Heavy/Scratch: My Titans Return PMOP upgrades

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by knoted, Dec 20, 2016.

1. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Looking forward to fixing the awkward feet on this figure, it shoukd be my final piece to finish this figure off. Very expensive figure after all of the upgrades....

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I really like the feet. I wish Takara had went for something more like that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SHADDO

SHADDO Arashikage Decepticon

The feet knoted designed are awesome. I just wish there was a way to design some add-ons for the Takara Legends or Hasbro Magnus Prime versions for those who didn't get, or simply did not want, the Takara Godbomber set...the main thing would be an additional heel support and having it all fit in vehicle mode...although, I do plan to get the other 3rd upgrade to get the guns and sword, which also contains a heel stabilizer, but probably isn't much use without the Godbomber set...

On another note, I was wondering if anyone has developed a nice Optimus trailer colored front end tab to close up the front of his trailer in alt mode...or if someone MIGHT consider such a thing? ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  4. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:

The front could also have peg holes to store the extra feet/heels doohickeys!

• Like Like x 1
  5. SHADDO

SHADDO Arashikage Decepticon

That is potentially a great idea also! Although, I'm realizing now, with the PE Master Jinrai upgrade kit, there's no longer a place to store his TR rifles on his back, because HasTak was stingy with 5mm ports this go around, instead worrying more about TM pegs too much...maybe a peg hole adapter to fit the screw holes, similar to the Shapeways TR Galvatron arm cannon adapter plug was designed could fix that...like knoted's Ultra Magnus hand plug fix (which, btw, work great and help fix that figure!). :) 

I suppose I could drill 5mm ports into the cover panels on Master Jinrai's legs to accommodate, but I'd rather not wreck them for bot mode...as it is, I have his rifle stored behind his back in combined mode, but it sticks out the side further than I'd like...still not terrible and overall the figure looks awesome (minus those unattractive feet, of course). ;) 

Edit: Discovered that the Master Jinrai feet have 5mm ports in the bottoms of his feet that can be folded out to accommodate "PMOP's" twin rifles/cannons, and allows for his Prime style blaster rifle to peg in to one side for full storage...just in case anyone needed to know.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. autobot prowl

Ugh, just got my order from shapeways and it included 2 left feet! Just filed a complaint with them but I'm really hoping the file they have isn't messed up.... really bummed, this was an expensive set!

• Like Like x 1
  7. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

Oh no. I ordered mine at the same time. Crossing my fingers.

8. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    What!?

Yikes! So sorry to hear that.
    It can't be a STL file problem because I have direct insight into which files are uploaded for the products in my store.
    The only concludion I can draw it's gotta be a sorting problem - which implies someone else's set might be messed up too.

If you could tell me your order#, I will contact Shaeways about this.

9. autobot prowl

1907628 hope thst helps. I already contacted them so hopefully it will get fixed. The design is cool but I worry the sides may be slightly too thin. I can see why you recommend using dye

10. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:

My, what big FONTS you have, Granny...

• Like Like x 1
  11. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

If you have two lefts what are the chances I have the two rights?

12. knoted

News Credits:
    Thanks. I will contact them regarding your order #. You should know there is Shapeways Eindhoven in the Netherlands (its homebase) and Shapeways New York, for US customers.
    I never had any issues with orders from Eindhoven, but I do recall one New York delay incident, due to a print tray crash.

The design itself is thoroughly tested and proven throughout a lot of successful prints by now - the T shaped tab at the base and the sides will hold up, to ensure a snug fit ( which is necessary to eliminate any wiggle ).
    Dying them should cause no problem - these days however, I would recommend ordering in Shapeways' standard Blue Strong Flexible Polished and then giving it a mild dye yourself with Rit Dye More Kentucky Sky, in order to nail the correct shade easily.

@stprime : I think you ordered in a different color ; so.....that should mean you're safe. I mean, I can't imagine them mixing up 2 orders of a different color.

13. knoted

News Credits:
    Ok, I contacted Shapeways, urging them to resolve this asap.

14. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

Blue? I thought you suggested White Strong Flexible Polished to dye?

15. knoted

News Credits:
    Yep, that should work perfectly fine as well - it's just that I found out the alternate way of doing it works pretty nicely too.

16. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

You may want to update that. I'd gone that route if I'd known it was easier.

Where did you get your rit? I've been to 3 stores and the don't have the ky blue.

17. knoted

News Credits:
    But that's the thing : there is no single absolute correct way of doing this - there's multiple ways to achieve that goal to attain an approximation of that shade of blue plastic.

A. you can start out with White Strong Flexible Polished and dye it yourself with your own dyes to your own exact mix of preference.

or

B. ( and I found this one out only recently myself ) you can start with the Blue Strong Flexible Polished as a base color, then re-dye it yourself with Kentucky Sky Blue.

The extent to which method A or B achieve the 'correct' shade will be subjective. But indeed, I can edit the dye tip in the product description (* done by now ).
    As for the Kentucky Sky Blue ; I got it from an online retailer here in the Netherlands, but I know there's lots of Rit Dye on Amazon.com too.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  18. knoted

News Credits:
    @autobot prowl : I just got this in from Shapeways. They're asking for photographs of the item:

[​IMG]

19. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

I hope I didn't sound rude. That was not my intention. I just meant that since I haven't done this before that if it is easier the other way I would have gone that route.

20. knoted

News Credits:
    No problem, no offense taken.
    Like you and many others, I used to be totally new to this dye thingy. And even now, I can still screw it up sometimes.

Other customers like Gotbot were new to it as well, but he made it work in one go for my TR Kup arm upgrade set:

Regarding the 2 different suggested options, I'll put it like this :

A. with the 2 dye colors Kentucky Sky and Sapphire Blue you could theoretically get the best possible match to Prime's blue plastic. Before putting the parts in, experiment with paper towels ; a quick dip will show usually give you a pretty good indication of the deepest tint, the shapeways material will take with your dye bath mix.

while

B. with Blue Strong Flexible Polished as your starting point, you can get a nice result with just a Kentucky Sky bottle - without the experimentation of mixing 2 dye colors - but it'll be tougher to achieve the theoretical best color match.
    So if you're still not satisfied then, you would still need to get another Dye color.

Also, keep in mind that due to the material being 3D printed, the perception of the color will vary differently under changing light conditions, compared to the ABS plastic. For example, in day light, the result looks like a perfect match - but then under night time indoor lighting, the shade might look a bit off again. This is mostly, because the material is porous.
    Meanwhile, I adjusted the product description to your suggestion about this. Thank you for that!

• Like Like x 1