My PS3... Busted...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by dak, Apr 4, 2008.

1. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    My PS3... Busted... (Update: Found out the problem, gettin it fixed)

So a while back I had updated my PS3 with Firmware v2.17. After a few hours, the game I was playing stopped playing music, and became very jerky. I reset the system and tried again, only to find out my PS3 would not read any 'disc Media" anymore. I decided to wait till firmware v2.2 and see if it would fix the problem. I believe now v2.17 burnt out my Optical Drive. and it's only 3 months old!

Anyone else encounter this issue?

BTW, 40 GB PS3 recieved as an X-mas present from my GF.... THis sucks BAlllls

UPDATE:

My GF had an hour long talk with Sony about it and they finally admitted to the problem! Apparently Firmware 2.17 had some big changes in the Blu-ray drive, and on certain PS3's with a certain drive number, the optical drive gets confused and burns out the laser motor. So now they will fix my system in warranty, and repairs begin on monday. Now I will finally be able to finish my games and start GTA IV!!!

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Did you spill super glue on it?

3. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how the firmware could have burned out your optical drive. First I've heard of this problem as well. I would call SONY ASAP since it's still under warranty. Did you try completely removing it from power and then plugging it back in and restarting it?

4. dak

News Credits:
    hahah, no super glue. lol. I have called Sony, but they won't accept the warranty cause my GF got it off ebay, even tho it was new. Now they want to charge us $190 CDN to replace it.

Yea, I've done everything, even formatting the whole system

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

that sucks that they wont accept the warranty...hope you get it all fixed in the end (without having to play a chunk of change)

6. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

That's bullshit man....I'd bitch until they fix it right, because if you bought it brand new then they have no right to refuse you service while it's still in warranty. Threaten to call the Canadian equivalent of the Better Business Bureau, if it isn't just the BBB.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Blue Meanie had trouble getting Sony to fix his PS3 too. Sounds like Sony is a hassle to deal with.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, sony demands a receipt and a box to touch the system.

I would suggest just not telling them you got it off ebay, and that the person who gave you the system as a gift just doesnt have the receipt any more.

If you've got the box, you may be able to convince them to fix it without a receipt.

as for if it's still under warranty or not, you give them the serial number, they run it, see when it was purchased and from where, and then they can tell you if the warranty is still in effect. if it is, DO NOT let them tell you they won't fix it. report them to the Better Business Bureau if you have to.

www.bbb.org

9. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Valkysas is right about the BBB part,the rest not so much.

I bought a PS2 years ago for my cousin's birthday and two days later the machine caught fire due to some bad wiring/connections inside.
    Because the fire department had opened the machine to see the fault Sony thru the invalidated warrenty in my face.

It took calling a few stores like Toysrus/Kmart and bbb before Sony called offering to replace the system.

And that was a $250 system,can only imagine the crap you'd have to go thru now for their junk.

10. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    That's bullshit. System open or not that's a safety escalation and Sony should have replaced it right away. Sounds like you got a shitty support agent; if you get nowhere, disconnect and call again. Whenever a product catches on fire and you're calling in; ask them about safety procedures.

For this though, I can see where Sony is coming from. A system purchased online could easily have been modded and that's why most companies don't support warranty coverage when it's purchased through ebay or other online non official resellers.

11. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Another reason can be due to regions. If Sony is selling the thing for 50 bucks less in country B when you're in country A so you save money buying from country B over ebay, they don't want to support you. It's not just Sony, a LOT of companies do that. Ebay just doesn't qualify as a standard retail sales channel for a lot of things, and I'd never expect it to if anything happened to anything I buy from there.

12. dak

News Credits:
    The big thing that sucks about this is my GF got a god deal on it, still a lot of money, and with this stupid charge, she could have purchaced an 80GB in the first place. There has got to be a way they can tell if it's still in warranty or not. Screws are still in their place, not turned, HDD door has never been opened or changed for a new HDD, no scratches, it's pretty much MINT.

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Do yourself a favor.. go buy a 360. If it breaks, they will replace it!

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The catch is the receipt. Without it, Sony or ANY company has no way to prove it was purchased legitimately. Therefore they have zero obligation to help you out. As far as they know, you could've have purchased it broken for $50, stolen it or obtained it a hundred different ways other than purchasing it.

15. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

While that may be a problem, it should be no reason for them to refuse warranty service. I'm sure they can tell when the system was produced by the serial number, and if it's within the 90 days or one year or whatever the warranty is they should fix it for free if the damage to it is caused by manufacturing defect. Granted, legally they probably do not have to, but it's just good business practice, even if every now and again they end up fixing a system for free that they probably shouldn't have.

16. dak

News Credits:
    heh, If I wasn't a 360 hater, I'd totally do that. i don't really like the x-Box, I don't like how i got to pay so much more in order to get what I need. (wireless, HD movies, Online gaming) AND even tho there are some great 3rd party, multiplatform games out there, I do still love VERY much my Playstation Exclusive games. (Gran Turismo, God of War, Twisted Metal...) That's my main reason for staying with Sony, plus, I've been with sony since their first system.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fixed

Yup, so true. Also true is the fact that MS will replace it because they know the fugged up their systems in order to get them out before everyone. Seriously, no one can throw stones here.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Speaking of 360s, you wanna play Streets of Rage or something?

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Right now?
    edit: lemme log on.

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i had a PS1 that broke down and i was pissed that i had to pay 70 usd to get it fixed. But it worked out okay- a few years later, i managed to obtain back-up ps1s from yard sales.
    still, ever since that repair bill, i hate dealing with Customer Service for repairs/replacements. just seemed a ripoff to me.