My Pal 2ou're

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Dark Galvatron, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Dark Galvatron

Dark Galvatron Banned

Okay, tonight I'm starting a discussion here on a very unique toy robot from the 1990's, who was manufactured by the toy company Toy Biz, shortly before they were bought out by Marvel:

My Pal 2.
    For those of you that don't know, My Pal 2 was an electronic toy robot, designed and developed by Toy Biz, mostly as an educational toy, more or less. He could talk, play ring toss, toss a plastic orange ball, shoot hoops, had a nose flashlight and his most notable feature was that he could guard your door. When first manufactured, My Pal 2 units were being sold left and right during the Christmas rush of 1991 and became incredibly popular, also because this was one of the very few voice activated toy robots you would ever see. Here's an attached image of My Pal 2:

[​IMG]

Sometime during the year 1991, throughout the earliest part like January onward, many people were bringing back the My Pal 2 robots they had purchased for their children, due to a loose wire inside of the head of the robot which controled his nose light. Ironically enough, if this wire snapped, not only would the nose light cease to work, but it would shut down the entire robot altogether. Toy Biz lost out on a small amount of money due to the returns/exchanges/refunds, and never did acknowledge the problem, but continued to put out more My Pal 2 robots.

Finally, about 9 years after the creation of My Pal 2, another toy robot emerged from the same toy company, and was called My Pal 2000, a re-built, re-worked version of My Pal 2, suited to fit the year 2000, toy-wise for the children. This robot featured the following: Moving eyes, ears, nose and lips, pitching arm, internal hoop for basketball, storage compartment on his back, flashlight, baseball bat, Simon Says, a light up brain and many more features. But alas, this robot too was bound to run into problems just as My Pal 2 had. My Pal 2000 robots all over the world were being returned to toy stores, customers demanding immediate refunds because of multiple problems, such as the internal speaker not activating his sounds, the face literally falling apart from the inside, or not recognizing verbal commands to pitch the ball to the baseball player. Below is a link to an image of this robot.

[​IMG]

For those of you that remember these two robots, you're not alone! Feel free to join in the discussion thread now! And please forgive the goofup on the title.

2. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

That is pretty creepy looking.

3. Dark Galvatron

Dark Galvatron Banned

Yeah I should know, I had both versions of this growing up as a kid and they freaked me out.

4. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

You can request an edit to the title since you can't do it yourself.

And was there a My Pal 1, or was it inexplicably a sequel to nothing?

5. Dark Galvatron

Dark Galvatron Banned

Thanks for the info. And sadly, no there was never a My Pal 1. About 3 years ago, out of curiosity I contacted Toy Biz to see about getting a design schematic for My Pal 2 and in our conversation I asked about if there was a My Pal 1, and they said they were going to create a robot similar to My Pal 2 and just call it My Pal, but the project was scrapped when a fellow employee came into the conference room with designs of My Pal 2 and spoke of the features it had. So it was a sequel to something that almost was.