My rant on holding items

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by swampflight, Dec 22, 2009.

1. swampflight

swampflight Banned

This is a problem thats been going on for awhile on the B/S/T threads and I wish it would stop:you want an item and you dont have the cash so you ask the seller to hold for you,the next thing you know the seller sells the item they promised to you and doesnt have the common courtesy to send a message to let you know why.I understand people are trying to make money or aquire items in trade but selling or trading an item that is promised to someone else without telling them makes that person a straight-up A**-Hole in my opinion because they dont think about things like what if the item being held was for an Xmas or B-Day gift?

2. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

So wadda ya want us to say?

There isn't much to discuss about here, is there...? I assume this just happened to you, and you're pissed and want to rant about it, but this isn't the most appropriate place for it..

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    This is much better than any sarcastic remark I can make about your punctuation and/or lack of space bar use.

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Well.... sellers get a lot of "can you hold this for me?" and the person just disappears. I wonder what the ratio is... 5-1? I can understand why the person sold it but he should have made an attempt to contact you.

5. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i agrree with this, as i have only purchased, not sold i cant say for sure, but i know for a fact that if my intentions are to purchase but don't have the cash, i will actually offer a deposit on the toy for the seller to hold until i finalize my purchase....

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

If you're serious about buying, put down a deposit. If you lack the funds to even do that you shouldn't be buying toys.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I mostly get "Can you send me a shipping quote for X,Y and Z to zip code 12345" then after I send the shipping quote, no response.

I've only had 1 board member ask me to hold something. They wanted it held for a month. I told them I could hold it for a week, to which I never heard back.

It's not my problem the buyer doesn't have the money. If you can't come up with the payment in a reasonable time (I say a week tops) then you really have no business asking a seller to hold items for you.

Now if the seller said he would hold it for you, then they should have told you someone else was interested and could pay for it now, that's just good business.

As a seller I've had customers do this and it works out very well.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  8. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I always have a LOT of requests for holding things, which normally I don't mind. Many of those times however I don't hear back from those folks on the day they say they'll have the money so I have to get ahold of them just to be told they either changed their mind long ago(thanks for telling me) or just never get a response back at all.

Both of those scenerios have usually led to me losing other potential buyers that were interested in the items that I was holding for those gracious enough to change their minds.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Umm... There are buyer/seller feedback threads. Go leave a comment there.

I'll say this though, I've asked people to hold items for me for two weeks, and they've done so. Once I asked people if I could pay in two payments, where the item would only get shipped after the second payment was sent. So, you can only do so much when the whole thing goes by an honor system. I keep to my word. Maybe they've just been burned in the past.

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I really think it's the only way to go. Agree on a deposit amount (10% is a good guideline) and a date by which the remainder of the money will be paid. If the buyer backs out, the deposit is forfeit. The seller then has some compensation for being messed around. If the buyer does pay the rest in the agreed time period, everyone's happy.
    Case in point. Wouldn't having 10% of the price make you feel a little better about having to find a new buyer? And do you think the people who let you down would have been so cavalier in their attitude if they'd known they'd lose money?

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you asked the seller to hold the item for a certain amount of time and they sold it during that period of time, yeah, that's kind of low. However, if you asked the seller to hold the item for a certain amount of time, and that time elapsed, the seller has no obligation to send a reminder message before they sell the item to someone else, IMO.

12. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I like this idea a lot! I'll definately be adding it in my sale thread once I update it.:thumbs2: 

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i've held a lot of figures for people, and generally it is a 5-1 ratio of who replies and who doesn't and 99% of how much is shipping for this questions after they are answered never reply back, and i charge exact shipping,

14. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It depends what the item is as well. If I am trying to sell an expensive item and the person who is interested has given me no reason to hold onto it (Like a deposit or payment date) I will sell it to the first person who will.

15. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this is the reason in my sales thread i clearly state no holds! you want it, buy it. i work too much nor have the time to waste remembering who wanted what weeks ago or trying to remember if it was bob or tom in line next if dan backed out. should charge a fee for just that BS.

16. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It does annoy me when I do find something I want and I see on hold. I have cash in hand ready to make the potential purchase and I see the item on hold for weeks. The seller could have had the cash much sooner rather than diddle dallying with the person they are holding the item for. If you did business with the other person before sure, thats fine. Hold it for him. But please. Take the item off your sales listing....

17. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Charging a hold fee won't do any good. They can still say yes to the charges and not buy the item. Then you lost out to potential buyers.

18. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i know, was more saying hypothetically.

19. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    You beat me to it. Bottom line should be "put up or shut up". Like Sledge said, if you don't have the money, you shouldn't be buying toys on credit or layaway anyway. Those of us with positive cash flow and want to buy something now shouldn't have to deal with "holds". It's either available or it's not. Sellers would be wise to enforce a deposit policy or risk delay of sales to those who are willing to pay for those who aren't.

20. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's not a problem, its just a situation with sellers getting tired of "buyers" asking for something to be put on hold until they can see if there is a better deal somewhere else.

Seems like you have done this to me in the past and never got back to me, in which case you have no leg to stand on.

EDIT: also, it is not the seller's responsibility to worry about who or why you are buying it for. I'm not sure where you are coming from, and I wonder if you don't quite grasp the logic involved. What assurance does the seller have that you will come through and purchase, and in the mean time you haven't contacted them and they have lost $$$?