My thoughts... (A Dynamic Discussion)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cheetorBWORG, Apr 23, 2009.

1. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I kindly request that people PLEASE offer serious thoughts and discussion. I will try to stay away from taboo subjects (politics and religion), maybe teeter on the edges, but will generally stay away. If I could also kindly request to reading administrators and mods to look through my post and make changes where necessary and contact me, rather than outright lock this, I would appreciate it.

The way this works is that I offer my view on the subject and I wait for the users to reply, generally waiting for a page (10 comments). Once I see some responses, I will offer my counter-points and views, then continue on with my next point. This is what I mean by a "dynamic" discussion.

I just only wish to express my deepest thoughts and feelings, and see if I can come to a positive resolution with my peers, and maybe learn new things about them. To bring an enriching experience to the boards and the internet.

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained." I'm nervous, considering this boards track record, but let's get this started, shall we?

PART 1

I've been screwing around with Google Maps right now, and I've just taken a look at my current home in Edmonton, Alberta. It's kinda cool seeing your house on a satellite photo. Puts a perspective of how big the world is.

So, I kinda get this pang of homesickness. I've just recently moved to Edmonton, on the 1st of this month, as part of a plan for a family move. But... things... didn't go quite as planned. However, that's another discussion entirely.

Anyways, I decided to check out where I used to live, in Quebec. It's cool to see this birds eye view of everything. Yet... this idea creeps into my head... I mean... I call/called these places my home. But... they're just places on the map. A simple apparatus built on the earth to shelter humans from the weather and store their necessities and worldly possessions.

A home is pretty important to us as humans. We need it to survive. Without it, our ability to sustain ourselves would be near or utterly impossible.

Is this not the truth?

P.S. - I just want to start out small right now, and work my way up.

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I disagree entirely. I point to the Native American Indians in North America, as well as the ancient civilizations in the area now known as the "Middle East", and the early indigenous people of Africa that never stayed in one place, but rather followed the herds of animals that sustained them and followed the water as the seasons changed, etc.

Truth be told, some of the greatest civilizations of our time (Rome, Mesa Verde, the Incan and Mayan civilizations) all were destroyed or the people mysteriously vanished/disappeared without a trace, either from disease or other varying factors.

Home is where you make it.

The feeling of being "homesick" is a modern civilization creation that stems from the rather ease it is to get from one location to another and the fact that we feel "comfortable" at "home" because, in honesty, all of our shit is there. Our possessions that our psyche has erected (heh, erected) in our brains that actually make us believe that our toy collections, our personal wealth derived from what we own, somehow generates value, worth, and most of all, importance to our lives.

You're a victim of 19th/20th/21st century thinking :)  A human has two basic natural instincts - to survive and to destroy. Thus we're always trying to destroy each other, but yet, we survive. That's why we're often referred to as a "cancer" to the Earth, as the cancer acts in a way that causes the host to destroy itself. In an effort to survive, cancer destroys the very tool it's needing to survive.

It's 1am leave me alone.

3. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I'd like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realised that humans are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. Instead you multiply, and multiply, until every resource is consumed. The only way for you to survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer on this planet, you are a plague, and we... are the cure.

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    You would have just won this thread if you added a "Whoa" in there.

5. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    I've been homesick since 2007. It's gotten better with time. I used to look up old addresses on maps, less advanced as google earth at the time. Depression hit hard and I became a shut in for a bit. But then I did this and it made me feel better. It got my feelings out while being able to express myself. Coomunication of your feelings isnt always in direct speech.

YouTube - Journey Home to Queens, New York

6. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

From a historical perspective, I think that homesickness is normal and entirely justified.

As Kickback put it, we were once (and some humans still are) nomadic. However, the agricultural revolution (farming) changed that for most of our species and facilitated the rise of civilizations. However, by staying in one place - well, that also facilitates warfare. (I use "facilitate" and not "enable" because both civilization and warfare are possible for nomads - but settled groups are more prone to both.) As such, humans started to develop large groups (clans, for example), defenses, divisions of labor, etc. The cumulative result of all of this is that people became attached to the land that they farmed / defended / were safe(r) on.

So I would say that homesickness (the feeling of unease resulting from moving from familiar to unfamiliar territory) is normal and entirely justified. It may not be logical - you have moved from one province of Canada to another, you're still in Canada and still in the Commonwealth of Nations - but "it is what it is."

7. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This thread will not end well.

And as the topic of being homesick - sure you miss people, things, places, etc., but when you move to a new area, after a certain amount of time when you start building memories IN that area (even thoughts while driving to work, a road or intersection reminds you of something) then the "homesickness" generally goes away, for the most part.

I disagree with what Kickback says to a point; although I can't explain my reasoning in here :p 

8. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    I respectfully disagree a bit. IMO, Homesickness only goes away when you are happy in your new environment.

9. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

I've never really been homesick. Even when I go on long trips. I've lived in the same city my entire life, so when I leave it, even for awhile, the change is good and makes me feel refreshed. I don't ever want to move from my city though, because of all the friends I've built up over the years, and the familiarity of my surroundings makes me feel safe. I also feel safe because the worst 'gang' activities around here are people tagging every piece of public property in sight, but that's another conversation.

Hmm.... now that I look back at it, calling my tiny town a 'city' is a bit much. xD

10. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

In the last 9 years, I've lived in the Carribean (year and a half), Miami (6 months), Chicago (4 months) and New York (2 years). I've been here in LA (home) from time to time but wherever I was, that was home for me. I was homesick, but the reason was because most of my family is in LA. I actually took my G1 Jazz with me everywhere I went to kinda remind me of home but ultimately, I didn't miss having my stuff as much as I missed my family. Truth be told though, I made my own family wherever I went and so the concept of moving around isn't a daunting one at all. In fact, I think its something everyone should experience if they can (financially and time permitting), because it really helps you grow as a person and helps you gain this important little thing called perspective.

11. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally speaking, I've never been homesick but that may be to do with the fact where I used to call home hasn't felt like home for a looooong time now... That, and for the last year I've never been in a place longer than a few months to justify calling it a home has left the concept of "homesickness" kinda moot to me...

But I can see how people would feel. I guess it all boils down to how comfortable you are with your surroundings. If you have a happy and comforting memory of where you once were, for any reason, then there's always gonna be something in your mind that will always yearn for that, even if you are happy with where you are now.

12. T-money

T-money Cake is good

News Credits:
    I agree with the above. Re-locating for whatever reason can provide one with additional knowledge, different experiences and even negative experiences that one can learn from and ultimately grow as a person in a positive way.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's all about adjusting to new elements. Been out of mine many times, we move every 2 years.
    If I stayed in one place, I would'nt have met as many interresting people. But my home is my family.

It can be depressing if you look back too much. It's ok to do it, but moving foward is where the life is . Like I would know, I keep buying toys that remind me of the ones I had when I was a kid :lol 

Now when I visit my old neighborhood, my old buddies seems too dull & racist to me anymore becasue that place seemed isolated from the rest of the world. Glad to be out of there. People should get out more and live among different people before they judge them.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I've never, ever missed places. I only miss people.

Also, I'm surprised nobody's posted "Cool story, bro" in this thread yet.

15. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree completely with every word you said. God will have mercy on your soul :p 

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Fresh already took the best word for the thread :lol , (perspective)
    Can't beat that post

I wonder if racism plays a small role in people never moving. If someone stays in the same place all ther life, they may end up making false accusations from learning everything from the tv. Living in a small world, outside the real one, can really limit one's view.

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think the saying 'You can never go home" rings very true. Sure you miss your home and life that you had back in Quebec, but if you were to move back, would things be the really be the same? In my experience coming back is never as enjoyable as the memories that and experiences that you remeber once having.

My thoughts, make the most of the life that you have in Edmonton. From what I understand it is filled with cheap booze and monosyllabic girls ready to be taken advantage of....

18. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.