Heavy/Scratch: My OTFCC Defensor Take

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Demonss, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WIP: My OTFCC Defensor Take

Hello Everyone!

I'm very new to this customization thing, so right now anything I have is just in the planning stage, but hopefully I can use this thread to document whatever I'm doing/come up with to create my own OTFCC Defensor!

Being that I'm new to this, I'm not great with painting and such, so this is all going to be a learning experience for me, but when I'm done he will be done right!

The goals of my design will be to look like the OTFCC Defensor (I'll attach that pic as an attachment), however have the combiner limbs.

Since the OTFCC Defensor is based off of RID Prime, I would like my Defensor to have 3 modes..

1) Hotspot alone, this will be prime's body just like OTFCC Defensor
    2) Defensor - This will be the OTFCC Defensor mode
    3) Supreme Defensor - This will combine the other limbs in order to form my masterpiece.

All I've got to show for now is the plans, and relative sizes.. I've got some more things brewing, but I need money to keep going, so it will be a long journey, but I invite you to experience it with me!

Here's what's happening now:
    1) Researching painting techniques and potential air brushes and such
    2) Researching how to connect components as well as coming up with connection points
    3) ordering components.. It's darn hard to figure out what to use for a head!

Status of Parts:
    RID Prime- AKA Hotspot - Obtained
    RID Axer - AKA Groove - Obtained
    Energon Towline - AKA First Aid - converted to a leg
    Classics Prowl - AKA Streetwise - Second copy in transit
    Classics Blades - Himself - Obtained
    Connection Pieces - Combination of Struxx and Neo Shifters at this point.

Enjoy! Feedback is always appreciated, but don't be discouraged if I don't listen as I already feel I've got a solid plan in mind!!

*edited attachments so nobody things the real OTFCC Defensor is actually mine*

09/11/2009
    A Quick Digibash of my vision for the trailer mode done by my good friend Stu (AKA Maximo Prime) and a mock up attachment of the upper arms!

09/17/2009
    Created a leg out of Towline.
    Created the arm out of Blades
    Still waiting on my choppable Prowl before I can really dive in further!
    Decided to Use the Supreme Robo 1 head by YourReflection as Defensor's Head!

Also added some Pics of some (mostly) pre-modded bots to show their relative sizes in both alt mode and bot mode!

09/30/2009
    No the project has not been abandoned!

I merely am waiting to get all the parts I need.. I'm looking at you prowl!!

Although I've been playing around with some ideas and am thinking I might use Axer as a leg..
    Pics are attached.

The awesome awesome head from Yourreflection has shown up, but I fear it's a little too big.. Opinions??
    I'm probably going to shave the side pipe things of it which will cut it's overall width down by about 1/4"

Also, if I use prowl as an arm instead I'm torn if I want to have that Missile pod on the one arm or just the car..

Opinions there are appreciated as well!

Note that the connections between the legs and prime are going to be shorter, it was just the only way I could prop him up like that.

Also I'm over my 20 pictures in this message so I will be filling my posts (from here) with added pictures, so just scroll down to the next time I posted to see any overflow pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you mean obtained rather than attained.

How're you planning to attach the limbs?

3. Demonss

News Credits:
    Curse me and my failure to grasp the English language.. This is why I went into a mathematical based profession..

You'd think after 28 years I'd have figured out English by now.. Alas I am destined to fail (and edit posts).

:) 

I'm not certain on limb attachment, I've heard about things like neoshifters and such, so currently I'm just scouring the net for different bot type things that I may be able to adapt in some way to make connect.

Whatever I do my options need to:
    -Be hidden as much as possible in Alt mode (in some cases, especially on prime I don't think it'll be 100% possible to hide them completely, but should be good enough).

- Not really stick out awkwardly in bot form. If that means I need to make Defensor need to have a few components that won't store on a bot while in between modes, then so be it.

-And finally, offer at least a bit of flexibility.. I don't need him to be like his 80's counterpart! :) 

Attached Files:

4. IF_IR_IE_IE_ID

IF_IR_IE_IE_ID USAF Seeker

Ebay:
    Dont sweat it. Mathematics is the true language of the Universe. jot down the Golden Ratio, and in time all smart creature will understand...good luck on combining them. thats why I havent yet done a combiner, not sure how to combine them.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This is very ambitious for your first project.

6. Demonss

News Credits:
    Yup..
    I figured as much, but might as well start with the one thing I want to do.. it'll make me strive for excellence.. ;) 

I decided a few more things a few minutes ago.. As I've got a spare RID magnus which came with my Prime, I'm going to add a "car carrier" mode to hot spot, which will ultimately make somewhat of a parts former in that regard since the rear of the RID Prime will not be able to be attached at the same time Hotspot is in car carrier mode. But whatever.. It's more to pay homage to the 80's toy.

I'll also be looking into tubing from home depot or lowes as well as some junker guns and such to make the back end of Optimus' fire truck a repair bay mode as well..

Man the possibilities keep on rolling!
    Hopefully tonight I can put together a rough view of the Car carrier mode. :) 

7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I just hope you don't run into a problem that will cause you to get discouraged and put the project on hold.

This is definitely a big project. I wouldn't even try this yet. And I've been kitbashing for almost 2 years.

Best of luck. And remember to take your time.

9. Demonss

News Credits:
    Nah doubt that.
    I've got a mech eng degree backing up my confidence. :) 
    So it's just a matter of finding what I need to make it do what I want.
    My biggest worry in the whole matter is painting, because i'm not good at that at all!

Don't worry about the take your time thing.. I'll be doing that since I can't afford to have everything all together now.. :) 
    First things first.. plan.. Then put together.. then spend forever learing how to paint (before painting) so I don't mess up.

Ebay here I come for some cheap model kits or something.. :p 

10. Demonss

News Credits:
    Hello again everyone!
    I've come up with the Car carrier mode I was thinking of using a spare Ultra Magnus trailer.

A yellowed Magnus came in the same auction that I got my second RID prime, and after a little thinking (really not much work at all), I've got Hotspot's car carrier mode!

Sure the back half of the truck is not going to have anything to do with Defensor (I don't think), but it will at least give Hotspot all his modes!

Base, car carrier, Firetruck, defensor!

So I'm excited, as you might be able to tell!

11. JSP

JSP Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i wouldnt worry about the painting as much just try and keep the paint scheme simple and clean. Iv been painting gamesworkshop stuff for about 15 yrs now and iv now moved on to doing this.

have u decided on what method your going to use to paint them?

12. Demonss

News Credits:
    Currently I'm looking into an airbrush for the majority of the work.. for the REALLY fine details I'll probably settle for a fine brush.. But that's down the road at this point.. So I've got time to research. :) 

13. Demonss

News Credits:
    A Quick Digibash of my vision for the trailer mode done by my good friend Stu (AKA Maximo Prime) and a mock up attachment of the upper arms!

14. JSP

JSP Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    im just teaching myself how to use air brush as im used to painting everything with a brush which takes ages and u dont get a as good a finish as you do with air brushing.

try looking at wet brushing techniques as it can give you a good finish if done properly and also using washes as these add shading without having to mix different shades of paint to blend the paint job

15. Demonss

News Credits:
    Updated the first post with some new pictures and notes!!!

16. Demonss

News Credits:
    More pics added! Sorry my camera stinks... I'm forced to use my phone while my digital camera remains lost! :( 

17. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Things are coming along nicely man. First aid as a leg is looking great. Have you thoght about using some sort of kibble on the arms to cover the joint up?

18. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Good to see you getting some feedback on this bad boy!! That Defensor head is gonna RULE on top of this beast.

19. Demonss

News Credits:
    I'm actually looking into pick up some styrene sheeting so I can close off the pannel to mostly cover the joint up. We'll see. If I don't like how it looks I'll definitely attach things to the arm section just to bulk it up a little. :) 

I'm glad to see such positive responses!!

Keeps me terribly interested!

20. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

The proportion of the legs are looking pretty good on this.

You know I was thinking. The upper proportion of the RID Ultra Magnus might actually function better as a gestalt body because it's so big. But that RID Prime looks really good as hotspot. I wonder if there was a way to mix the two so you can get the best of both worlds?

Also, have you thought about possibly using an Armada Sideways for the bike instead? I know he's bigger than the guy your currently using. Might help balance out the arms for you.

Overall man, I can't wait to see this complete. AND THAT HEAD IS AWESOME! :thumb