My Son + 1986 Movie = Pure Win

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by j.a.f.o., Aug 26, 2008.

1. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

News Credits:
    I hope I get to have that kind of experience when I'm grown up and have kids of my own.
    That sounds so great, and I love your son's names of the old songs. "The Rodimus Song." Awesome.

BTW, I'm guessing you showed your son the version of the movie without Spike's, "Oh (crap)!What are we gonna do now?!" line, right?

2. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I brainwashed my son as well lol...

3. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My daugher (3) and son (almost 2) love to watch it when daddy throws it on. They are both very intense on music and just get a kick out of the music. I laugh because I draw a lot and have some pieces up in our place and my daughter asks if I did it for the movie!
    Also, we have Comcast and Thundercats is always on demand and they REALLY love to watch that show too!

4. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Kids always come up with funny names for things. :) 
    when I was 2 I called transformers "bombers"(according to my family) cause I couldn't quite pronounce transformers yet. the next best thing was coming up with a word that was associated with the show, and that was stuff blowing up. :) 

5. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Thats magic mate

I got my godson the movie a couple of years back when he had chickenpox. We watched it about 10 times then and plenty since. He loves the music (especialy dare and Instruments of destruction). He can also do a great Wheelie impression.

The G1 movie is so much better than the bayverse one. Maybe its just nostalgia talking, but every kid I know prefers it.

6. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    My six-year-old daughter loved the '07 movie, then watched Beast Wars with me and loved that as well. We currently watch TF:A religiously. I'd say i'm raising a Transformer fan, and that makes me proud (especially since she loves to go TF hunting with daddy on weekends).

When I got the '86 movie and we sat down to watch it, she looked at me after about 10 minutes and said "Daddy, this is kinda boring".
    I didn't argue. It started boring me about 10 minutes later.

Honestly, I grew up with G1 and saw the '86 movie in the theaters when I was 14. Now, it holds little to no interest for me. I wanted to be excited about getting the movie on DVD, just for a taste of my childhood, but it didn't work. I just can't find the nostalgia for it that some people here can. Wish I could, but it's not happening. Having my daughter say the movie bored her sealed the deal.
    I guess we became spoiled by modern animation. Today's product is so much better, both in writing and artwork. Watching such a throwback is almost painful.

In the end, you don't have to like G1 to be a Transformer fan. Just being aware of the old school helps to appreciate the new school, and my little TF girl has a great start!

7. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    It is a bit slow in the middle section of the movie BUT I would never call it painful!!!

8. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

QFT

This thread is pretty cool. I used to think of those songs as Rodimus's song and Hot Rod's song too. Still do.

Cool Hot Rod Dare vid

Cool Rodimus Touch vid

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Some people are odd aint they?

I love the 1986 film, love it, love it, love it by brother has seen it and enjoyed and my father has watched it quite a few times too and throughly enjoys it and he doesn't care in the slightest about Transformers.

Its just a perfect film you can chill to...while reciting all the amazing quotes :) 

10. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Not to sound argumentative, but why's that odd? I consider myself a true Transformer fan from the get-go, but does that mean that I have to still like G1 or the '86 movie?

My comment about the movie being painful was in regards to the dated animation, sound effects and voice actors. For the time, it was really good and I enjoyed it. In comparison to what came later (which the next generation of TF fans will associate with more), it's rough and inconsistant and no longer fun for me. I don't hold it as nostalgic as some do.

To me, it's great when the younger crowd is introduced to the franchise, because that means that it'll live on. Whether they're brought in through G1, Beast Wars or the live-action movies shouldn't determine the quality of the fan.
    My daughter prefers Animated and the live-action style. Is she still a fan?
    Yes, she is.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    It was said in jest.

I think the animation holds up very well and is still better than the g1 series itself and a lot of the other series that followed but thats just I :) 

12. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is awesome dude. Glad to hear your boy really enjoyed it. That movie has something for everyone in it.

13. Hbomb

Hbomb New Member

My son is four and a huge transformers fan. My husband recently broke out his old transformer cartoons and that is all my son wants to watch. I was surprised by how much he loved them since he had been watching the movie and the new cartoons. It's a great father/son bonding moment (Dad is Optimus and son is Bumble Bee). I'm learning quite a few things too. ( I have to keep up) Anyway I was wondering if anyone here knew where I could print off or get a letter from a transformer. My son's preschool class is filled with a new generation of Transformers fans. They have the sound effects down and everything. They also have a "mailbox" and get so excited when they get "mail" I was hoping to find something "authentic" and "official" for them. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

14. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'll never quite understand why movie critics panned the movie so badly. It's an excellent piece of animation and very well written. It's not 100% perfect but what movie is?
    A big part of my childhood was going to the theater to see it with my late nephew back in the summer of '86.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think many of the critics were focusing mostly on the movie being a feature-length animated toy advertisement, and ignoring positive aspects beyond that. It ain't high art, but I think it's just about the top of the heap as theatrically-released toy ads go. :)