My SDCC experience

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Ogami Daigoro, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

First my gripes:

1. Parking's a bitch and a half.
    2. I pre-registered online and had to wait in a line that stretched all the way around SD Convention Center for 3+ hours. On site registration line was maybe 30 minutes long.
    3. Alt Rodimus was sold out by the time I got there at 2pm-ish. See my post in the HTS/Alt Rodimus thread in Toyark for more details here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1486300&postcount=206

Cool things:
    1. Got to see Superman: Doomsday's world premiere
    2. Did manage to pick up the ML Shulkie exclusive
    3. Found some other stuff that has been long on my want lists (ML Kitty Pryde, Shadow Hunters DVDs, some trades)
    4. SDCC swag
    5. Kaiju Big Battel merchandise
    6. Fun merchandise elsewhere to be seen (Alex Ross's Ambiguously Gay Duo, T-shirt of Zod saying "Kneel", Xena shirt with Sardonicus/Joxer/King of Thieves, Lone Wolf and Cub and Zatoichi mini figs)
    7. The Tick drawn as a zombie by Arthur Suydam on a SDCC exclusive shirt, which I bought of course.

All in all, I'm still glad I went. I have a lot to learn for the next time I may go. Namely, get there damn early!

2. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

Agreed, the parking/traffic situation is awful. My wife and I drove there Wednesday for the preview night, and quickly decided not to bother trying that again. A 4-day trolley pass cost $15. Much better than $10 a day for parking, and a lot faster too. Downtown San Diego just isn't built to handle that much traffic.

I heard people were having trouble with registration yesterday. I guess I should be glad I went to the preview night just for that alone. The process was actually pretty quick. Still wish I'd gone even earlier though. Was late getting to the floor because of registering.

HTS... Let's just say I don't think I can say much more while remaining calm and rational.

Congrats on making it into the premiere! The line was ludicrous by the time I got there after work.

It's definitely been a learning experience. If this is typical for the Comic Con, I'm starting to feel much better about not having been able to make it the previous four years I've been living here. I'm not going to get much out of today due to work again, but I'm really hoping the weekend makes up for it.

3. Ogami Daigoro

I went to Comic-Con two years ago and the registration crap wasn't anywhere near this bad. Of course, at that time I just did on-site registration and it took an hour tops. 3+ hours for people already registered and paid online is unacceptable when the on-site line looked like it was 30 minutes long. It did feel like there were more people than 2 years ago at the event overall.

I think I'm boycotting HTS at the least for this massive screw over. Way to not care about your fans!

4. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

It seems like everyone I meet keeps talking about how there are so many more people this year. Wednesday, I heard several people complaining that it felt more like a Saturday than a preview night. It was difficult to even find space to walk a lot of the time.

It actually seemed a bit less crowded yesterday while I was there. I assume it's because a lot of the people were off at various events, unlike Wednesday when everyone was in the exhibit room.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Friends and I took a train down to San Diego (was couple hours or so to get there, but it was fun just hanging out and being hyped), and just walked from the station (which was probably much better than having to deal with parking).

We registered on-site (and from the sound of things...that was a good idea)..we had got to the convention center, maybe a half hour or fifteen minutes after it opened, and were in line to register for..I'd say around an hour.

I was surprised at how many people there were there, since I figured the larger crowds would be there on Friday and (espescially) Saturday.

I do believe I have ranted enough about Hasblow and how they handled things (I still want my Rodimus ;_;) , but nothing can really be accomplished by bitching...so I digress.

Was a ton of cool stuff to see (I walked back and forth across the floor at least 4 times and I STILL don't think I saw everything), met some cool people, bought some stuff I had been wanting, found stuff to try and get/do next year (in fact, we all decided that next year we all would split up with sketch books and try and compile the BEST SDCC sketchbooks we can).

Just an amazing experience, am sooooo glad I went. I cannot wait to go next year (in addition to Quakecon and Botcon).

6. Ogami Daigoro

Glad you had a good experience, but you've now given me reason to complain to Comic-Con about how they treat their online pre-registered guests. I had a feeling that onsite line was way short. I was just unsure that those people would even get in at all, that's why I didn't mind having pre-registered. Now I'm quite pissed.

7. thepoetrydude

thepoetrydude Well-Known Member

Superman: doomsday was assume, so was Dr Strange. And I'm really looking forward to Iron Man, that looks great! I'm glad to have some sort of Idea on JJ Abrams "cloverfield", we now know it is not Godzilla, but a new monster movie. I was suprised by the casting of Spock for the new Trek movie, he looks like a young nimoy! The voice acting chosen for Justice league is solid and we have another Robotech animated film coming in roughly two year(or more like 4, but they said 2). But yeah Hasbrotoyshop pissed me off, I wasted able to get anything. They gave out tickets at two times during the day, you had to have one to buy anything. Thursday, I was standing in the pre-registered line waiting to get in during the first and in a panel the second time they gave out tickets. Today, I was in a panel duriung the first(not that I could've gotten to Hasbro in time anyway, some funky long way round out of the way to get in the door with my badge. The second time, security had requested Hasbro pass out tickets on the upper pavilion because of all the problems in caused. So not knowing this, I tried to get to Hasbro early then find it out rushing back up stairs to stand in a longer that possible line only to find that Hasbro was toying with the whole crowd! One by one each of us in line stuck our hand in a bag and picked a ticket. White go buy whatever you want, at designated times based on ticket number. Pink, tough luck-your screwed. And I got pink. They had about 250 white tickets and about 500-1000 in line it seemed, and if they would have passed them out in order of first come first served, I'd likely have my figures( that actually I found out later were mostly sold out.), luckily I was assured that plenty would be available online after comic con. and yes it was a packed crowd in there both days. But fun other than Hasbro. I met Simon Furman and got an autograph, too. hehehe. Last year was not nearly as packed! I wish I could go back tommorrow and sunday, but I must work.

8. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I was at the Hasbro Toy Shop @ 1pm today and I got a Rodimus and there were lots behind the counter. They were sold out of the Menasor for some reason(I didnt care for that figure. )