My theory on why Protoforms were needed

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Buster_Witwicky, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

I probably looked over something and will sound like an idiot, but I just read that in space, if two pieces of uncoated metal touch they are fused together.

Protoforms could be some sort of organic layer of armor that's weaker than raw metal. It is durable enough to get through space, but rather ineffective in battle. Cybertronians themselves are probably not metal, but their armor is.

In 2007, Megatron had some sort of custom armor that was strong and able to go in space. Maybe he had a special coating to keep it safe.

So what do you think, plausible? Are there any huge flaws I am overlooking?

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Not anyhthing wrong, I but preferred my theory that Protoforms were the weaker forms only used by those who lack an alt-mode [, as in Cybertron alt-modes were probably much harder to acquire because you couldn't just scan one and drive with it, you had you be built with it or to be updated with one] or to travel in space.

You see why I think that:

Weak forms used only by those who lack alt-mode - You can see that random Autobot and Decepticon Nameless Soldiers are only Protoforms, I have the theory that this was done because: A - It harder to acquire an alt-mode back on Cybertron [you had to be built with it or be updated with it] and B - It made the mass-production of them faster.

To travel through space - Optimus and crew in the first movie.

And lastly, Protoforms =/= Cybertronian forms, different matters entirely in my opinion [Protoform is a weaker one used by travel or by "lesser" dudes], Cybertronian form is just was strong as the normal TF form, the difference being that they have an alt-mode [Megatron being an example on the first two movies].

3. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

Protoforms are the natural state of a Cybertronian, before they acquire an alt mode.

Of course they must be weaker forms than that of a Cybertronian that has already chosen an alt mode.

4. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    my opinion
    protoforms - soft metal and naked transformers
    they scan an alt mode and the metal sets hard and acquire it as armour aswell as skin

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

You mean like a Cybertronian Dr Zoidberg? :p 

6. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I just thought they were covered in metal and after scanning that metal merely changes form to resemble the shapes from their alt mode.

After scanning though their interiors seem to change because Protoforms don't have wires and stuff do they?

7. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    ^THIS

8. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I think that most TFs are built with cybertronian modes,when they travel through space w/o a ship they use a Protoform,then they scan earth modes. Sentinel must not have used a Protoform,so he was really in his cybertronian bot mode on the moon

9. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Protoforms were needed to cut movie budget costs :

- they all use pretty much the same texture map
    - no transformation rigging required
    - instance copy instance copy
    - they are easier to get away with inaccuracies

So, mostly practical reasons. Plain n simple.

10. roaddemon2001

roaddemon2001 Mr. fixit

looks about right to me

11. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

true, but i wouldn't really go into the cost of the productions on a board about the story

12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    No ? So far, the CGi has proven to be expensive enough to keep actual Transformers screentime, to a limit....which directly affects story or at least the screenplay.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I dunno man, if protoforms are strong enough to get through the radiation, micrometeorites, and reentry damage of space travel, they should shrug off most minor battle damage.

Maybe its more a case of "protoforms are used because reformatting takes resources or effort or knowledge that is unavailable to most cybertronians, so only those who've prepared for their environment beforehand like the autobots are able to do it quickly and easily. Most cybertronians would rather stay in their protoform than risk taking an alt mode in ignorance or haste that puts them at a disadvantage."

14. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Here's a question: in the movieverse, if a TF leaves a planet to go to another, do they have to revert to protoform before scanning a new altmode?

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If that altmode is incapable of space travel, yes they do. Megatron kept his Cybertronian mode during the trip to earth, and Bumblebee and Megatron showed they can change more than once after they get to earth.

If you're asking if they get onto a ship and go to a different planet, do they have to change, I doubt it, unless the mode they have won't help them hide, and they need to.

16. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

some protoforms be autobots combie members