My Premium Movie Leader Optimus Prime Video Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Reviews' started by xSEANxLONGx, Apr 1, 2008.

1. xSEANxLONGx

xSEANxLONGx Big Kid

News Credits:
    I compare the Premium Movie Leader Optimus Prime to the Original Movie Leader Optimus Prime and show the box, features, and new head.

Here's the video code.
    HTML:
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JrjdIBeGbec&hl=en&autoplay=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JrjdIBeGbec&hl=en&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Now that I've gotten a better look at it, that new head really doesn't look as good as the original's does. I'll definitely get one to keep MISB, though. I'll just have to find one of those sword weapons on eBay for my standard Leader Prime.
    Great review, too.

3. xSEANxLONGx

xSEANxLONGx Big Kid

News Credits:
    I like the head and I definitely would get another one to keep MISB

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS!

4. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review. It was the most informative on this figure yet. I have the original and want to get this Premium version. I'm going to put one in robot form and the other in vehicle form, but I'm having a hard time deciding which to put in which form. Which do you recommend for each form?

5. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I like the new Prime a lot. But the new head somehow makes me get associations to a cat.

Great review !

6. bumblebee79

bumblebee79 Well-Known Member

Great Review :thumb 

These figures are really impressive. Its amazing when you think back to what they first were way back in the day. Now my son wont have to make the transforming noise like I did when I was a kid cause these new kick butt figures do it. Thanks for the Review.

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    When I get him he'll be chilling on the shelf with Regular and Nightwatch Prime's too. Its like a me, myself and I party. Thanks for the informative review dawg, here's hoping I find one soon X_X
    DN

8. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    got one myself yesterday and touched up all the details, very awesome with the transformation sound.

9. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I found 4 each of Premium Prime and Premium Megs tonight. I wasn't planning to ever buy Bugs Bunny Prime or Munky Face Megatron, but when I saw them in person I couldn't resist. They were just so freaking awesome looking...

So basically what I'm saying is that the store now only has 3 of each left. ;) 

Initially they had some trouble ringing me up, because the figures were on the shelf but not in the system... the cashier called for her manager, and I offered that these were newer figures, but there were some older ones that might scan...so they fetched a generic Leader SKU to scan, and all was well.

I never planned to buy these two, but after seeing them in person, I was in love. Thankfully, I hadn't bought either of them already (I don't count nightwatch prime) so Premium is "New to Me!"

The silver on megs is gorgeous and makes him look really movie-authentic -- much moreso than the baby blue on the original release. Prime just looks badass, with the new silver paint apps, and (as much as I hate to admit it) the new head sculpt. I felt the differences were enough that I could display him next to Onslaught/Ultra Magnus/Nightwatch Prime and not feel like I'd purchased the same figure twice...THIS is how you do it, Hasbro! Just a TINY little mold change makes all the difference in the world!

Oh, and also, something I was NOT prepared for...when you press the chestpieces, they don't go VHRRRRPEWPEWPEW! anymore -- they make the original G1 transformer noise instead! THAT ALONE is reason enough to buy Premium Megs or Optimus if you haven't got them already!

10. xSEANxLONGx

xSEANxLONGx Big Kid

News Credits:
    EXACTLY! The transformation sound sold me! I love the new look of Prime. If I didn't get my Movie Leader Megatron repainted to look like he did in the movie I would grab Premium Megatron. I have my Premium Leader Prime displayed in Robot mode and my Movie Leader Prime in truck mode so now I have both GORGEOUS modes displayed! THANKS AGAIN for the feedback!

11. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Like I said, got mine a few days ago....now some pic pimping.

Just cant resist and had to touch up the toy...:p 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Irrelevant pic thrown in...:D 
    Premium Prime with my repainted Megatron
    [​IMG]

12. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yeah, I got mine yesterday from BBTS.

I switched a few parts w/ original Prime and painted the upper legs like the original. I rather like it. I just wish the damn ears would swivel or something so they could be stored properly in alt mode. Would that have really been too hard??? Otherwise I like him just fine.

13. Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest Well-Known Member

Could anyone please upload clear pictures of the Premium Prime, in robot and alt-mode ? Of course without any repainting or re-tooling.
    It would be nice to see the real toy cleary especially with the new pictures of the TakaraTomy version popping up.
    Thanks.

Tris

Oktoberfest

14. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Something I don't know that has been touched upon yet (as mentioned by c717905) is that the pointy ears are too tall for the truck mode, so the little rectangular flap that normally goes over prime's head in truck mode is now a T-shaped piece of plastic, in order to accommodate the ears poking out of the top of the cab. Once you notice it, it's kinda hard to get over.

I wasn't a fan of the Bunny-ears, but I started looking at more images on the net, and I realized that the new resculpted head really is closer to the actual movie renders, but not identical to the head used in the actual film.

Start looking carefully, and it gets weird -- There appear to be two different heads out there: the bunny-ear look featured on many renders and promotional stuff, including the Japanese bust, and the head used in the film and the original prime sculpt, which looks more like the Helmet and "beamer" toys.

Each head has its own pros and cons -- personally, I still prefer the old head, since it looks closer to my own subconscious Prime ideal, and the top of the Truck cab isn't broken up by it... I'm seriously considering picking up a loose Original release Leader Prime just so I can mix and match the best parts from both releases: New body, new sword, new sound chip, old head...

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I really have a hard time accepting the fact that the voyager prime mold has a 100% movie accurate head sculpt, and both leader prime heads fall so damn short of it.

Maybe if they were made out of a bunch of different pieces like the voyager head, they'd be better.

16. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    comparison pics with the original please!!!!!

17. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:

18. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For those who have both, does the sword fit into regular Prime and vice versa dose the gun fit into premiusm Prime? The gun fits loosely on my premium and the sword does not if at all to the regular Prime. It seems they made the peg on premium Prime smaller.

19. xSEANxLONGx

xSEANxLONGx Big Kid

News Credits:
    I got upgrade stickers from www.reprolabels.com for my Premium and Movie Leader Primes.

Here's how they look now...

20. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobot

Ebay:
    Hey xSEANxLONGx,

Thanks for the review. How long did it take from when you placed your order with Reprolabels to when you received it? It's been about a week now from when I ordered, but I have no idea how long it's supposed to be.

BTW, do you think Prime's chest logo can fit on the forward facing surface of his "automorph" lever. That's where it is on him in the movie.

Thanks,
    Savio-Prime.