my rant on superion...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by autodrift, Apr 13, 2011.

1. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got superion and the add-on kit when they were first released. i thought the kit was fair since it made it look like a robot with real limbs. but now, daaaamm the prices have gotten ridiculous. also CC for $300. woah

2. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well, we got completely off topic.

TJ, sorry you took it that way. I don't judge Military personel, not by a long shot. Take it as you will, but I respect military personel. Not going any further with this as you don't know me either and now I got words put into my mouth.

Back on topic, yeah, Superion is over rated.

3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I didn't say one thing you didn't say, or respond to anything that you didn't say. I was offended enough by what you'd posted to not have to post anything else. Your post was irrelevant and disrespectful, which is, at this point, seeming to be a trend, and, that's why I'm just going to cease acknowledging your posts at all. It's really that simple, and I'm obviously not the only one who read that nonsense and said, "wtf", so why you're responding as if only I took some kind of offense is beyond me. So, that's that.

Anyways: OP, it's never fun to be disappointed or have buyer's remorse on something. I can't speak for how much reviewing or reading up you did before buying it, but, hopefully you can find something redeeming enough in it to at least not let the positives shine.

4. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Guys, seriously take it to PM before one of you says something that the mods feel is worth a warning.

As for the OP:
    You did overpay for the kit, so the feeling you got messed over about price is pretty spot on (try the snowman version if you want to feel straight up railed)

As for not knowing by pics...I assume you didn't have the Superion Maximus before the kit. If so, you would have known pretty much what it would be like.

Barring that, ALWAYS WATCH VIDEO REVIEWS!!!!!!!

Optibotimus, Peaugh, etc. always give you a great view of everything about the toy.
    I prefer Optibotimus because he gives you his opinion of the toy as well as a comprehensive look at the toy.
    Peaugh is good for a more analytical view.

Reviews are there for a reason. There are no less than 5 good videos of everything about this particular toy. The sheer amount of resources out there should ensure you NEVER buy a toy without knowing what you're getting.

5. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Well, at $100 I would feel a little disapointed as well. I think the original price was either $44.99 or $49.99. At that price it is a lot more impressive. You are just lucky you don't already have the Bruticus Add-ons or you would feel even worse. The Bruticus one blows it out of the water.

That being said, I love the Superion kit and have both version. I really hated the energon combiners before having it.

6. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    +1. It is totally irrelevant having this conversation in this topic, and both of you have no clue when to just LET IT REST. There is nothing to win here.

Anyhow, I have both the Superion set and the FP upgrade set still MISB, and I have to say, I'm severely doubting if I should open these up, or just keep them for a little while longer and then sell them on... I do have Bruticus with FP upgrades, and I know Superion will be a letdown compared to him. All those reviews that are out there are indeed a great help in making choice like that a lot easier.

7. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I might be in the market for this set soon, so give me a shout (and a decent price, haha ;)  ) if you want to unload them.

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I unpacked my Snowman kit last night as I finally had managed to get hold of both the RotF and Energon Superions, and I wanted to try and make as G1 accurate a representation as I could. Aside from how utterly appalling the base Silverbolt figure is, I found the actual Fansproject kit to be superb.

Once everything is plugged in and clipped on, you end up with a really mean looking gestalt robot. My main complaint would be that the nose-cone of Silverbolt's jet keeps coming unpegged from Superion's waist. I would have liked it if the set included some kind of G1-style shield to clip into that area to stabilise and add some bulk to the figure, but it's not a big deal.

Overall, I think it works amazingly well if you have the Snowman version as IMO Superion should have white hands and feet. Also, it helped me to mix and match between the RotF and Energon limbs as I couldn't in good conscience have him ddisplayed with one brown leg and one pink leg! :lol  Man what were they thinking?

To summarise, I love it. Aside from all the minor quibbles (which are really all down to the base figure and not the FP add-ons) I really do think the end product is one of Fansproject's best products, considering how much it does with so little.

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll agree, $90 for the add-on kit is a lot. But that's also the after market price; it would be same as paying $150 for Protector now when he retailed for around $85. The kit also seems designed to fix the 'end of limb' problems- elbows, feet, and hands. It was a relatively conservative first big project for FP and I think they did an admirable job. That said there's still problems with the original mold, such as the legs being forced apart by the tail fins on the leg bots.

Process designed a piece to fix this and it's available through Shapeways. TJ is/was running a group buy from Shapeways for the Defender heel spurs, I'm sure you could get in on it and add the chest piece.

10. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I lived with ROFT Superion for a year (love my wife, suprise xmas gift) and had plenty of time to decide that I wanted the add on set after seeing all feedback, videos and pics around. Ebay prices were crazy and getting higher, so the recent restock was a no-brainer when I heard about it.

I think the poster's saying to do as much research on any purchase are spot on. Hell, took me until Oct last year to get Buster Prime at the right price as the standard figure paint job was a turn off.