My poor cat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smkspy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

So one of my cats, Baby is suffering from Saddle Thrombus(an appropiate name given her sickness).

Taken from Petplace.com
    She has been incapacitated for nearly a week. My vet gave me Steriods that she has been taking, and I've got her on baby aspirin to thin her blood. So I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had a cat suffer from this and recover. If so what did you do for/give them to help them recover?

Thanks for any info and experiences.

This is baby
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Put up a sig, you'll get a load of donations for the medical bills.

TFW freakin' loves cats.

3. smkspy

Thanks Jux

I might do that. I was considering surgery since the steroids don't appear to be working, but its likely to very costly since I'd have to go through the LSU Vet school.

4. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I just lost a cat to that recently. 13 years old! :( 

I wish your kitty the best!!

5. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

It blows when pets get sick. My dog got cancer and died at 15, my other dog got cancer and died at 13, my mom's cat got feline diabetes and died at 11.....ugh, the list goes on forever. After so many times, I still don't get used to it.

Hope your kitty recovers. Looks so sweet.

6. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm really sorry to hear about your cat my roommates and I just had to let the house cat "Vader" go to green pastures.

He had something and the doctors couldn't figure out what but we think he got into something in the basement. Our house is very old and he kept finding a way into the basement even thou we always made sure we kept he door closed and him nowhere near it before he went down, But some days he'd just be down there hanging out. And the only way we knew he was down there is when passing the door he would swipe at our feet and scare the crap out of us.

God I miss that cat. I hope your cat recovers fully and quickly.

7. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    That is a beautiful cat. I hope she gets better soon. Good luck.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish you and your kitty the best of luck and hope she gets well soon.

9. smkspy

Thanks guys and gals...I'm at loss for what to do right now. So far she seems not to be getting back any feeling in her legs, but she doesn't appear to be in pain and seems completely normal. Other than my having to stimulate her bladder for her and her not being able to walk she is fine.

I just wonder how long can I keep this up. I don't want her to suffer, but I also want to give her can chance to heal if that is possible. In a sick way I wish the choice to just put her down was an easy one.

10. Sideways

Sideways Banned

hope everything goes well for you..

she's adorable.

11. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that. The prognosis is guarded to poor. From what I heard, most treatments aren't that helpful but there are some cats that recovered from it. It's worth a try. Trying is always better than nothing. Best of luck.

12. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Well played.

Good luck on the cat. I love me some cats, and I hate when they get sick or worse.

13. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Sorry to hear about your cat,as for her chances of recovery it would have to do with her health and age.Hope she gets better.

About her not showing any signs of pain,a cat can be near death and not show it(had a cat sleeping in the car engine once get her belly ripped open and she'd showed no sign of being in pain,left a big scar though).

Really though when getting a pet one should look into getting some kind of medical Insurance.

14. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Speaking of cats,does anyone know if beef,chicken you can get at the store would safe for a feline to eat.
    Given that some of these animals were feed left over dry cat/dog foods that had those poisens in them?

I'm just not sure if cooking the meats would kill of the poisen or not.

15. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Smkspy, I'm really sorry to hear your cat is not doing well. That's a pretty tough thing to recover from.

What helps with that 'final decision' is to sit down and decide what criteria constitutes quality of life for your cat, and list what you are capable of providing for her. You can use that as a barometer with regards to how she's doing, and whether or not to end it or keep going.

And yes, I very much agree that you should put a link in your sig for donations. I got a whole extra year with my cat because of the generosity of people on here.

If the meat is safe for you, its safe for your pet. HOWEVER...strictly muscle meat does not provide all the nutrients your pet needs. if you want to go with a raw or homecooked diet you need to research online and get some books. Or you could go with a company like the Honest Kitchen which does freeze-dried human grade pet diets for about the same cost as buying a bag of mid-level dry food at Petco. My foster kitty is on Honest Kitchen's Prowl (which of course appeals to the TF fan in me!)

--Moony

16. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

From the FDA petfood recall site:
    The Melamine contaminated food fed to the livestock was only found to not have a high enough level to harm humans,I haven't read anything that states that it would be safe to fed the same meats to felines.

That's why I was asking if anyone may have heard anything new about this.Alot of the vets I've asked just give me the "To be safe only feed them wet catfood and no human food" line. I really miss the older backwoods vets.

Thanks for the link though,I'd read a little about dehydraded cat foods a few months back,but didn't know of anyone who actually used the stuff.
    Does your cat have more energy/more active now?

I've been feeding my two cats ByNaturePetfoods Organics and have noticed how little they eat of it compared to refilling the bowl every hour with Purina catfood.

17. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Clearly the vets are still not aware, as owners like myself who went through the recall hell and educated themselves online know, there is FAR, FAR less FDA regulation of the pet food industry than the human one, and it hasn't improved. That's how stuff like rat poison, melamine, ammelorine, and ammeloride, and one unnamed substance got into the pet food in the first place. It was FAR worse than the mainstream media wanted to bother with, and went on far longer than their attention span. Months longer. You can research it on itchmo.com and petconnection.com, in way too many posts and articles throughout 2007.

Yep, but since I took my foster cat in she was spayed while pregnant, so she was low on energy anyway for some time, and she's also got some slight disabilities so its hard to tell what she was really like before then. It doesn't work well for every cat because it tastes a lot different than cooked canned and dry, either, but you can buy a sampler to try it out.

If its working well for them without any problems, relax. Take the time to do your online research, read labels, and decide what you want to switch them to or if you're going to switch them at all. If they stop eating, *that's* when you should worry.

--Moony

18. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
  19. smkspy

Well, Baby passed away this morning on the car ride to put her to sleep. I'm gonna miss her terribly, but she gave me a great eight years.

RIP Baby Cakes, you were a good cat and even better friend.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    :(  I'm so sorry for your loss.