My PS3 is dead, can i pick your mind?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by electron, Jun 16, 2010.

1. electron

electron Well-Known Member

Hey guys like the title suggests my PS3 has just died on me

its a 2 year old 40 gb, ps3 so well out of its warrenty

basically what happened is the game froze, and then i waited for it to kick back in, but herd a crack noise, and now it just doesnt read any type of disk

so the ps3 switches on and off but i can search the net lol

i asked some dude at gamestation and he says i mite just need to switch the cd drive thing, does anyone know of how i go around to do this? or has this happened to anyone here?

thanks in advance

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    call sony and see how much a repair would be.

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    You are looking at a minimum of 60-80 dollars excluding shipping to have Sony look at it.

A Drive could be had in a junker for under 100 but unless you are tech savvy don't try it.

4. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Could always just upgrade to a Slim too.

5. cuters

cuters Diabolist

yup do it

6. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

That would be my suggestion. Definitely sounds like the Blu-Ray drive broke and you can get a new slim for not much more then it would cost to repair it. Backup your saves and such to a thumb-drive and upgrade to a slim.

7. cwbest78

cwbest78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    this just happened to me and I finished fixing it today. it only cost me $45. if you go through sony and are out-of-warranty, they will charge you $150. I guess you could buy the new slim (min $300), but why? Plus you'll probably wish you'd waited a little longer and got the 500gb version. I was considering doing that, but I figured I'd go the cheaper route first. Because, well, I'm cheap.

try the file system restore first. I heard it was able to recover some people's console. with the ps3 in standby, hold down the power button (ps3 will turn on and then turn off). release the power button. hold down the power button again, wait for the ps3 to turn on, wait for the 2 beeps and quickly release the power button. it will ask you to plug in your controller via usb. select option 3 (file system restore). selecting any other option will erase data so beware.

if this doesn't work, time to take your ps3 apart. not hard actually. hardest part is the security screw under the warranty sticker. you can find various tutorials on the web. message me if you need help.

next step is to get to the drive and clean the lens. some people got it working just by doing this. if that doesn't work, verify if the laser(s) are working with the proper cables plugged in. don't look directly into the light. I'm not responsible if you lose depth perception because you like shiny things.

if there is no light activity, then it's time to look into getting a replacement laser and/or laser with deck. make sure you note the correct model of your laser. it's etched on the drive and there should be a sticker with the model. i.e. kem-410aca, kes-400aaa, etc

I ordered mine from this guy on ebay (gadgetresurrection). awesome service. got my item in 3 days. He's in FL and I'm in CA. the drive ended up being quieter and the whole process was pretty easy. the laser and laser/decks range from 39-45 depending on the model and if you get it with a deck. free shipping.

If I had sent it to sony I would have been out an additional $100 and would probably have taken them 2-6 weeks to send me a refurbished unit. let me know if you need help.

8. electron

electron Well-Known Member

thanks everyone for your advice, and especially to cwbest78

i will look into repairing it first, upgrade is an option, but like most people moneys the option atm

9. cwbest78

cwbest78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    just FYI, the drive will not spin if the laser isn't working. people question if it's the spinning mechanism or laser. unfortunately, you'll have to rule out the laser first. but it's usually the laser anyways. good luck.

10. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My PS3 stopped reading Discs yesterday I plan on sending mine to Sony to fix. Only because mine is a launch 60gb that has BC so I want to make sure they fix my console. Yours on the other hand I would try to get it to boot up long enough to make a backup of the hard drive and then upgrade to a Slim model.

Good Luck

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey Trail, if I run the BACKUP option on my PS3 to a portable HD, will it zap my existing stuff? In other words, can I just back it up to be safe, even if I don't plan on swaping out Hard Drives yet?

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, I did this with my 1 tera drive. Now it will backup everything your pictures, videos, themes, saves, data files, demo's. I recommend doing it this way so you don't missing anything plus some the the saved data is copy protected. Nothing gets removed just copied.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks man. I need to do this today. I hope it works with my portable HD.