My thoughts on the Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tuxedo Mark, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Tuxedo Mark

Tuxedo Mark Well-Known Member

TF:TM was my introduction to G1. A friend loaned me a tape of it back in college (1996-1998). To me, the Movie WAS G1.

I later rented "The Ultimate Doom" from a local video store, and that was my introduction to the show. By 1999, I had gotten taped copies of all 98 episodes (and the Movie again) from someone online. The quality of most of the episodes was really poor, but I enjoyed watching it.

I got the original DVD release of the Movie and all of Rhino's sets except Season 3, Part 2, and Season 4 (which I'm still kicking myself for procrastinating on). I got Sony's re-release of the Movie and all of Shout!'s sets.

Before starting on Season 3, I rewatched the Movie for continuity purposes, and it felt...off to me. Maybe it was the rock songs. Maybe it was the slower pacing. I don't know. It seems that, over the years, the show became G1 in my mind. It was what I was used to. It made the Movie stick out as being different.

Anyone else experience something like this?

2. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    My TF experience:

Watched the original TV show starting 1985, was a fan but never got any toys since I was going to college and thought I was too old for them (Ha! If only I had a broader perspective then.). Sort of forgot about TF for several years after the G1 show.

Saw TFTM in 2007, liked it a lot, but my mind was on other things then, so I did not get any of the toys.

After watching ROTF in 2009, I became a TF fan again and started the collecting toys, got the G1 TV episodes and 1986 movie on DVD as well as Beast Machines, etc.

3. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I was born in '86 and came to Transformers with "season 5", the reruns with Tommy Kennedy. I had an old tape with Part III of MTMTE, parts II and III of the movie, parts III and IV of Five Faces of Darkness, and a few other episodes like Blaster's Blues. I later bought a few of the Rhino tapes, the British version of the movie with the scrolling Star Wars-esque intro, and the Rhino DVD release of the movie. Flash forward to 2006, I bought the entire series in China, the Sony re-release of the movie, and eventually the Shout set. Needless to say, TF:TM is Transformers for me. To me, the pacing wasn't very slow but rather has a level of continuity not found in a 30 min episode. It is one continuous story from beginning to end (except Cyclonus' "Armada", the few appearances of Snarl, and how Wreck-Gar knew that the answer was Unicron). I see the movie as doing what the series couldn't and doing it better. The movie will always be the central part of G1 for me.

4. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

I grew up on the tv show first then the movie came out in theaters and I watched that, then watched the show again. My answer is that both are G1 for me

5. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I was born in '91.
    So all I had was G2, other random recordings of G1, and the Movie (Until BW comes into play, that is). My mom was a huge TF fan, so me and my brother quickly learned to love it.
    But anyway, despite the airings of the G1 cartoon and the other random recordings I had of it, the movie was really G1 to me.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, to me the movie is a big part of G1 to me also. While I had the opportunity to grow up with the series, the movie was special because for its time, the story was pretty good/interesting and the standout thing were the deaths. Up to that point in time, I don't think any US mainstream cartoon had its heroes dying, especially the main hero Optimus Prime. The movie displayed the mortality of the heroes.

7. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    I recently bought the complete series from Woot and am slowly burning my way through the episodes right now. I'm half way through Season 2. Lets be honest, the show has not held up well at all. Though in its defense, you could say that about pretty much all 80s animation. For me, I'm watching it mainly to refresh my memory of all the characters I grew up with and the incredible voice talent that gave life to them. Once I'm done though, I can't see myself re-watching it again and will probably get rid of it.

On the other hand, I find the '86 movie to be infinitely more re-watchable than the series. It has held up suprisingly well over the years. I attribute this to the awesome rock soundtrack, the superior animation, and the large cast of characters. I hope we'll eventually get a domestic Blu-ray release so that I can retire my 20th anniversary DVD copy.

8. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I was then and now very fond of the movie, loved watching it as much as the series, and so it is the same as G1 to me.
    BUT.....I think I know why its feels off to you, maybe the voice actors changing from the movie to the 3rd season.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I, too, saw the movie before I ever saw the show, because I was far too young, and my original recollections of the film are long gone. My G1 was Beast Wars, so that was my yard stick as to judge every series after until I grew up and became aware of all that was Transformers. It was then that I finally watched season 3 of G1, then went back and watched every season of G1 it start to finish over time. So I would know what I had missed.

10. ulsre2010

ulsre2010 Member

i like watch Movie very much but i spent little in the Cinema,now we all have computer and we can watch all kinds of movie on the internet.

11. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I enjoy the movie for what it is: a portal to a different time in my life. I'm not gonna say it was earth-shattering, even though I watched it a lot as a kid. For a long time, the movie was the only TF stuff I had available to me to watch, other than MTMTE and a random Season 1 episode. The only Season 3 episodes that I saw before I was out of high school was Return of Optimus Prime and a bit of Rebirth. So, yeah, I can quote TFTM verbatim, can watch it with the sound down, etc. But it's not anything that particularly moves me, y'know?

Now, the comics... those I have enjoyed continuously.

12. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i started with beast wars at the age of 4, and my first veiwing of g1 was the rhino vhs tape my dad bought at wal-mart for $5.....later my parents got me 20th anniversary optimus prime for christmas....my next taste of g1 was the two parter "the return of optimus prime"....lets just say when i played with my transformers optimus prime died and came back more times than any superhero from any comic :lol 

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm the odd man out here, as I started watching the show with the premire of "More than Meets the Eye", followed seasons 1 and 2, and couldn't watch the movie when it came out. I saw the commercials, but my small, hometown simply didn't get the movie in the threater (today, it's still only 2 screens). I started watching season 3, and about midstream I was able to rent TF:TM. Season 3 finished, and so did G1, as you guys know.

To answer the topic, yes, TF:TM sticks out quite a bit because it WAS a shift for TRANSFORMERS. The larger budget allowed for the soundtrack and the more complex animation [in places], just like we'd expect a movie to. The deaths, the introduction of the new cast, and the Battle of Autobot City certainly benchmark the movie in G1 history.

I think there's the giant planet that eats planets that sticks out as well :) 

After the movie, while I knew it wasn't realistic as a kid, I really wanted everything about season 3 to be as good or better in quality in all regards that the movie was. Regarding animation, "Call of the Primitives" came close, and there were several good stories. But, yeah, the movie sticks out because it's a movie.

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been like a historian with the Transformers 86 Movie. I have the Movie on VHS, mupltiple DVDs and even on 2 Laserdisks. Over the years I've seen many bad rumors come and go. Once on alt-toys-transformers someone swore he had seen Optimus Prime crumble to dust when he died. Another claimed to have unseen 35mm tape of the Movie. Him and his partner were asking money to reproduce it. No one believed or donated. I think I've viewed the 86 Movie more times than any other movie in my life.
    I was glad when the storyboards appeared of the missing scenes. It certainly explained a lot of questions that had remained for years. I still feel chills and anger at the death of Optimus Prime. If only Hot Rod had listened to Kup. Back in those early days, there was no plan to bring back Optimus Prime. In a way, I always saw that event as the start of the end of G1, before it was even called G1.

15. kensou

kensou Well-Known Member

Well, instead, I really want Michael Bay produced something innovated. Same as original G1 is not good way for TF go further. Hard to hold lots of G1 animated fans' heart.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I first saw the TFTM: 86 film back in 2004 but never really fully watched it until 2006 which was playing at midnight and stayed up till 2 a.m to watch it.

It blows my mind that the rock songs are still badass to this day like hunger and nothing's gonna stand in my way.

17. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I didn't see the 1986 TF movie in theathres. I wasn't watching the cartoon regularly so missed the movie promos on TV saying the movie was comming to theathres soon.

I found out about the TF 1986 Movie when I saw it at a local video store. at the time I thought it was a origin story. that took places in the golden ages of cybertron. I was totally shocked to see the movie take place in the 2006 year future & after season 2 ended.

I really like all the brutal fighting,deaths & new characters introduced in the 1986 TF movie.

I wasn't sad to see optimus prime die in the 1986 movie. because he was always booring & came off very stale,old & 1-d persona. I was glad optimus died & rodimus prime became the new supreme autobot leader.

Rodimus prime is my all time favorite transformer character from G-1.

I kinda view the 1986 movie as season 2.5. as it takes place somewhere in the middle. & starts back up again in season 3.

Yeah I also loved all the heavy metal & rock n roll music that was in the 1986 TF movie. they also did a great job with the sound effects during battle scenes.

I often think how horrible the TF movie would have been if it took place during the 1990's. I envision nightmare type G-2 commericals rap type music.

Anyone who loves the 1986 TF movie. must try to find a japanese laser disk version of the movie. the crystal clear animation & sound is breath taking. luckily a friend of mine back in the early 1990's sold me a 1986 TF movie on laser disk.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I first saw MTMTE on Wacaday back in 1984, and from then on that was where I saw most of the early episodes until the UK VHS releases started. I watched the 1986 movie in the cinema after school. Season three only ever appeared here on VHS as far as I remember and even then it wasn't the whole of it.
    Both television series and movie are together in my mind. It's all the same thing to me. The comics were my main portal to TF media though and those were probably more 'G1' to me than the cartoon, even if only by a little. We'd only get cartoon episodes when they were chopped apart and spread as an episode per week over school holidays (highly frustrating to only get about four minutes of TF cartoon a day, Monday to Friday).
    But in the end it's all mixed together in my mind as 'Transformers'. Nothing really stands that far over anything else within the G1 era. I had a bit of this and a bit of that and it all just felt part of one whole to my young mind. Nothing back then felt as compartmentalised as it does today.

19. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I started at the beginning. For one week it was on during the week an hour or so after school (I was 8 at the time). It was the weirdest thing. Everyone would be outside playing and then run in at the time it came on. I had no clue what was going on that Monday so I went in kinda wondering what to do. I clicked the tv on and saw the intro to transformers. I was hooked since.

When the movie came out we were extremely poor. A lot of luxuries weren't afforded to me. Going to the theater was one. So when it came out on VHS our local rental place had it. Again I couldn't buy the tape because they were like 80 dollars at the time. So every time I could save up 2 dollars I rented the movie. Eventually that tape started wearing out. For me it was magical at the time. I did notice one thing right away, the movie was wall to wall music non stop.

20. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    You have it on LD? US or Japanese? That's been one of my holy grails of LD collecting for like, ever, since I got a player in 1992. I've never even SEEN the LD.

Watched the movie in '86, in theaters, after having seen TFs from the beginning. The shuttle scene was horrible for me, and even now I don't like to watch that part. Prime's and Starscream's deaths seemed to be appropriate endings to their stories, however, tho they did make me sad.

--Moony