My Project: Collect/Convert G1 Legends from '84-'86

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by G1 Milo, Sep 28, 2012.

1. G1 Milo

G1 Milo Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So, my goal is to collect or convert as many G1 homage Legends-sized figure as possible. Ultimately, I'm trying to match as much as I can of the 1985 Autobot/Decepticon and 1986 Autobot/Decepticon catalogues. These were the years as a kid that I was most into Transformers -- they were a huge part of my childhood.

Why Legends size? Well, three reasons, really:

1) I've always loved small, miniaturized toys;
    2) I'm moving overseas to Switzerland in two months, which means I'll have a smaller apartment and much less storage space; and
    3) with the release of the new RTS Legends/Asia Exclusive Legends, there's finally enough of a critical mass of these that it's just a matter of filling in the gaps.

So, here's my status of what I have and what I'm planning to do or trying to find. Let's start with 1984:

---

Autobot Minicars

Brawn: Universe Legends Brawn with Reprolabels
    Bumblebee: RTS Bumblebee
    Huffer: iGear MW-02 Rager (needed)
    Cliffjumper: Henkei Cliffjumper (needed)
    Windcharger: TFP CV Legions Bumblebee, repainted (planned)
    Gears: ???

Autobot Cars

Wheeljack: TFP CV Legions Wheeljack
    Trailbreaker: RTS Trailcutter with Reprolabels
    Ironhide: TFP CV Commander Ironhide
    Ratchet: TFP CV Legions Ratchet
    Hound: Universe Legends Hound with Reprolabels
    Mirage: Conversion/repaint from Energon Legends Galvatron
    Sunstreaker: ???
    Jazz: Universe Legends Jazz with Reprolabels
    Sideswipe: ???
    Bluestreak: Asia Exclusive Silverstreak
    Prowl: RTS Prowl with Reprolabels

Autobot Commander

Optimus Prime: RTS Prime, naturally, with Reprolabels (and WST Optimus' blaster and trailer)

Decepticon Planes

Skywarp: Dollar General Starscream, manually repainted (planned)
    Starscream: Dollar General Starscream, with headswap from RTS Starscream and Reprolabels
    Thundercracker: Asian Exclusive release Thundercracker

Decepticon Communicator and cassettes

Soundwave: WST Soundwave (needed)
    Ravage: Universe Ravage with Reprolabels (from Hound set)

Decepticon Leader

Megatron: RTS Megatron with Reprolabels

---

So there are three of them I'm still trying to track down, and five that I suspect I need to convert (one, Mirage, in progress). I have to admit that I'm totally stumped on Gears. Does anyone have any suggestions on this one? Maybe, maybe a repainted 2007 movie legends Ironhide?

I think TFP Legions Bumblebee will make a very good Windcharger, with only some minor conversion necessary to replace the head, and some red paint. Consider: [​IMG][​IMG]
    Both have the same "hood/grille becomes the chest" robot mode, and similar looking vehicle modes.

I've got some ideas for the Lamborghini twins, but I'd be really interested in hearing what other people think. The toys I'm considering converting are:

1) TFP Legions Knockout -> Sideswipe -- this would mimic the hood/chest design of G1 Sideswipe, and wouldn't be a hard repaint
    2) Energon Legends Bumblebee -> Sunstreaker -- this looks a lot like G1 Sunstreaker, especially if you add some silver to the engine block behind the compartment, and isn't bad in robot mode. Hard to come by, though.
    3) DOTM Cyberverse Mirage -> Sideswipe/Sunstreaker -- the paint is more Sideswipe, but the uncovered engine block on the back seems more Sunstreaker. I could add a spoiler, paint it yellow, and I think it'd be close to Sunstreaker in vehicle mode. The Robot mode doesn't particularly homage either.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Any other ideas? I've thought about using other sports car Legends (Soundwave, for instance) -- since it won't be possible to do a straight Lamborghini, but a sufficiently sleek and dangerous looking sports car would suit the characters, still.

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Hey man that's some really cool stuff! Best of luck in your journey!

3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My only thoughts on Gears would be a repainted TFP CV Commander Ironhide. But maybe you're not wanting to use the same mold twice.

Personally I like CV Knock Out for Sideswipe more than DOTM CV Mirage. It's a proportion thing. Mirage's chest is too big for his legs, whereas Knock Out is nicely proportioned all around.

For Sunstreaker, have you considered an Armada Sparkplug? That has a similar transformation, if I recall (car front end becomes the feet, at least) and it actually is a Lamborghini. But then it would also be the oldest figure there.

Chuckled at the fact your Ravage is going to dwarf your Soundwave. WST Soundwave comes with a Ravage, no?

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Yeah, if you're going to use that Soundwave (who you know is going to be tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny, right? Easily the smallest in your collection) then you definitely can't use Universe Ravage.

You should also consider Titanium Laserbeak, by the by.

What about using one of the G2 Gobot/RiD Spychanger repaints as Sideswipe at the very least? Similarly, Gears could be G2 Motormouth: Motormouth - Transformers Wiki

5. G1 Milo

Ebay:
    I'd prefer not to, unless the two were originally repaints of each other to start with. I'm starting to think I might do the 2007 Movie Ironhide, and paint the body blue but the weapons (which sit in the truck bed in vehicle mode) red, to mimic the stuff in Gears' truck bed.

I tend to agree with you. Mirage is all chest and arms on spindly little legs. Looks great in car mode, though.

I actually do have one of those lying around. It'll be a little smaller than the rest, though, but you're right -- clearly the best fit in both modes. His robot mode even has the compartment on the chest and hood for the feet, like Sunstreaker.

It does, you're right -- but it's so teeny tiny fiddly. Honestly, if I could find a better option for Soundwave, I'd take it. I'm tempted to get my hands on the satellite version of Soundwave from the movie, and then transplant the more G1 head from the Cybertron Legends bomber plane Soundwave.

6. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Yeah, DotM 3-pack Soundwave wouldn't look all that out of place, honestly. Love that little figure.

7. G1 Milo

Ebay:
    Again, I wish I had better options for Soundwave. There just aren't any, really, that reflect the G1 character at all. That is an awesome Laserbeak. I must have one. Thanks for the tip!

I'm just really trying to avoid the Spychangers as much as possible. They're so blocky and... ugh. They're passable Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars, but some of them don't even have arms that reach past their chests, and the legs are almost universally a solid block that just extends from the midsection.

I actually am going to use the Spychanger RID Optimus (and yellow RID Optimus) for Inferno and Grapple, but only because there's nothing else that really looks like a fire truck or crane at all -- and both of them will need some customization, because the toy sucks.

8. snaketales

snaketales Active Member

9. G1 Milo

Ebay:
    I do really like that Sideswipe. You did a beautiful job on the paint. I'm not sure I like the gap down the middle where the spoiler was, and Sideswipe did have a spoiler, but you've definitely given me another idea. Thanks! That was exactly why I decided to post this.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Take some photos of your collection so far! Take more photos when you add some too! :) 

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Just FYI, "Asia exclusive Silverstreak" is actually named "Bluestreak". :) 

12. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

For Sideswipe I took that Smokescreen repaint of Rodimus, stripped him down, and Sideswipe paintschemed him. Turned out nice. Also leaves a nice Tigertrack opportunity out of that yellow Rodimus from the DOTM three pack.

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For Mirage, there's some RID era Spychangers that would probably work well. Hell, there's probably a bunch of molds from that line that could be of use.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    :bay 

15. G1 Milo

Ebay:
    @Orodruin: I'm really trying to avoid Spychangers if at all possible, for reasons I've already mentioned.