My own personal grail obtained (pic intensive)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Switchblade, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    As I've no doubt mentioned before in a few "when did you start collecting?" threads, the RiD line was when I returned to the world of Transformers. I came in towards the end of the line, but still managed to get most of the figures I wanted. Unfortunately, Armada was already coming out and I made the decision to pass on one figure in particular in favor of the Armada version. Last week I finally corrected that mistake. And, this week, I managed to get hold of the other big figure I was missing from RiD:

[​IMG]

Yep, Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus - the leader of the RiD Autobots and his jerk brother. And, by extension:

[​IMG]

Two amazing toys and some of the best engineered combiners I've ever had the pleasure to own. It really is a pity that I waited so long to get these guys.

Anyway, some pictures to celebrate my achievement. My apologies that some of these didn't come out great. First up, Optimus:

[​IMG]

I've had the Titanium version since he came out and, while nice, he really pales in comparison to the original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had Scourge for a long time, too. Nice to finally unite the rivals.

[​IMG]

The six different Optimus characters (G1, BW, RiD, Unicron trilogy, Movie, and Animated) in bot mode.

[​IMG]

And alt mode.

[​IMG]

Optimus in Super Mode. This is easily the best Super Mode Prime ever. The way the rear of the firetruck comes apart and turns into armor is fantastic. I almost like this formation better than Omega Prime.

[​IMG]

Although Omega - pictured here with some other Super Super Mode Primes - is pretty damn incredible in his own right.

Now on to Magnus:

[​IMG]

Out of focus RiD Ultra Magnus and my other out of focus Magnuses. I don't like Ultra Magnus as much as Optimus, but he's still a really nice toy (except for when it takes five minutes to attach his trailer to his cab because I forgot to rotate his fists the right way).

[​IMG]

Magnuses in vehicle mode.

[​IMG]

And Magnuses hauling around some buddies. I love how perfectly Magnus can hold the Car Brothers.

And finally one of the fringe benefits of getting these two figures is that I now own all thirteen of the original molds made for RiD. I'll add some more pictures of the whole gang later, but for now... Battle Protocol!

[​IMG]

(Galvatron not pictured)

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Congratulations man :) 

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Go you! :thumbs2: 

4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Congrats.

5. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love Omega Prime! I got Prime at the end of the line but I didn't get Magnus until a few years later. Omega Prime & Sonic Convoy are my two favorite combiners!

6. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Nice grail! I've always wanted those.

A collection of Optimus Primes never ceases to amaze me everytime I see any. =)

7. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    awesome, bro..good job..nice pics too

8. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Amazing collection of the Optimuses and Magnuses. Thummbs up!

9. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Congrats. I'm not a huge fan of the RiD toys and I've only seen a handful of episodes, but I've always been impressed by that Optimus and hope to add one to my collection someday. I like all the group shots by the way. Very cool!

10. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Gratz!!!

Funny that even Animated Ultra Magnus still has to lug other bots around.... :D 

11. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    What does it mean golden grail? Most valuable TF you own?

12. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Thanks. Not all of my Optimuses were used in these pictures - only about half of my Optimus collection.

I found it amusing to stick someone on top of him. I was going to put in a little speech bubble saying "get off of me!" but I ultimately decided not to.

A grail is a toy that you really, really want to add to your collection. It can be rare and valuable like a Lucky Draw gold chrome figure, or it can be something common and relatively easy to come by like RiD Prime and Magnus. It's just whatever you yourself really want.

13. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Animated Shockwave is my holy grail then.

14. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Grail could also just be the most treasured item that you own... for me, it would be a G1 Ironhide. Why? Because it's the first Transformers that I received when I was a kid... and during a time in my family's life where we were VERY poor.

15. Switchblade

News Credits:
    As promised, here are all 13 original RiD molds. It's a bit sad that they didn't design more, as a lot of these guys are really nice toys.

And then there's Grimlock. :p 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one that I did just for fun.

[​IMG]

16. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Poor Bulkhead. :lol 

Unfortunately, all the win in this thread was ruined by Energon Prime/Towline. I'm holding you responsible if my toilet backs up from all this puke.

17. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Congrats man! awesome!!!

18. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Well done on getting Omega Prime.

Personally, I think that RiD Optimus Prime is one of the most well-made Transformers ever. It wins in terms of alt mode, robot mode, super mode and just having a very commanding shelf-presence. I also tend to think that the RiD bots were some of the most well-designed toys, especially given that they preceded the Armada and Energon lines, and that no car robots had been done for quite some time before that. I proudly display my Omega Prime (and he towers over the other Optimii).

19. Switchblade

News Credits:
    It's a combination that amuses me. Terrible Optimus + ridiculous base = comedy gold.

20. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    RiD Optimus and Ultra Magnus were the first two Transformers I bought as an adult, long after my childhood G1 toys had been sold off. It's what got me back into Transformers, and got me into collecting.

To be perfectly fair, I think City Commander has finally topped RiD Prime for the partsformer armor thing, but it took almost 10 years for it to happen. We really didn't get another Prime that was comparable to him until Cybertron Optimus (And... surprise surprise... he was a fire truck too!)