My thoughts on TF:A Figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by grimlock1972, May 2, 2009.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Wheni first saw themin store a few months ago i though they loooked too kiddie and i did not want them but since then this board has changed my mind about them and i have purchased 3 1 yoyager class ( Wreck-Gar) and 2 deluxes ( Samurai-Prowl and Swindle ) and now that i have had some in hand i wish i would have bought some sooner they are great , highly articulated allowing for many poses and loaded with character awesome awesome toys , i willget more asi can afford to.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think you forgot to space some words at the end, but I got ya.

Animated will remain on my shelf for ever. Truely great figures and It's a rotten shame it was so short lived.

3. DinoTarant

DinoTarant Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are cool, and different. Shockwave, and Soundwave are the best. Hopefully they come out with Constructicons.

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I agree, I really like animated. It was nice to go from the EXTREMELY detailed Movie toys to super sleek Animated. It really is one of my favorite "era."

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    yah i did XD cause ummm Wreck-Gar tried to help me type XD serious im not a good typer as for my animated figs im have a hard time keeping my hands off them

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Mine too. The contrast was so refreshing. Between Animated, the Movie and Classics, it's like we've been through a second golden age. Some really great toys.

To OP Grimlock1972, after Swindle(who is awesome) I'd say keep an eye out for Blur, Lockdown and voyager Bulkhead. I found them some of the most well executed and innovative designs in the line. Actually there's almost nothing I wouldn't recommend from animated. Some have their flaws, but they are all quite excellent and unique enough to be worth a purchase. The only really bad one I got was an activator Bulky.

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The exposure the board gave me to (mostly) insightful thoughts from TFA fans also changed my mind - about the show, anyway.

I don't think anything could change my mind about the toys. :lol 

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Not a big Animated collector because for a while there between Universe, Robot Heroes, and GI Joe my budget couldn't cover everything.

The few Animated figures I do have are really nice so it's sort of a shame the line didn't take off as well as we would have hoped.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Oh, how I hated the Animated aesthetic. Right up until I saw Leader Megs. Then it was like a flip switched, and I love it now. I've got almost all of them, something that hasn't happened to me in a line since Car Robots.

It was funny, when I picked up Universe Leo Prime, I was almost put off by how ultra-detailed he was. Combined with his slightly off proportions, lackluster articulation, and all those lines, I realized just how use to the smooth lines of Animated and soulfull designs I had become.

I have a feeling that I may never be so enamoured with a line as I've become with Animated. The line as a whole is just chock with so much win. Shockwave, Voyager Bulkhead, and many more are just fun to mess around with, and others just look so damn good in a shelf, or in a group.

10. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    I love how well proportioned Animated figures are. And it's great how they deliberately give them different builds, like tall and lanky, big and fat, slim and athletic, broad and muscular, short and stocky. You got that before, but it never seemed like a deliberate design choice for the sake of the character. It was more like it just happened depending on what the alt mode was.

And I know what you're talking about with that Universe Leo Prime figure. It's like rather than fix the basic weakness of the figure, they just threw on heaps of detail to distract from it. It seemed alright a few years ago, but in retrospect it's just a bit gaudy and most of the unnecessary detail just clutters up the design.

Animated is so good the other stuff starts to look bad.

11. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Didn't think much of animated toys at first - like many here I thought they were for little kids. Then I saw Blurr. Bought him in a hearbeat. Then I watched the cartoon for the first time. After that I bought every toy in the line (except the bug bots - I hate bugs).

Animated has become my second favorite line (just behind classics/henkei) and has bumped all of my G1s off of my display cases.

12. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    they suck...pure and simple...they look like playschool toys....

yeah i said it!

13. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

When I first saw the cartoon stills of TFA, I was completely put off by the aesthetic. Then, when we started seeing toy prototypes, I kinda got the bug.

Since then, I've become a big fan of the cartoon and the toy line. It has a couple which looked cool but ultimately disappointed me (mainly Swoop), and a few which I didn't think I'd like, but bought "because I need to buy something" and actually thought they were great (Sentinel Prime and Oil Slick stick out here).

I now have quite a few (not all, but I think most) deluxe and leader moulds, and a couple of voyagers - no repaints, yet, but I'll probably pick up Electrostatic Soundwave. I'd say the three leader moulds, particularly Ultra Magnus, are very cool. Even Megatron, which I'd initially avoided because of the simple transformation, is quite cool.

If you want some cool TFA toys, I'd suggest...

Leader: Ultra Magnus, Bulkhead
    Voyager: Optimus Prime, Bulkhead
    Deluxe: Sentinel Prime, Oil Slick, Blurr, Swindle, Jazz, Prowl

I realise that's almost half of the non-activators line, but that's just how cool these toys are :) 

Not wanting to influence you at all, but for every TFA Ultra Magnus that goes unsold, Primus kills a kitten ;) 

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I doubt I will ever NOT have Animated toys on display in my room; they're just too damn good to leave sitting in boxes. They've been there since I started getting them, and that was with prerelease figures early last year.

15. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:

a second golden age, i'd agree, theres something for everybody. Only the various QC issues (esp with animated) have spoiled some of the fun. I'd also argue that some animated toys are immediate classics that could be considered awesome toys generally, blurr comes to mind, an incredible piece of artistry.

16. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Yeah, Swoop isn't so great. The pterodactyl mode was a bit of a disappointment for me, and it was probably the worst one I got in terms of quality control. Bot mode is decent though.

Ultra Magnus is an absolutely terrific figure. Forgot about that one. Definitely on the must-have list.

Sentinel is also a lot better than I thought he'd be. I thought the transformation was very well handled. And he's actually worth getting just for the head sculpt. Such an overconfident dick. He cracks me up just looking at him.

17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

you know... it's weird, people tend to not like the tfa's until they buy them... and then they are addicted to them as if they were laced with crack...

:lol 

are they? :p 

18. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Shhh..... that's supposed to be a secret.

19. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Despite our various frustrations, on the whole and for the most part, Hasbro's doing a great job. The funny thing is, this time around there's no gobots. The only toys that pose any real competition this time are other Hasbro transformer lines.

20. Plastic Man

Plastic Man The Man in Black

Waspinator's one of my favorites dude. You should pick him up.