Heavy/Scratch: My Titans Return PMOP upgrades

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by knoted, Dec 20, 2016.

1. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    The rifles feature standard 5mm pegs. Should work with Super Ginrai too. The print in the photographs is done in Shapeways' White Strong Flexible Polished material. I brush painted them black, but I advise Rit dye, due to friction at the 5mm pegs. The fit may vary slightly if printed in unpolished material.

Prices for several materials can be found here ; http://shpws.me/N5ql

2. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Cheers for the info. Unfortunately, the price is too high for those... Good luck though!

3. knoted

News Credits:
    Thanks !

Yeah, I feel Shapeways' pricing per cubic cm of their WSFP material could/should still be a bit cheaper. As for now, it is what it is.
    I looked at Renderform's PMOP rifles too. Very nice, but they would cost me a little over a 100 dollars shipped to me - hence my own alternative.
    There are other people's designs on Shapeways too ; but they charge around the same as my set costs, for just a single rifle.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

Have you made a set for Ultra Magnus? I like this.

5. knoted

News Credits:
    You mean, a set of arm fillers or rifles for CW Ultra Magnus ? Sorry, but no. I don't have a CW Ultra Magnus and I initially thought with the X2Toys add on sets being available, any effort of mine would be redundant anyway.
    I could however, adjust the rifle handles to fit Magnus. Can you confirm the handle on Magnus' guns to be the same as TR PMOP's stock guns ? If so, I think I can make the adjustment.

As I hinted at earlier....hopefully before upcoming saturday, Shapeways will ship me 2nd prototype of my TR Powermaster Optimus Prime feet add on, featuring a sort of ankle tilt. The first print came out fine in terms of ankle tilt mechanism and overal aesthetics, but it wouldn't fit these feet correctly yet. I'm hoping the new meassurements for the 2nd protoptype will make it fit.

6. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

Im just wanting a set arm fillers for UM.

7. knoted

News Credits:
    Ohh..I see. Like I said, I am sorry can't help you there since I don't even have CW Magnus myself so I can't perform the meassurements.

8. knoted

News Credits:
    Update 2/16/2017

TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set
    Goals for this design :

- To evoke the feet of G1 Marvel Comics Powermaster Optimus Prime
    - To provide TR Prime with a sort of Ankle Tilt functionality
    - To provide a visual explanation for the added bulk in vehicle mode

The look this set aims to evoke:

[​IMG]

The design consists of 3 parts:

- The rotating front which I will refer to as "Toe"
    - The part which actually connects to the existing foot I will refer to as "Loafer"
    - The part which might be optional as extra heel support I will refer to as "Heel"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Toe" part mimics the Marvel style closely, with the dual grooves above the toe nub and the "wheel" reference detail on the side. The Loafer contains more modern detail
    to blend the whole thing with the Titans Return style AND at the same time it provides a visual explanation/excuse for the added bulk in truck mode ; as it depicts a sort of tow winch mechanism.

Now I already had a full first print : the ankle tilt works & the design aesthetics work. The only thing which didn't work yet was the Loafer fit. It simply didn't fit the foot.
    So today 2/16/2017, I received a new test print of a redesigned Loafer for the left foot. I am glad to report the new Loafer fits ! It's not perfect yet, will need some more tweaks, but it works as intended already.

I hope you can appreciate it in the following pictures. Please don't mind the Shapeways shade of blue which doesn't match nor the visible print lines here and there ; I intend to RitDye the final product to match the blue plastic and I will adjust the print orientation which the Shapeways dude obviously couldn't get right. Since I only printed the new Loafer for the left foot, the right foot only features the Toe part in these pictures, but this way you can still get a good idea how the final set will look complete. Also, I have found the heel parts to be optional i.e. ; not crucial to most of his poses ; so I might just omit that from the final set to keep the price down.

* One final note regarding the pricing of the rifle set : They are not overpriced. Per cubic cm they cost the exact same as my arm fillers. The design of the Rifles is as optimized as can be without compromising structural intergrity - but per cubic cm they cost the exact same as any other of my items. That's just the price Shapeways dictates and it's nothing I can do about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  9. paramedicprime

paramedicprime Well-Known Member

i want some of those rifles to use with other bots actually and my ginrai i got. nice work man

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Those feet I'm gunna have to save for. Do you think it would be possible to have a 5mm port that plugs into the gun slots. I'm using a spare Magnus rifle, but I would like to be able to use Faith Leader's rifle.

11. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those feet are pretty awesome

• Like Like x 2
  12. malcontentman

malcontentman Cybertronian James Cagney TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I will definitely pick up the 5mm Rifles for my Ginrai. I think the ones he comes with are too small.

• Like Like x 3
  13. knoted

News Credits:
    I suggest you get it in White Strong Flexible Polished, then dye it with RitDyemore "Graphite" (black). You could brush paint it like I did, but there will be some paint rub at the 5mm posts.
    The Black Strong Flexible material is a little too grainy imho and the Black High Definition Acrylate is beautiful, but way too expensive per cubic cm.

14. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

How about a new faux chest replacement?

15. knoted

News Credits:
    Maaaaaybe.....

Usually I plan my projects to 'solve' a widely acknowledged shortcoming/complaint to popular figures ;
    - the arm fillers for the widespread complaint about hollow arms
    - the arm fillers with 5mm hands for the complaint about PMOP dropping guns regularly
    - the rifle set for the complaint about the stock guns being 1:1 CW Magnus copies
    - the feet with ankle tilt about TR PMOP's lack of ankle tilt becoming increasingly more apparent with other TR leader figures having ankle tilt ; at the same time, an opportunity to visually distinguish PMOP's feet from CW Magnus as well

- I haven't heard 'too' many complaints about the faux chest piece yet ; also, with this new TR Magnus Prime, such a 'solution' might be a bit redundant ; while all the PMOP projects I have done so far still distinguish themselves from both Takara Super Ginrai and this upcoming TR Magnus Prime in one crucial way or another.

But yeah...this faux chest is also a somewhat complex shape, because the tab points and shape need to line up perfectly. Maybe when Window 10's new 3D scanning app lands, creating a new styled faux chest will make the effort more proportionate to the fanbase demand for it. So far, all my meassurements have been done by hand, meticulously.

16. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    I really like the feet. Did you have any plans for adapting it for the LG-42 Godbomber attaching? I understand there are peg holes or something to that affect on the Ginrai version.

17. knoted

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, probably not. As it is, it is already a challenge to make these feet ( the loafer part ) attach to the existing 'Magnus' feet securely and properly, using the least amount of material.
    If I were to design extra attachment slots to these loafers for Godbomber mode, these would result into more material used. Also, at this point, we don't even know the exact shape/meassurements
    of these Godbomber pegs. ( they look a bit like Combiner Wars pegs, but....we don't know the exact dimensions ).

At the moment, I'm simply working on adjusting the 'loafer' parts of these feet for a better fit and less material used. The price per cubic cm is the same for the material, but I have noticed that
    going beyond the material mass of my arm fillers for example, the total price starts to go up to levels at which people become apprehensive. I can understand that, but I cannot change Shapeways
    material pricing and so the only thing I can do is to minimize the material mass used in my designs to keep the total price reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    I understand the pricing is out of your control. I was just curious. I didn't quite understand Shapeways until doing research from TFW2005. Its neat that you can design have something printed up. I'm just a bit bummed that Hasbro didn't initially put out the Takara version of PM Optimus/Ginrai versus the one we have in the states. And now after seeing the NYTF pics that they are going to distribute it just stings a little. Still I maybe tempted to pick up your arm fillers though. Cheers!

19. knoted

News Credits:
    I think both versions have their merits and faults. The style difference isn't a fault imho ; it's just that the TR version is - like many CHUG, moreso a modern interpretation of the original - whereas the Super Ginrai mold, is a more G1 loyal aesthetic. The kind of faults which are inexcusable however, is stuff like these hollow arms. And as collectors, we kind of know....a release like this 'Magnus Prime' might happen....what I agree upon though, is the stingy fact that this will be a boxset exclusive. But who knows.... maybe they'll release it independently down the road and then it's just a matter of preference for either design aesthetic.

And again, I can understand any apprehension from people regarding Shapeways pricing. Afteral, I have had to order and purchase these prototypes several times myself, before I publish a final version for sale - for the arm fillers that was OK-ish, but for stuff like the rifle set, it becomes painful at nearly 28 bucks per set, if you don't get it right at first prototype ; even though the price per cubic cm isn't different from the arm fillers.

But yeah, I'm now in the proces of adjusting these feet, to try and keep the price down as much as I can while improving the fit.

• Like Like x 3
  20. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    I get why folks would feel the pinch in price, but a lot of third party add ones aren't exactly cheap. But I understand.

Yeah depending on the price for the Magnus Prime set is I may just order up Ginrai by itself. I'm not really interested in the other figures and feel bit of a cheat if the figures are not sold separately down the road. I just like the idea of merging it with the Godbomber figure. Guess I could eBay PM Prime in the eventuality I end up grabbing Ginrai or Magnus Prime. Need to thin the herd a little.

• Like Like x 1