My thoughts on the City Commander Upgrade set

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lion, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    Ok, first off, this is an incredible set. When I first saw the pics/protos, I thought damn thats cool....

When I saw that they were producing armor for Prime and Nems, I ordered the Nem one within a minute of seeing the preorder...

With that being said, I thought about it a while...and then my set arrived. It is now setting in the center of my collection. (I'm not totally crazy about the BFG)...but can anything be perfect...I thought about it a while....

Other than the reissues, Ultra Magnus has just been a repaint of Prime. I know the original Magnus is a "prime cab" in armor, but a totally sep. character. Repaint after repaint, and Magnus gets the cold shoulder. Even the Classics 2 pack went into clearance...until talk of the armor set...

My point being, this upgrade set sets Magnus apart from the rest. It is an incredible set, and I believe now, deserves to remain only with Magnus. I've since cancelled my preorders, thinking that eventually having 3 different armor sets in different colors would take away the coolness that is Ultra Magnus.

Primes always going to be Prime, and the leader of the pack. Hes going to have cool toy after cool toy, and Magnus will probably be produced in the same lines, only being a repaint.

Nemesis, while being a repaint, is supposed to be a "clone" of prime, so repaints in Primes image, makes sense. Unless the artists who created The City Upgrade set, plan on doing one for every magnus repaint, (which I hope not, $$$), This will be my essential Ultra Magnus toy....

Ultra Magnus/City Commander deserves to be left alone as a toy. I know repaints are used for generating cash (which I would buy anything else these guys put out)...I'm keeping the armor for Magnus and Magnus only...

Sorry for my rant, but I had a little time tonight. Thanks for the read. Hope it made sense....

2. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I have had the same thoughts but I have also thought that buying the rest of these armor sets will give Fans Project a leg up and we will see a whole new Armor set for maybe Hot Rod. Because there are really no repaint Armor set characters left for that particular set of Armor so they will get as much as possible out of this set for the 3 versions of Prime that they have.

With G1 Magnus Launchers
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  3. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Variant colours is good because it will give those who didn't get it on the first run a chance to have it, albeit in differing colours

4. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Well, going from the subject line and not particularly what Lion just said...

My thoughts? Mine just shipped from TFSource today. WOOHOO!!!!!

OK, to be on topic, my expectations (since it hasn't arrived yet). I have Prime and Magnus as far as the Classics "cab" mold. While very cool... yeah, they're both kinda missing "something"... that being the trailer.

Well, Magnus is supposed to be a car transport, but as a voyager, that won't be happening. His trailer would look too wide to accomodate other deluxes... and wouldn't even fit the Universe Classics. So I'm cool with him not being a car transport anymore. I woulda liked it, but I understand the practicality.

I *LOVE* the whole add-on armor, in the style of RiD Prime. He's one of my favorite figures, as his regular robot mode is quite cool as-is... but his super mode is made by adding multiple pieces to various areas (actually, Energon Prime kinda fits that description too, but he kinda only does the limbs) and totally alters his appearance. It's hard to describe, but if you have RiD Prime (and, comparitively, Energon Prime), you know what I mean.

I'm not sure what i think about the BFG. I'll have to have it in person to gather an opinion on that. It looks cool, though. If I have to set a piece aside, I'm OK with that. I have a few parts for some of my Classics/Universe Classics that get set aside for their alt modes (a gun for Hot Rod, bumblebee and Onslaught, a shoulder launcher for Sideswipe, etc), so I don't mind that.

All in all, I'm very excited to add this to my collection. Sounds like, from everything i've read, that I won't be disappointed.

OK, I admit the face sculpt is a little odd, and doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the Classics/Universe classics... but maybe I'll change my mind once it's in hand.

5. kenm2474

This picture is also why I am so excited about this Armor Set. It shows what I have always wanted to see with Magnus and his Armor making him Ultra.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  6. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I missed out and have a preorder for the Shadow Commander set but I see what you mean, Lion. If I had a more complete classics line and access to the Magnus set, I think I would opt-out of the Shadow Commander just so that Magnus stands out more as unique and leave my Nemmy without the new suit.

@Kenm2472 nice pic! Love the launchers too. Makes him look beefier

7. kenm2474

It fits in more so than the G1 Ultra Magnus did IMO. How dose it not fit in?? He look like a Modern Version G1 Ultra Magnus. He fits in rather well standing with all my Classics Figures.

8. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    Is that the cover where he sheds his armor in a effort to fight shockwave?? I never read it, but heard about it...

I agree, he looks pretty darn cool with the other classics...the "movie" bots, Springer, Blurr, (along with Hot Rod and Magnus) are getting complete make-overs...whos missing? Arcee, Kup?? Is it a coincidence that this group is getting done??

9. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I too recently got the set and fell in love with it. No nemesis commander for me unless it got a new head or something, as it is right now it just looks like Magnus in the shadows.

I don't get why people are always bringing up all these supposed instances of Magnus as just white repaints of prime. I know we got Armada prime, classics prime, and Tit prime in white but thats pretty much it. Energon Magnus was not a prime repaint. Rid Magnus was an all new mold. Tit G1 Magnus was its own mold. Also dont forget Animated. I know takara kinda saturated there market with white convoys but I think Hasbro has done a good job with the Magnus love

10. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, that's the infamous issue.

11. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I’ve got the set and I must say it’s perfect, I can only see one possible way to make it ay better which I’ll come t later. I think after getting the set my classic universe will go the way of animated, Op might lead a small group but Magnus is the overall leader, he just looks so powerful and imposing. The BFG doesn’t bother me, I just need to find a good place to store it on his robot mode other than in his hand, to me something like that is a last resort weapon.

I am getting the Shadow commander set although if it weren’t for the sword I would have skipped it probably, I actually want to put the sword on Magnus instead, I know he’s not traditionally a sword fighter but I sword fight as my other hobby so when I get the chance to make my one of my favourite TF’s a sword fighter I take it.

Now the one improvement I could make to the set, a pair of G1ish shoulder weapons that have pegs that also fit into his fists so they can be mounted on top of his armour in trailer mode, I’m going to try and bash something myself to that effect.

But let me just say totally the best fan kit ever!!!!

12. Bluestreak76

Bluestreak76 Well-Known Member

Yeah it looks pretty good.. the only improvements I see are that in trailer mode it looks kinda short, and its butted up agains the cab pretty close and dont look like it turns like a semi trailer but Armor mode is spot on fan service!

13. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

i cant wait to get back to the states and get this guy opened up. i ordered my nemisis armor for the sword also, that just did it for me. i cant believe how intense he looks with the rocket launchers too, im scourin ebay grabbin em as i can to add. i wish i could get to the idw comics readily because that issue looks incredible. i didnt know hot rod had an armor, must be pretty cool though.

14. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Hot rod doesn't as far as i know but I think people are talking about armour to turn him into rodimus prime.

15. Mad_Jester

Mad_Jester Wreckers

I thin the reason the trailer doesn't turn is Hasbro's fault. 'Cause if you look at the peg on Magnus & prime it's square. It would be awfully hard to fit a square peg in a round hole. I think Fan Projects just did the best they could with what Hasbro gave them to start with.

I have all of the IDW comics, including the DW (Dream Wave) reissue volumes of War Within, and I've never seen any armor for Hot Rod. Unless it's in the regular DW series (like that previous Magnus cover) I think they are just talking about turning him into Rodimus Prime.

16. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Magnus received an original mold in RID, Titanium (G1 Magnus) & Animated. That RID mold could be much better but it helps create Omega Prime which makes it great in my book. The energon repaint is from the overload mold not a prime mold. Magnus' color scheme makes that mold pop even though its a brick and still a repaint.

[​IMG]

On the shadow Commander Set!

I have preordered multiple shadow commander sets because it just hawt and I believe those that wait will regret missing out and have to pay a ridiculous premium to pick it up later. Now I will point out that I will not pick up the convoy version because current pictures don't appeal to me. Supporting FansProjects, which did an amazing job, is incidental. As long as they continue their stellar work then they should expect my support because of a quality product/ service.

17. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Hm. hard to describe. I may change my mind when i have it in hand. The features on the face just look... somewhat differently styled. maybe it's just me. But that's honestly just a nitpick anyway.

18. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I agree with King and MegaHavok. I don't think the Magnus repainting is as bad as we think it is. I love my CC armor set and pre-ordered Shadow Commander as soon as I could. Sure a retooled head would be cool, but it looks great regardless. I have two Nemesis Primes so one can go in the armor set and the other will display next to it. Fanprojects Matrix and gas tank weapon for the Alts and their Classics Matrix has ensured that I will be buying all their upcoming products.

If I had to pick anything about the CC armor set to complain about it would be the head seems alittle small to me and the head is very tight on mine. I'm afraid to put the pressure on it that it would require to move it. Those are two very small complaints on a great set.

19. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    I could pre-empted my City Commander Love fest by saying that I'm a big Convoy/Prime/Nemesis fan. I have a lot of the repaints, and as for magnus, I've had all the ones pictured in KKs pic (minus the laser magnus)...The sword for Nemesis Commander look cool as well (Hope someone molds it as sells it by itself), What my rant was basically about is Magnus has a cool set all to himself and (for my collection at least) will keep it for himself.
    Everyone has good points, and to each his own, but this set really set itself apart for me...the FansProject guys have a fan for life in me...