Class Optimus Prime - This was my number one the minute I got it out of the box. This toy captures all the heroism of the Autobot leader with the refreshing animated style. He is super fun to play with, well painted & articulated. The only aspect that is not perfect is his ax. Nevertheless, Hasbro has made a classic toy and one of my all time favorite versions of Optimus Prime.

Note: I haven't gotten a hold of Animated Blurr yet. However, from everything I've seen of him, I'm pretty sure he would make this list. If I get him before years end as I should, I will make an adjustment to the list if need be.

prime toys

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    My only obvious disagreement is having Animated Leader Megatron up there.

3. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    Really? I think it is a great toy but like I said, we all have different tastes.

4. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    A little too early for this?

5. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    Well, there's only a couple more weeks left with only a few possible releases and from what I've seen of those items, they have no chance of making my list.

6. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Very slanted toward Animated, and I disagree with your assessment of Universe.

That said, the toys you have up there are very good. Not a big fan of Animated Jazz though. I own him, and every now and then I pick him up and ask myself why.

7. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good call on Animated Voyager Prime. I fiddle with him all the time. My only gripes with him are his axe/gun and I wish his waist locked in a little better. Other than that he is perfect.

8. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Obvious?
    Wha?

9. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    The only obvious disagreement that I have...

I haven't thought much about a top 10 but I know for sure I wouldn't have that one on there at all.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    yay , I dont own a single of the toys on the list. The only newly relesed toys I got this year are

Guardian repaint and Seacons , both G1 repaints.

11. Buzzer-Bot

Buzzer-Bot Kamikaze

I think most of the above figures are okay.I just do not agree to Springer,he's a nice figure,but I prefer to have Ratbat to replace him.

Anyway,my top 10:
    10.Animated Oil Slick
    9.BW Motor Arm(my 1st BW figure!Too bad he has lots of back kibble)
    8.Animated Soundwave
    7.Animated Jazz6.Movie Dropkick
    5.TFU Galvatron
    4.Animated Blackarachnia
    Gosh,Animated dominates!
    3.Animated Sentinel
    2.Universe Sideswipe
    1.Universe Onslaught

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    My list is likely to be heavy on Animated stuff, I absolutely love the line. Plus I have some 20 of those and much less Universe. However, I can certainly see the likes of Onslaught and Ratbat taking spots on my top 10 list. Gonna wait until I, hopefully, get a select few other figures I'm really wanting from both lines before doing my list though. As I know Shockwave would take the top spot if I got him.

13. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I'm liking this thread. Here's my list; its all Universe because that's usually all I collect. I like Animated alot, especially the show, but two lines is a bit too pricey for me.

10. Dirge
    9. Silverstreak
    8. Sideswipe
    7. Blades
    6. Nemesis Prime
    5. Ratbat
    4. Fracture
    3. Henkei Onslaught
    2. Treadbolt
    1. Stormcloud

14. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I disagree most with...

Universe Springer - Mold fits Blades much better, and while the mold is good, it's hardly new or representative of 2008 toys.

Chevy Aveo Swerve - If you were making a "Top Ten Exclusives" list, I could see this. Otherwise, his exclusiveness is the exact reason I wouldn't put him on the list. He's an ok mold that's overly expensive and difficult to obtain.

15. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

Hey Rherk,

I read on these forums that Binaltech Bluestreak had issues with lining up properly while in Car mode. Is this true in your expereince?

16. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TFA Bulkhead
    TFA Megatron
    TFA Ultra Magnus
    TFU Silverstreak
    TFU Onslaught
    TFC Piranacon
    TFU Overkill
    TFU Dragstip
    MP7 Thundercracker
    TFU Nemesis Prime

17. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    1. Animated Voyager Shockwave

Just a great figure all around. It looks awesome. It handles awesome.

2. Animated Deluxe Prowl

I really like the transformation and posability of this guy.

3. Animated Deluxe Jazz

See Prowl. ;) 

4. Universe Classics 2.0 Onslaught

This monster is just incredible. One of the most intimidating bots on my shelf.

5. Universe Classics 2.0 Powerglide

I never thought I'd love him so much. I thought he looked like pork-friend ass before I bought him, but I took a chance.

6. Universe Classics 2.0 Cyclonus

One of the more clever transformations I've seen, in addition to having the looks in both modes, as well as good poses.

7. Universe Classics 2.0 Hound

Another clever transformation and it looks awesome. It comes with a nice Ravage update as a bonus!

8. Universe Classics 2.0 Sunsteaker/Sideswipe

I really like this mold and both of it's iterations. Plus I love the characters.

9. Universe Classics 2.0 Prowl/Silverstreak

This figure just looks great. Turtleneck aside, it's a stunning mold. Personally, I've had zero paint issues.

10. Animated Leader Ultra Magnus

This guy is crazy awesome.

Honorable mentions:

Universe Classics 2.0 Treadbolt - It would have made the list had it not been a repaint.
    Titanium War Within Grimlock - If the arms were a bit more flexible, it would have been in my top 10. Still a great figure.

Fan Project Ultra Magnus City Commander Kit - This would make the list, except for that I've not gotten it yet.

18. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Universe Sideswipe should make it to top 10.

19. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    I didn't have any problems at all. I think someone got unlucky

20. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    Universe Sideswipe and Sunstreaker were the only Universe figures on my top ten. Perhaps if I bought the Henkei versions, more would have appeared but Hasbro ticked me off with the quality of these figures other than Sunstreaker & Sideswipe. I hope if they continue this series in 2009, they use quality materials and better paint applications.