Customs: My Pyro suffers from GPS! Any help?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by airfox, Oct 10, 2006.

1. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    First: my excuses if this is the wrong forum to post this, but I thought the kitbash and custom forum would be the best for my question.

I digged my Euro Pyro last sunday:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/alvarocarvajal/pyro1.jpg
    http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/alvarocarvajal/pyro2.jpg

And when I transformed it, the gold plastic waist broke.

I took the toy apart and used crazy glue to "repair" the waist. I waited for about 12 hours and then reassembled the toy ... but when I did I heard the waist piece breaking again.

Last night I picked the toy to see how bad it was and the waist broke again and his legs fell to the floor, breaking the waist even more.

I was wondering, anyone has suggestions on what can I do to repair it? Or my only option is finding a waist-donator? I bet finding a Pyro nowadays must be difficult. :( 

Hmm... probably the Hartmans had a Pyro at the convention. If only I knew beforehand that mine was about to break. :cry 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-airfox

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Can you take a pic of how it broke?

Depending on how it broke, I would suggest drilling a hole into each broken part and inserting a pin, along with gluing it. I don't have the toy, so I'm not sure if that's possible.

3. airfox

News Credits:
    I'll try to take pics tonight.

It's broken in several pieces. Originally, the waist has 2 pieces (front and back) held by a screw. Once assembled, part of the waist goes into the torso piece and it allows the waist to be rotated 360 degress.

The first part that got broken - and the most important - is the piece that goes into the torso.

The second part that got broken is the upper left (or right) part of the back piece of the waist.

Also, the part that holds the screw was also broken.

I'll think about the pin and glue solution. Thanks.

-airfox

4. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So basically, the waist is the part that broke, and it's hollow and made of two parts?

If possible, I would fill each half flush with epoxy or JB weld (anything that will dry and be drillable), let it dry, and then you will have plenty of surfaces to drill and pin, or just fill the whole part with whatever you are using and seal it shut before it dries. That way, you will have a nice solid chunk to work with.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I bet it's that crappy brown plastic that is notorious for just desintigrating for no good reason. You can repair it all you want, but it will just continue to fall apart until you have a pile of glue with brown dust in it.

6. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I had this happen to his weapon... I had Pyro in vehicle mode with the weapon on top in its hole... when I went to remove the weapon one day it snapped in my hand leaving the post in the hole. I didnt think it was really in there all that tight, but I guess it was tight enough.

Also had the same thing happen to my G2 Slingshot... just crumbled in my hand and the more I tried to fix it, the more it fell apart.

Stupid GPS...

7. airfox

News Credits:
    So, I guess the only option is a waist donor. :( 

I'm trying to fix it without using more glue (unless I absolutely have to), and trying to leave it able to transform... don't know the outcome, but I bet it won't look pretty.

-airfox

8. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Any chance of you being able to cast a new part or two? They do sell kits for single casts, and from what I've heard, it isn't super hard to do.

It sounds like finding a doner part would be expensive, and even if you do find one, it may be made of crappy plastic too.

EDIT: Another thing you could try is strips of styrene, cemented inside the broken part to strengthen it.

9. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

lol I thought this was about ML Pyro until I read that he transforms and then was confused for a moment until I remembered this TF figure with the same name (stupid cross-over names). I was just about to offer up my extra ML Pyro. Good luck with this Pyro!

10. TFmaster

TFmaster Lord of the Scalple

Truth is your screwed. Gold plastic, specially on older molds, are known for just crumbling apart with age.

I recently bought one of the G2 Laser cars, the gold one in fact, and it just crubmled apart on me at the knee.

There is no real fix for this. I tried glue, I tried everything but it doesn't go back together.

Best bet is to find a donator part but odds are after awhile that will crumble apart too.

Try to find someone that does reproduced parts and has that extra peice. Have it casted in normal colors and then paint it to match the gold on the toy. It's really your only option.

I know it sucks but next time you'll know better then to buy Older toys (Even newer ones. People with Lucky Draws toys are ganna be pissed 10 years from now) with gold parts casted into plastic. I know I have...

TFM

11. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

My Pyro is still in a box somewhere in the attic,waiting to be fixed.Waist don't come easy.The way it easily disintegrates really pissed me

Perhaps I shall try epoxies & stuffs.But I'm not sure how to place the gears that are fixed in it

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This thread is FOUR YEARS OLD.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    At least his post was on topic. Would he have been scolded for starting a new thread when one already existed?