My PS3 got the yellow light of death today (8/21)

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Mobb One, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

1. i pre-ordered FOC in October at the NyCC

2. My PS3 had a freezing/stalling issue when playing blu ray discs. Had it sent in for repair in March for $150

3. I received it 2 weeks later and didn't really use it that much due to work and other things. But it was working.

4. Picked up my FOC earlier today. Just put the disc in an hour ago. Tried to redeem one of the gamestop pre-order codes. As soon as i try to enter the last character, screen goes dark.

5. Lights flash, 3 beeps, yellow light, flashing red.

aggravation: high
    frustration: immense
    sony: incompetent
    patience: exhausted
    sadness: supreme

2. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 Filipinooooooooooooo

News Credits:
    Dude that happened to me before. I was fucking pissed when I got the yelllow light

3. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Sony: Incompetent

Not true, but whatever makes you feel better. At least it's just a software issue rather than an unstable lead composite causing the problem.

4. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

I'm So Sorry to hear that :(  was it on the Original PS3 or the Slim?

5. andr0s81

andr0s81 Member

I had this happen to my PS3 not too long ago as well. It happened right after the massive storm hit Virginia and my area was without power for over a week in the 100+ weather. When the power got restored, the air conditioner went out (fuses blew) and the PS3 got the lights.

I was able to fix it temporarily by reflowing the motherboard, but the first time it only lasted a week before doing it again.

You can get about 80ish on ebay for a YLOD PS3 if it's the original 60 gig model since those are still somewhat sought after. If you want to try the reflow there's some pretty good videos on youtube of how to take it apart and reflow. Just remember to keep track of all the screws.

And you'll need a heat gun, a hairdryer will not work.