My Problem with Optimus in ROTF

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by G1 Prowl, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think the scene could have really used Ratchet.

Have Ratchet try to patch up the Decepticon, the Decepticon gets his plot point out, dies, and then Ratchet says something like "sorry Prime he was too far gone".

We get the big fight, a plot point gets thrown out, and the Autobots get to look like the good guys. Given Ratchet is such a horrible doctor that he must use robo-leeches or something you could believe something in Ratchet's care died.

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Nah...A better scene (if you want) would be Prime moving in to interrogate him and he tries to kill Prime with some built in weapon of some sort. Ironhide, the trigger happy bot then shoots him in the head. Enter "punk Decepticon" line. And there people are happy (I think).

And about the Decepticons changing sides, well some of them were kept in line out of pure fear of Megatron, with the news of him dead, some might say, "screw it, I´m leaving" and join the Autobots.

3. Ash from Carolina

That would also work since it would have given us bit more of Ironhide this time and I think it's something fans would talk about as cool scene when Ironhide saved Primes butt from an underhanded Decepticon. Autobots look heroic, Decepticons look evil, and a cool visual all around.

Ironhide's "punk Decepticon" would even work well there because it would sound like he's disgusted with how the Decepticons don't have any honorable rules of war.

4. Khan-Gar

Khan-Gar Banned

Well, at least its not another "Oh, Demolishor was innocent" pile a crap.

I personally thought the scene could possibly have gone another way, but I think people will live.

And why's everybody beating around the bush? Ironhide said

Punkass Decepticon.

5. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    We could rewrite the Demolisher execution scene any no. of ways, heck, we could rewrite the whole movie any no. of ways to make more sense, but as it stands, Bay & Co. obviously wanted Optimus to dominate every scene he was in (for understandable reasons), hence he, unsurprisingly, was the one to execute Demolisher.

We can only hope that come TF3, we may get more characterisation and screentime with some other Autobots (and Decepticons). :rolleyes2  Yeah right.

But still, i don't think most of us are complaining that we got to see so much Optimus Prime face-ripping awesomeness! Only that there wasn't more substance and sense to ROTF.

That raises a good question about the Autobots' presence on Earth: how necessary is it for them to remain there? How keen are they generally to stay on Earth? Some of 'em might prefer to leave (as Ratchet suggested after Prime's death). I can imagine many of the Autobots having previously wandered across the galaxy before arriving on Earth, never being able to settle anywhere for long; they must be pretty tired of jumping about the universe with no permanent place to call home. This might be one reason motivating the Autobots to stay as long as they can on Earth (as well as helping and protecting the locals from their enemies); they're just weary of travelling about so much and would like a planet to settle into, and Earth seems to be a potential new home since they have being welcomed by the local humans.

Yes, the Autobots are not typical refugees. They're supposed to be working in cooperation with the U.S. military, a beneficial partnership for both parties; the Autobots get help from the human military in fighting their Decepticon enemies and are allowed asylum on Earth and the U.S. military gain the necessary aid of the Autobots in fighting off their common hostile enemy. But still I don't think Optimus, understandably, would want to seek to impose his and the Autobots' terms upon the human government; Earth is the humans' home planet and he and the Autobots are foreigners to it. Optimus and his Autobots are not stuck on Earth by necessity, true, but they are compelled to do so in order to combat their enemies and protect the humans from them. So if the Autobots wish to remain on Earth, they need to cooperate with the human residents and abide by their laws and rules, otherwise their presence would possibly be taken as invasive and unwelcome. It's a delicate diplomatic situation. Optimus is doing the right thing in regards to dealing with the humans, imo. He can negotiate with them, sure, but he cannot cross the line in forcing anything.

It seems in the movies that the Autobots and Decepticons rarely take prisoners. One wonders whether this could be an indication of their different alien mentality to war or the result of such prolonged and bitter centuries-long fighting.

Maybe the humans should really start looking into developing some kind of 'neural inhibitors' so that they don't have to kill every single Decepticon they encounter. Oh wait, that could work against the Autobots too...

I just had this humorous image in my head of Optimus interrogating Demolisher...

Optimus: Start talking, Decepticon. Who is 'The Fallen'?
    Demolisher: ...
    Optimus: *Raises rifle* You have 10 astro-seconds to respond before i...
    Ratchet: Err, Prime?
    Optimus: Not now, Ratchet.
    Ratchet: Prime, he can't speak. You blew off his face earlier remember?
    Optimus: Oh yeah...

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

:peoples: 

Somehow I don't think the Autobots would (and should) care enough about a Decepticon to feel "sorry" about it dieing >_>

7. Irony

Irony fangirl

Well, that was a bad idea from Prime. Not his first mistake, however.

8. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    :lolol  that some funny sh*t

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    That's not the beef that myself and others have with Prime. We don't mind him killing Decepticons at all. The issue here is the way he goes about doing it.

In TFTM, Prime took out all those Decepticons very quickly, and in an extremely dispassionate and surgical fashion. You could say that none of them suffered much. Same goes for how he killed Bonecrusher in the 2007 film. Totally businesslike. Just a job that had to be done and nothing more.

In ROTF, we have him spouting thuggish lines and taking out the Cons in messy, almost sadistic ways. Most of us would like to think that Prime would be noble enough to grant an enemy a clean, relatively painless death, no matter how despicable that enemy was.

10. Ash from Carolina

I know this is an insane concept but a billion years ago when I was a kid we had something called "good guys" and "bad guys". The "bad guys" did bad things that weren't playing by the rules that was how you knew they were the "bad guys". The "good guys" played by a set of rules and never did what the "bad guys" did even when they were tempted to do it or no one was there to stop them.

Hollywood somewhere down the road totally forgot this whole concept of "good guys" and "bad guys" so everyone acts the same with no rules or honor so the only way to know "good guy" from "bad guy" is what nation or faction they represent.

No more we don't do that because we are the brave, honorable Autobots it's now we do the exact same shit the Decepticons do except we don't kill humans so that makes us the "good guys".

11. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

^^^

:peoples: 

And that, kids, is what happens when you take something WAY too seriously.

I'm familiar with the concept of "good guys" and "bad guys".. I grew up with the old Turtles cartoon :lol 

:redface2: 

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope that in TF3 we get to see Autobots torturing a helpless Decepticon hatchling for "information."

Not that I'm looking forward for that scene, I wouldn't care at all about it happening, what I want to see is the kind of threads we'll get.

13. G1 Prowl

G1 Prowl Member

It would have made a difference to me. Even a couple throw-in lines would have been enough to satisfy me. IMHO Prime just comes across as too Arhnold / Stallone-ish firing off the one liner.