My PC: Upgrade or Get a new one

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Luffy, May 20, 2011.

1. Luffy

Luffy Prof Slacker

News Credits:
    I've been wanting to play the latest PC games (SC II, Witcher 2, and upcoming Diablo 3). I have a four year old Dell XPS 410. It appears to very upgrade friendly and I'm wondering if I should do that or just build me a new one from scratch. Here are the current specs.

CPU: Intel Core 2
    Speed: 1.82 GHz
    Ram: 2 GB
    Graphics Card: Nivida Geforce 7300 LE
    HD: 288 GB

2. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd recommend getting a new machine. You'd need to pretty much upgrade all your hardware for it to make a noticeable difference and by that point, you could have used that money to buy a new machine that would last you another 4 years and beyond.

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Your ability to upgrade the existing unit is more or less going to hinge on the Motherboard: it determines what sort of CPU and RAM you can use. So find out what CPU's its compatible with.

If your Core2 Duo runs on LGA775, you might find a brand new CPU hard to come by, the only one available at online retailers for me in AUS is the E7500. The Ram is probably DDR2 and that's still plentiful (and cheap). The Graphics card will be PCI-16X soe basically any modern video card in your price range is available.

The only issue is the CPU.

My advice:

Whole new PC. It will be more expensive, but it should last at least as long as your old one, longer if you're clever.

Use the old one as a file server, stick a few 1TB drives in it, and boom, Rory's your mother's brother.

4. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    Yeah, new PC. Make sure you future proof it. You should get an 8GB DDR3 ram and a 2GB graphic card. Something like the Radeon HD 6950 or if your willing to go all the way the GeForce GTX 580.

Edit: Oh yeah, make sure it can support USB 3.0

5. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd also suggest getting something with SATA 6Gb/s. You might not use it now, but with SSDs on the rise, it's nice to have. In my personal experience, you don't NEED 8GB of RAM. It's nice to have, but I'm running mid range with 4 just fine. Things might load a bit slow and hang a bit more, but it's a way to save some dough. Just make sure to buy 2GB sticks so you can upgrade to 8GB later if you want. If you want to go all out, I'd suggest getting an SSD and an HDD. The SSD doesn't need to be large at all, just big enough to hold the OS. You than put data and applications on the larger physical hard drive. This really boosts performance. If you want to go even further, you can get an SSD with enough room to store applications, but that's cost prohibitive right now.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I got lucky when I got my sticks, 8GB sets (2x4GB) were going for like 110 bucks, so I got two. 16GB baby :D 

7. yami4ct

News Credits:
    Wow, good deal man. I'm sure most games don't use 1/4 of it, but it's real nice to have. I may pick up some more RAM next year or the year after about the same time I do a graphics card upgrade. Honestly, I'm not into big, explosive shooters so I don't need too high of performance equipment. 99% of stuff runs like butter. The only times I've had some trouble or missed features have been DA2, didn't get some DX11 stuff that wasn't that interesting anyway, and the Witcher 2 which is really pushing my system to the max. Playing the game, you can see why. God dang is that the most amazing looking RPG I've seen. CD Projekt Red's really outdone themselves.

Edit:
    Hey, I see the OP mentioned the Witcher 2. My lack of reading is why I shouldn't stay up late :lol . Yeah, you'll need a new PC for that. It's just destroying machines. Part of that is kind of sketchy optimization at launch, and the other is the fact it's a beast of a game. I'd recommend specing towards that, as it's one of the most resource intensive games around right now. Look around at card/cpu benchmarks, I noticed NeoGaf had some good ones, and pick something that'll give you decent FPS at a good price. I wouldn't recommend specing toward the highest stuff, as that gets super expensive, but running it at high with good FPS should give you a nicely powered machine. Also, SCII and Diablo 3 should run great on just about anything. Blizzard designs their games to run on as wide a range of hardware as possible, so they aren't TOO resource heavy.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm positive no game in existence uses all 16GB, but it filled all the RAM dimms, and future proofed the machine from my perspective.

Also as a point to the OP, there is no reason not to get the 64bit version of Win7, but don't let anyone talk you into getting anything above Professional, and even then Home Premium is certainly more than adequate for home users.

I just got Witcher 2 myself and for the record, my specs are:

AMD64 Phenom II X6 1100T (3.3Ghz)
    16GB DDR3 Ram
    ATI HD 6970 (2GB)

I'll see how Witcher 2 likes this rig and see if I can post some meaningful results from it.

9. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Slowest thing on any PC is the hard drive, even with the new solid state drives (SSD). I have a 64 bit AMD Core 2 3400 and a RAID 0 Raptor setup with the best card I could buy for it last year (spent like $200) and 2GB RAM (running win XP). I can still play Starcraft at max settings without a hitch.

Building a new PC and had planned on doing another RAID with the SSDs, but everything I'm reading about them they are extremely unstable, so I'm not sure if I'm going to go that route.

If you have a copy of windows to use, you can build a pretty killer PC for under $1k. I always suggest build vs. buy if you have a little time to read/research, can turn a screw, and click 'next'. heh

10. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    New PC. Dell strives for planned obsolescence. Even if you could find parts to upgrade, you can only go so far.

11. Luffy

Luffy Prof Slacker

News Credits:
    Thanks for the opinion guys. Somewhere down the road I think I'll get a new rig from Cyberpowerpc.

12. Slamdance

Slamdance The Sustainable 'Bot

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    That's not a bad little beast, I approve especially about choosing the HD6970, I got one of them and it is taaaasty.

Only thing I'd do, is stick a bigger PSU in, and get the 1600Mhz RAM. Other than that, solid choices my friend :) 

14. yami4ct

News Credits:
    Hey, the case in the picture, the Antec 900 Two, is the newer edition of my case, the 900. I LOVE that thing. You won't find better air cooling. It's not great for wire management, though I heard the 900-2 is a bit better, but it's still an amazing case. I'd highly recommend it. I got mine for a mint, though, as I got it for like $45 shipped on sale at Newegg.

Oh, make sure you get a 64-bit copy of windows when you get your new one. In this day and age, you need at least 4GBs of RAM and 32-bit cannot see over 3.something gigs. It's something to note. 64-bit is completely ready at this point and causes few, if any, compatibility issues. There is absolutely no reason to use 32-bit on a modern gaming PC.