Minor/Repaint: My ROTF Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Cody2003, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

Finally.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the most extensive paintjob I've ever done on a TF. The base yellow is a custom mixed automotive yellow with an extremely fine pearl to mimic the metalic of the movie car in scale. Mods are replacement eyes made from plastic jewels, the roof panels and a set of heels on magnets. The fheel parts can store between his legs in alt mode. There is some other small work filling openings on his arms and a few screw holes as well.

I still need to do a few touchups here and there, and then put on the final clearcoat. The license plates need to be printed (genius that I am, I printed them on clear instead of white so rather than paint white and then apply them, I'll just wait to reprint) and the forehead emblem needs to be replaced (was accidentally wiped off while I did the bot mode clearcoat).

I just wanted to post these up before classes start next week and my projects get severely delayed. Might be a while before I get a chance to get out my lights and do a proper photoshoot.

C&C welcome!

Attached Files:

2. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    I love the mods here, what are the heels made of? I have a spare BB and I would love to take a stab at what you have done....

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very nice. The pin stripes are so well done. Might I ask what you did for them, also, the heel parts are awesome! Just to nitpick a little, but you should try your hand at making his arm panels.

4. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Amazing job here, Cody. That yellow is just awesome and the paint looks flawlessly applied. Great job adding details such as his heels and filling in that ugly gap in his arm.

Top shelf work, my friend. :thumb 

5. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Wow! I love how everyone keeps coming up with better and different mods! I like how you implemented the roof on the back of the robotmode.

The racing stripes look like the are labels. I'm I right?

I too think you should try and scratchbuild the armguards. Looks a bit naked this way.

I love the color you mixed. Somehow I'd like to try it with the real HoK Sunshine yellow.

iDD

6. Cody2003

Thanks guys!

Its just various pieces of kibble I had in my parts box. I think most of it came from an old HG Gundam Wing kit and an old mustang model. Basically I just added a metal plate to the bottom of his feet, and then started building off of a magnet keeping sure to work in pairs so left and right looked the same.

Stripes are decals. I picked up one of those inkjet printer kits just for this purpose. I really want to make the arm parts as well! That's on my list. And since they can just attach with magnets, I should be able to do them eventually. I thought about starting with Robot Replica BBs parts, but I couldn't see spending $14 just for those two small parts. I do plan to make them somehow though.

Thanks man! I have to say it's more of the paints work than mine. It's great stuff. I've used the same brand on my actual car and was surprised to find it was just as easy to work with on such a small scale.

Well, people have no choice but to keep doing stranger mods. Everything else has already been done. lol.

Yep. Stripes are decals. Like I said, hopefully arm guards will come eventually.

I'm half tempted to email Foose design and ask for the paint code Chip used on the prop car. lol. This yellow is supposed to be pretty close to the actual paint color used except for the metal flake size. My paint shop has apparently been getting quite a few requests for it. I won't be surprised to see at least a dozen bb yellow cars running around town in a few weeks.

You should look into doing what I did. Most automotive paint suppliers have a machine that lets them put any paint they mix into an aerosol can. The one I had sprayed extremely fine and with the same pattern that my paint guns use. It wasn't very different from spraying it normally and let the paint apply and flow exactly how it should.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey cody, I PM'd ya about an inquiry for the decals you used. Also, for the paints, what did you use exactly? I know of an automotive place that I can get some mixed up for me. Any help would be great. Thanks!

8. Waveride

Waveride Creative Team

News Credits:
    Awesome! Few things though, the front window isn't painted like the other windows. The yellow bar above the door handle should be black so the side looks like one big window, just like the real movie car.

9. Cody2003

Replied! :) 

none of the windows are painted. Still the factory blue so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I see what you mean about the side windows. I might try to do a bit of trimming and then black them.

Thx!

10. Waveride

Waveride Creative Team

News Credits:
    Because of the lighting it looked liked the windows were black. If they aren't try giving it a shot, it would look much better than the blue ones that come on the figure.

11. Cody2003

honestly it doesn't bother me like it does on other figures. Maybe it's because it complements yellow, or because it's already dark enough. I did black out the windows on my sideswipe and I'm not sure if I like it more or not. It's something to consider though.

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Double replied :)