My Thoughts on the Headmasters Cartoon

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by hippymule, Jan 14, 2012.

1. hippymule

hippymule Duocon

Well I just got done watching Shout! Factory's Headmaster collection. It over all was good.The new characters were cool and interesting and the giant epic fight on the final episode was pretty damn sick.I just really need to nit pick a little though.
    -OK the fact that Rodimus Prime is just like "Ok I'm in the mood to find a new planet to live on without war and leave the task of leading the Autobot Army to a stranger I knew for 2 episodes.like ok lol!
    - the fact that there's a good 15+ transformers that are just absent throughout the entire series.
    -how annoying Daniel and Wheelie ar
    - Predaking had no face.
    - I really wish Six Shot joined the Autobots in the end,that would have been cool.
    -its funny how while Cerebros and the Headmasters are in persute of the Decepticons there's always random Autobots and Decepticons that appear to fight that you never see in any other episodes
    -the final episode before Cerebros maked it to earth I see Defensor fighting Bruticus on Earth,but I swore I saw Defensor fixing Fortress after WierdWolf damaged it a few episodes ago.
    -Lastly is When the Autobots decide to leave Earth fot good. Why is this? Its makes no sense that they would just leave. Did they forget the Decepticons have a base on Charr? Do they expect them to just quit? And did all the Autobots leave? What about all the others? The ending leaves me with more questions than answers!

Overall it was an enjoyable 35 episodes and it was nice to see the series continue after it discontinued in the U.S. For those who also watched it have any thought? Opinions on it...?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I like Headmasters and its 'space opera' approach. Can't quite explain why, but it invokes the spirit of the original Marvel G1 comics more than the Sunbow G1 cartoon - at least to me it does, which is great. The episodes have lots of action, suspense and drama, the horror that the Cybertronian civil war brings to other planets and people is well illustrated, and the Autobots don't always win - pluses in my book. There are a few flaws - the choreography in a number of the fight scenes is sub-par, Sixshot becoming a turncoat left me near-outraged, and I quite disliked the 'villain decay' displayed in more than a few instances (Snapdragon, Apeface, Predaking and several others) - but it's an enjoyable romp overall. And haters gonna hate - I love the English dub. :D 

3. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    The lulzy 'Darn that Soundwave' version or are we talking about a completely new dub I've been unaware of? :D 

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The former. I consider it a genuinely acceptable dub, and honest to goodness, have never once laughed at any of the content. It does a fine job of telling the story, and I really like the voices for Fortress Maximus and Galvatron :p 

5. The621

News Credits:
    I admit that this version of Galvatron has some sense of seriousness that I'm not used to. And the voice quality isn't as bad as some claim! Though I still have those moments to engage shits and giggles and laugh at some of the lines!

6. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

I dislike this series. Killing Prime AGAIN, blowing cybertron up, Galvatron/Megatron going out because of the headmaster friendship canon.... I really dislike this series.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I know, right? Unlike Welker's Galvatron, whose voice alone prevented me from taking him seriously, this guy oozes menace; you actually get the impression he's going to ruin somebody's shit, big-time.

Supposedly, the number of voice actors for this dub was very small. If that were true, color me seriously impressed.

I'll admit it; while I didn't laugh, I raised my eyebrows once or twice - it was a few of the name changes and nothing more. But I didn't let several out-of-left-field translation options on the part of the dubbing team make me dismiss what was a good overall effort.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Except for the wildly different approach and origin of the Headmasters themselves?

Madness (although you are entitled to be mad). Even if you can accept the voices and the goofball name-changes, the translation of the dub is inaccurate. I bought the dub on VCD many, many years ago... and based on the feelings I came away from the series with, thanks to that dub, I almost didn't bother buying the Shout Factory release. But I'm glad I did buy the Shout Factory Hadmasters set, because it increased my appreciation and enjoyment of the series a hundred fold.

I like the series. I prefer The Rebirth for better fitting the character depictions, continuity, and tone of the original US G1 cartoon, but Headmasters is still cool. And it definitely picks up as it goes along, imo.

But as far as story and continuity weirdness/inconsistencies go, all three of the Japanese G1 series are full of them. Like the planet Mars being completely destroyed and then later on mysteriously returning. Like if Season 3 of G1 takes place in the "future" and life on Earth is vastly different, and Masterforce is a direct sequel to Headmasters which is a direct sequel to 2010, how is it that Masterforce is set back in the pre-Season 3 "present"? Lots of stuff like that. Nearly an endless amount.

9. The621

News Credits:
    I agree. Chromedome actually sounds like Hideyuki's version of a brash leader.
    Fortress sounds grim and serious about his role as commander!
    Some of their voices remind me of other voice actors I've heard of before in other dubs.

I recommend rewatching the serious parts. Take Kup's story of Master Transformers fleeing Cybertron for instance. Reminds you of that grim, dark, war story only a veteran can evoke.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Which part of my post is this in response to? My opinion on the dub? My feeling that the Japanese continuity is haphazard and continually self-contradicting?

If it's the continuity thing, keep in mind that I'm not mentioning that as something that bothers me. I'm fine with it.

11. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

usa fortess maxiums not have master sword in rebirth

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Neither did the USA toy.

13. The621

News Credits:
    I was referring to The Headmasters dub. There are some inconsistencies and plot changes. Although if you can look back at the flashback scenes or the fight scenes that involve a serious plot point, then you can enjoy the dub without any effort.

Your opinion is fine as it is. You didn't go out of your way to make a bash post.

Japanese continuity is tricky to deal with if you don't have a set point.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Well, I did say 'invokes the spirit', not 'matches the plot'.

We're all mad after a fashion. :p 

I can't comment on the accuracy of translation, since I don't have access to the original Japanese track. Even if I did, however, I wouldn't be able to gauge said accuracy for sure - seeing as I don't speak a word of Japanese, I wouldn't be able to tell if the subtitles that accompany said track do a better job at translating it than the dub did. Until I'm able to do so, which I don't see happening in a while to say the least, I'm quite content with what the dub gave me. Every story aspect it explained seemed to tally with the on-screen events just fine.

Can't say I picked up on Mars magically reappearing, lol - I'll concede that as a major goof, unless I'm somehow supposed to buy into the notion that the Autobots helped rebuild it, which admittedly is rather silly.

Human habitation and Earth locales as depicted in Headmasters didn't seem quite different from those shown in Masterforce, as far as I recall; Masterforce could therefore serve as a sequel to Headmasters just fine. I remember little to nothing of Season 3 of the Sunbow cartoon, though - just how radically different was life on Earth as it depicted?

15. The621

News Credits:
    Season 3 depicted human lifestyle in a futuristic manner. Masterforce depicts the future more rural and focused on the conflict between Autobot and Decepticon Master forces.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The events in the final few episodes of Headmasters were pretty cataclysmic, were they not? Maybe the damage that Scorponok's scheme wrought forced mankind to revert to a less advanced existence - you know, like what happened in Mad Max, just less severe. I dunno, I got nothing. :lol 

17. The621

News Credits:
    I can totally see that, bro! And thinking in complex terms of IRL things like technological expenses or helping the Autobots out strongly plays into this.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This. People dressed "futuristically" drove futuristic cars, Earth was part of an intergalactic community, with spaceports, a defense force complete with spaceships and crazy uniforms, some Earth people had moved into space and in at least one case become a space pirate/smuggler. PEOPLE ON EARTH HAD FLYING CARS. It was the future. Autobot intervention in Human history had radically altered the course of events and technological advancements in the two decades since their appearance. And check out that futuristic city architecture.

Then, in Headmasters, everyone on Earth goes back to dressing as if it was the 1980s except for Spike, Carly, and Daniel, who now look like goofballs since they're the only ones doing it. People drive 1980s cars and live in 1980s buildings. Earth Defense Force has seemingly disappeared. And Masterforce regresses even further. Up until the point we get a short message from Chromedome, Masterforce almost feels like it was originally meant to be a separate continuity, kind of like Galaxy Force from Superlink.

19. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    While Headmasters was a serviceable series, albeit boring at time, Masterforce is the quintessential Japanese G1 series. A brilliant, must-watch series.

20. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I loved the Headmasters and Targetmasters episodes! It was quite well executed in terms plots and a set of new cast. Punch and counter punch in one of my favorite character along with Sixshot, Pounce and wingspan. Too bad we didn't get to see Quickswitch in this series.

I'm looking forward to the next series as well with the introduction of Overlord, Doubledealer, Pretenders, Piranacons.... etc