my rant on superion...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by autodrift, Apr 13, 2011.

1. autodrift

autodrift Well-Known Member

So after waiting, i finally got superion with the fansproject add on kit. This is my first time purchasing a fansproject product, idk why but i thought the box would be bigger, also thought it was a bit expensive considering there isn't a lot to the kit. Just gives him hands, nicer feet, a gun, and a visor clip.

The kit really doe's wonders for superion tho, i cant imgaine not having it, superion would be worthless all by himself. i guess i just feel 100 bucks is a bit much for such a small amount of plastic. i understand that fansproject does'nt make these in huge quantities but still i feel the ticket is a bit high.

i am glad i have the fig, but i would have rather coughed up the extra 100 bucks and got bruticus with his add on kit because then atleast i can justify spending over 100 on a add on kit because your getting figures included as well.

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    To the bolded - Glad that you got a product that did it's job and you're impressed with.

As for all the rest - You saw pictures of what you were getting. You knew the price before you bought it. So, you can't say the price for what you got wasn't just when you said it was by purchasing it at that price knowing full and well what you were getting.

3. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

+1 with TJ and add that the dollar value is based on the reissue and fmv at this time. If you bought it when it came out (40+ I think), then you would have been VERY happy.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    considering you paid 2 1/2 times retail for the kit, (it was $40 when it came out) you probably did pay more, but it does it's job, and makes the pos hasbro maximus into an actual superion

5. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I gotta disagree with this part. A lot of times pictures don't tell the story at all. I actually don't like Superion either. I saw pics of him and such, and as you know pics can make a product seem better then it is.

The problem I had with him is his limited articulation and the fact that you really cannot do much with his arms. Also, you need to buy the chest filler.

I actually find in collecting TFs you really don't know what you have until you have it in hand. WFC Soundwave is a great example. I never expected him to be so good. On the other hand, I think you can agree, you didn't expect Galvatron to be so shitty.

6. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I dissagree with this post 99.9%, but, I'm not getting into it, bc this is what u do.

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    How you figure. What I do?

You know exactly what you get all the time? You know that Soundwave has 20 points of articulation? Do you think you know about Alternity Bumblebee from my pic?

I really thought he would be better then what he was. I wouldn't mind you explaining what I do? What is that exactly?

8. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Actually yes, I would mind. Drama's the last thing I log into Tfw for, and, my ignore list will have one more person long before I sit up and have a page full of back and forth with someone over petty shit.

As for knowing exactly what you get... of course not, however, I've never felt misslead either. If you look at pictures of superion, you can get a good feel for his range of arm movement just from their position and the way they connect at the joints. And the abdomen (not chest) filler isn't a "need", bc it stands fne without it, it's just a lot BETTER to move around freely with it inserted.

So, I dunno. I still feel that you get a pretty damned good feeling of what you'll see from pictures, especially with sites like here and seibertron which will load up with dozens of pictures of things in different poses and the like before they're even released.

Some of it's just common sense though. Like, with superion, you can see where the ball joint connector on the arm pieces is covered. So, that means, that that's a range of area where you know you can only move the arm so far outwards within that range without it popping off the balljoint.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  9. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. With all the resources we have available to us on the fan sites, it's pretty hard not to have a fairly good idea of what you're getting. There's an entire feedback section with both pictorial and video reviews dedicated to new and older figures, and the picture galleries are top notch, as are the video reviews. I know, for me, if I'm looking at a 3rd party figure or accessory, I research the HELL out of it before I buy it. I'm not in to spend big bucks on something I'm going to hate. It's why I bought Delicate Warrior over TRNS-01, because of the reviews I saw. It's also why I DID buy the TRNS Nightbird, because it got much better reviews than the others. I was still disappointed, but I did my homework on it, and at some point, I'll probably part with it.

There are those figures that you buy to fill a spot in your collection if you're a completionist, there are those you buy because they look cool or you've read they are cool, and there are those "impulse" or "reactionary" purchases you make because EVERYONE else seems to be making them, and sometimes you end up disappointed. It seems that might be the case here, and if it is, you always have the option to resell a figure or accessory. Someone is always looking to buy a figure. Especially FP stuff.

And the community here is very well versed in the pros and cons of figures. That's why the forums exist, if you have a question, ask it. When I got back into it, that's one of the first things I did, and I'm glad I did, because it helped me to focus on what was soon to go out of stock, or what was going to be harder to find and helped me prioritize. It's also a good way to find someone to take a figure off your hands if you don't like it.

10. Alucard77

News Credits:
    LOL, so you saying I bring drama? LOL. Not intended if that is the case.

All I am saying is look at it from other people's point of view. You may be able to see these things, and that is good. Not every one could. Saw a post here of someone who identified a mistransformation with a figure that was yet to be released. Not everyone can do that.

So all I am saying is I can see his point. Not intended back and forth on some petty arguement. It's just seeing others peoples points and not thinking your the only one who is always right.

The impulse things are the hardest especially on rare figures. I went back and forth for like 30 minutes one night on the Igear Autobot headquarters. By the time I went to buy it, it was sold out. They only had 1 in stock. I haven't seen it since.

I kept going, I am reading these bad reviews. Will I be screwed? But I actually like some stuff that had bad reviews and vice versa. For that set there were tons of bad reviews, but a bunch of people were like, you should have got it, it was awesome.

11. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You definately dont know what your getting just by looking at pics. In pics, WFC BB and SW looked really good to me, but in person, I thought they were alright. In pics and the reviews, I thought Drift and Scourge were alright looking, but in person, I thought they were amazing. Same goes for Wheeljack.

But to contribute to the thread, you would have probally have liked the set better if you had paid retail for it, like others said.

12. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, in this case, you are the one being the drama queen by addressing him in the first place.

EDIT: Sorry dude, read the post below. I revoke the above comments.

13. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Dude... I didn't say anything about you starting drama. I simply, and clearly said that I don't want any, and made it extremely general, bc it goes for anyone here dude. As for, "thinking I'm always right"... no, no one's infallible dude, but, there's a difference between posting facts, and posting here-say, and when I post fact, then yes, I remain pretty confident in what I say or post. :) 

Ummmm... if you don't know the difference between causing drama and having conversation without offense or being offended, then that's a personal prob.. Don't bring me into it with made up stuff.

Now this I actually agree on. Things like paint aps and the like definitely aren't given realistic justice by promo pics. I was speaking more in the useability sense though, but that's definitely a good point as well.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    TJ,

Just a quick question, don't mean this in a negative way. Were you ever in the Marines or some armed service?

15. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Yep. Now you get to say why you asked.

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    The reason I ask, is cause I have a bunch of friends that are in the marines and they think the same as you.

People not use to it take it one way, people use to talking to peeps in the marines are use to it. It's a take no shit type of attitude. It is very useful in armed services, but comes off harsh in other settings.

17. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    That's kinda' funny, bc my work is in customer service, and it's about as "take shit" as you can get. You need to differentiate someone not agreeing with YOU from someone thinking they're always right.

Son, I've been to college, gotten my degree, have a career, and am starting a family. Between the military where I literally was overseas after 9/11 fighting to live, and here where I've had to pretty much adjust back from a crazy scenario. Two seperate lives that I've lived and am living successfully, to hop on the computer, and be "judged" or "deduced" on a personal level from someone on a computer who's never met me in their life? Like... really? Are you joking?

You don't know me, and don't pretend to. Your posts for the most part come off condescending, negative, and pretty much just argumentative for the sake of it. In the "real world" it's ridiculousness like that that gets you overlooked and ignored by people who don't want to be bothered with bs, and simply given generic responses from those feeling sympathetic.

So, there you have it. This is where I tried to refrain from going with you in the first place, and I'll simply put you on ignore so that I don't have to bother seeing whatever essay is next.

18. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly.....this is just straight up stereotyping. It's the same thing as saying just because someone works in customer service, they are better at providing it. It's a generalization with no credible basis, because every individual and situation is unique. I grew up in a Marine family, and considered going to Officer school, and there are PLENTY of Marines and Armed Service members who are very adept at "switching it on and off" for dealing with service members and civilians. Some of the most intelligent, well-versed, cultured and sociable individuals I have ever met were "meathead Marines" who no one would have ever guessed were in the Armed Services because they were socially intelligent and could deal with anyone in any situation.

Just because someone is in a group, or affiliated with them or has a background does not equal "they all think the same". It might be your experience, but your experience is limited to those you've encountered. I'm done with my point on this before it delves even more off the original point the OP was trying to make and it derails into a topic not allowed by the forum rules since we've veered completely off the toy aspect in this thread.

And to the OP, I feel for ya, but you're able to get your money back if you're that disappointed. There's always someone looking to get those sets if you think you're better off with the Munitioner + Explorere stuff, check out the B/S/T threads and you won't be disappointed. You'll find a buyer and you'll be on your way to another item that is also an awesome 3rd party piece.

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm...not sure why any of that is relevant. I'm with TJ on this, and I'm not in the military myself.

Anyways, I like the Superion set...but FansProject blew their own set out of the water with the follow-up for Bruticus so the upgraded Superion looks a little odd compared to an upgraded Bruticus. Still, it does a lot to make that Energon combiner look passable, and an Energon/Classics Devastator upgrade more in line with Superion than Muntioner/Explorer is something I still hold out hope for, even if it's in vain.

20. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

I'd just like to say I like Superion w/ or w/o the FP extras. I just put the arms from Omega Prime on him and he's got all the articulation I need even if he IS wearing energon sandals.