My sick kitty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hybrid Prime, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

Hey all,
    Does anyone know what causes kidney blockage and kidney stones in cats?This is the second time my kitty has gotten them.I feel bad for the poor little guy.I refuse to put him down he is only a year old and everyone in the family is too attached to him.The last time I took him in it was almost $400.00 and scraping money to take him in right now.The vet agreed to see him but payment must be paid in full in 2 weeks.So I've thrown up some auctions for my Voltron and MIB G1 Prime if anyone wants to help me out and bid on my items.I'm not asking for any free hand outs I'm too proud of a person but some bid help would be great.Prime will be up later this evening.Thanks in advance to anyone who bids.
    Respectfully,Hybrid Prime

[​IMG]

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

It's the water you are giving to your cat to drink. Has to much calcium deposits or whatever you call it in english. The same thing they advertise Calgonit water softener for.

3. Synical

Synical Well-Known Member

Did the vet tell you last time what you can do to help prevent the problem? (probably not, vets are more useless than doctors) Does your cat drink enough water? Do you feed it anything out of the ordinary? Also, you cat appears to be an albino, and they tend to have more problems and more genetic flaws than normal cats, it could just be it's genes at work, esspecially in a cat that young.

4. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

He is all white yes,but has blue eyes.The vet told me it was the fish from the moist cat food.I don't buy that for a min. He does drink alot of water and on ocasion a small bit of milk.He eats dry and moist cat food.

I'm sure it is the same problem as last time he was doing the same thing.going to the litter box and start crying out alot and the litter box has been dry for about a day and a half now.I got ahold of the vet and he goes in tommarow after noon.

I'm thinking about going to a diferant vet this one charges more then my old vet and don't seem to care about your animals as much.

5. brenspin

brenspin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would suggest trying a different vet if you feel your current one hasn't been particularly helpful or caring. Did your vet recommend any dietary changes to make after your kitty had to go to the vet the first time?

Can I ask what type/quality of food you are feeding him? Did you start feeding him a different type of cat food after his first bout of kidney problems?

I have 3 cats, and both of my males have had urinary tract infections which are caused by crystals which form in the bladder and can block the urinary tract. I'm assuming/hoping your vet was correct when he said your kitty had kidney stones/blockage.

ANYWAY, I used to feed them standard Purina (blue bag) cat food in the morning and moist canned food in the evening. I had to start feeding them more expensive Iams brand dry cat food (still give them moist food too). There are many other 'higher' quality dry cat foods out there. Yeah, they cost more, but I'm sure your kitty is worth $1 per day or so to you.

I also have a male cat with white fur and blue eyes. When he was a kitten, the vet asked me if it seemed like his hearing was ok because apparently deafness is a common trait with white-haired, blue-eyed males.

Best wishes to you and your kitty. :) 

6. brenspin

brenspin Well-Known Member

Here's an article that may give you some insight as to why your kitty is having problems. It basically speaks about the fact that dry food is not an ideal diet for a cat. Makes sense to me. You may consider feeding him moist food more often, and when/if you feed him dry food, try a higher quality dry food.

Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

7. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    How old is your cat? Did this problem just started recently? Did they at least do bloodwork to evaluate kidney function. If he has stones, did they take radiograhies? You don't just change the diet of a cat since they have stones. There are more than one type of kidney/bladder stones. Depending on what type it is main decide which cat food he needs to be on. And taking your cat to another vet can be good or bad. If your current vet isn't that helpful or great, then go to another vet. But going to another vet can get expensive since they might want to repeat test. Recommend bring all the paperwork you have with you to the new vet. Sounds like you need a better management program for those stones. From what I know, there's no reason to put down that cat. It still has years to live. Just find another vet. There's tons of cats with kidney stones that are managed well for year.

And being food/diet related isn't too far off. So I would just keep the type of food you feed him in your mind.

8. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

Yeah,he is only a year old.I feed him 1-2 cans of moist food a day.Usually 9-lives.I try to stock up on it when it is on sale since that is his prefered kind.I just leave a small bowl of deli cat dry food out to help with the tarter between teeth cleanings.He gets 2 bowls of milk a week.Moist cat treats on occasion.Some times a can of tuna if the kids sneak him one.Fresh cat nip all through the spring,summer,fall.Luckily his hearing is fine.My vet said Defness was a common trait and I got lucky.

I think they are full fledged kidney stones.Last time the vet had to put him in some machine that used sound waves or some type of pulse to help break up the stones.They almost always do blood work.The vet just told me that I should keep him off the moist cat food with fish in it.I asked a few other vets and they said fish is actually very good for him and should not cause any urinary problems in fact it helps they said.Yeah the cat is worth more then a dollar a day.I'll either buy some of the special dry food they have at the vet or some urinary tract food at the store.

Wonder why the vet did not have me bring him in immediatly if he is not going?That causes toxin build up in the blood does it not?

9. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    It all depends. If a cat has a stone but can still urinated, it's an issue but not an emergency. If a cat is completely blocked which he can't pee at all, then it's a medical emergency leading to neurological signs. If you see any of that, take him to the ER right right.

Did they say what types of stones they are? Depending on the stone types will decide what type of treatment is needed. If your veterinarian has the machine to eliminate the stones using ultrasound, then they pretty much know what they are doing. I would listen to them. You can get a second opinion, but not everybody has that machine or know how to use it. They should have gave you recommendations on diet change and medication. Check your discharge instructions. All vets should give you a report/take home form describing the necessary changes needs to correct the problem.

On another note, surprised that the cat is so young developing this. But it's also good cause he has a great chance of recovering. Again, would recommend doing everything you can. A would recommend a web fund raiser if need be. Good luck.

10. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Since you're a local I can ask a direct question.

Where are you taking the kitty? For our dogs we bounced between 3 or 4 vets before settling on the VCA on 26 by Target. They have always explained everything and taken their time to make sure that we understood everything.

11. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    hope your cat gets better soon.

12. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Aww, what a little cutie!

9-Lives moist is the McDonalds of cat food, toxic garbage - it's got the same kind of stuff in it that gives people the gout. Look into something a little more healthy, organic, and without so many preservatives. Hills Science Diet, Iams, etc.

I'm not so much a fan of the moist stuff in general, but if you're gonna go that route at least get the best stuff you can.

13. Screambug

Screambug King of Transformers

Hope your cat gets well soon.:/

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I'd say drop the moist food and move to a full dry food diet. Moist food contains all kinds of shit and is, in general, too rich for them to digest properly and leads to liver and kidney complications later in life as well as affecting them throughout. Even a very good quality dry food will work out cheaper than cans or pouches of moist.

15. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Yeah man, get him off the cheap stuff. Science Diet is the only thing that flies in my house for our three cats. And, not even that is fully able to escape stomach issues as our youngest developed allergies to the Science Diet and is now on a special perscription food, which is still made by Hills.

I hope you kitty gets better :) 

16. McBradders

Oh yes, best of luck with securing the funds, your cat is fucking adorable.

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    One our cats had a kidney problem and it helped switching its diet. We fed it a special food for kidneys by science diet. Ask the vet or the pet store about it.

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Second the second opinion thing.

Also, stones typically fall into one of three categories: diet, abnormal anatomy (tubes are twisted or something), or genetics (body is simply misprogrammed). Good food and make sure lots of water is available for him, and use the second opinion to determine if it's the one of the latter two.
    Since the auctions have been pimped and the best advice possible has been given, I feel okay about taking some time to focus on this a little bit.

Because you're definitely right. No doubt about it. The internet is a FAR better source of information than some dude with 8+ years of school.

Tell me more about useless those doctors are. Also, I'd love to hear about your qualifications to assess medical providers.

19. McBradders

:lol 

Is it wrong to love you so hard?

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I secretly confess to loving your reign of terror in Video Games. You're also the inspiration for all my uses of INTERNET MEGAPHONE. :D