My opinion on the Transformers cartoons

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SHINOBI03, Mar 28, 2012.

1. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Note: This topic excludes the Japanese exclusives (Headmasters, Masterforce, Beast Wars 2, etc.), the sub lines (Go-bots, Rescue Bots, etc.) and the Live Action movies.

Now that I just finished Cybertron, I have watched all American continuity Transformers shows. And it's about time I give my opinions on each.

===========

Transformers G1:

What can I say? This is G1. The source of all Transformers and where it all started for us (unless you count the comics of course).

This show was the set up and basis for all Transformers characters and mythos and it still remains till this day.

It was a fun kids show to watch, but it's still got its flaws. For starters, the plot was too simple. Or to be exact, it felt like there was no plot at all. It was just Autobots and Decepticons doing stuff. And because of the simple plot, we had a lot of continuity errors, retcons and plotholes that made us go "Huh?!".

Another flaw is there are too many characters to keep a focus on. This is more prominent in the second season where it's too long, each episode features a new character, and the later episodes were all about new combiners. It was more heavily toy-advertisement than the first season where it had fewer characters and 16 episodes only.

And of course you have the art work. It was so poorly made and nothing stays consistent.

The best? No. The worst? No. It's in the middle to me.

6/10

===========

Transformers Beast Wars:

For starters, yes, I wasn't so sure about this show. Animal transformers? That's not gonna be good. But surprisingly, I was so wrong. This show was awesome and the plot was better written than G1.

One of the things I liked about the show is giving a good reason to transform. It wasn't like G1 where they transform just because they can. And I liked how they are helpless when they can't transform or reach their limit, which is a reason for disliking the Transmetal upgrades since it removed that handicap.

Since it had a small cast, it lead to great character development and the characters had a lot of focus and you get to know them better as time goes on and that makes them more enjoyable. Adding to that the amazing voice acting by the Ocean Group.

The CGI is no longer as impressive as today's standards, but it's still fairly good.

If there's a thing I dislike about this show it would be the wrong comedy in the wrong time. You know what I'm talking about, right? There's a serious moment going on, and it's ruined by an exaggerated cartoony comedic moment.

9/10

===========

Transformers Beast Machines:

Story wise, this is one of the best. It was dark, serious, and better put together than Beast Wars. However, it felt a bit too serious at times... the comedy was little compared to the prequel.

The Maximals are the weakest part of the show. They aren't as fun as they were in Beast Wars. They barely trust each other and they always doubt Optimus. Optimus himself was't as great as he used to be. The one that saved the show for me was Cheetor. In my opinion, he was the best Maximal of the show. The vehions on the other hand were better characters. They were fun to have, and let's not forget the fact that Megatron actually conquered Cybertron! The enemy had the advantages over our heroes.

But the thing I hated the most about this show was the Maximals' designs. Animal forms were okay, but their robot modes were UGLY!! And thanks to their "spiritual" transformations, we ended up with ugly, not screen-accurate toys.

8/10

===========

Transformers Robots In Disguise:

Our first dubbed Japanese Transformers show. How did it fair? Well, not bad, but we tend to get some Japanese clechies like calling your attacks and transformation sequences.

The plot is simple, but not as simple as G1. In other words, it exists, but it's slow pacing and not so sophisticated. But despite that, it was rather enjoyable, and it's good to have Autobots, Decepticons and Predicons in one show.

And this is one of the few shows that you don't hate the humans. I don't know about you, but I didn't mind Koji. And Kelly was amusing as well.

7/10

===========

Transformers Armada:

The first part of the Unicron Trilogy. How does it hold up? Well, it was good. We're back to the old fashioned Autobots vs Decepticons, and with a small cast.

Story wise, it was good. The pacing was a little slow at first with the search of random Minicons, but it picked up once the combining Minicons and the weapons were brought in sight. And it got better with the Unicron Battle.

The show had good character development. Especially for Starscream. This Starscream is the best Starscream as a character and reminded me a lot of BW Dinobot.

There weren't that many bad things about it, with the exception of mild dub errors and stupid Carlos, Fred and Billy.

7.5/10

===========

Transformers Energon:

Oh... God... where do I start with this...?! This.. is really, the worst Transformers show I've ever seen. I knew before hand it's gonna be terrible, but really, it was terrible in both story and production.

For starters, the CG models. They were horrible looking and poorly made. Their animation was awkward and didn't seem natural or fluid as the cel animated ones from Armada. Hell, they were so bad that they had to animate certain moments with cel animation.

And the plot was terrible. So they try and reactivate Unicron, only to stop it, and then reactivate him again to restore the planets he destroyed, only to to be stopped my Megatron, and then reactivate him again, and then gone to another dimension! For a show labeled as "Unicron Trilogy", Unicron was more of a plot device than a character like in the the movie. And what happened to the Minicons from the previous show?!

And this show throws off random new characters out of nowhere for the sake of new toys. Yeah, it's a toy-based show, but in previous shows they made sense. Here, they shove them up at your throat. Wing Dagger is dead?! NOOOO!!! Oh wait, we can rebuild him!! Silly us, all that drama for nothing. And you have random gimmicks all over the place. Energon Stars, Power Links, Bulkhead's hip guns, more Power Links.

Speaking of characters, I really hated most of them. Most notably the Decepticons and good God, Snow Cat! He was the most annoying Decepticon ever!

And this show got the honor of having the worst human character ever. My God, I really hated Kicker. He was loud, rude, and obnoxious. I don't know if that was how he's written in the Japanese version, but he's still the worst to the point you'd rethink of your hatred to Daniel, Sam, Sari and Miko all together.

3/10

===========

Transformers Cybertron:

Despite it being part of the Unicron Trilogy, it barely had any connection the previous parts. It felt like a new show on itself. The transformers were a secret despite knowing them globally in Energon, and no Unicron to worry about.

Unlike Armada and Energon, this was fun to watch. I liked every thing about. The pacing was good, the CGI looked way better, the different Transformer planets, and fun characters.

I'll say this first. Cybertron got the most enjoyable human characters ever. Coby, Bud and Lori were wonderful together, Suzuki was okay but didn't get to see much of her, and Colonel Franklin was not your stereotypical secret agent who wants to eliminate the aliens and turned out to be a really nice guy.

The transformers were also fun, but no annoying ones or absurdly stupid ones like in Energon. I liked the dynamics they have due to different planets and different rules. The Speed Planet/Velocitron arc is a favorite because they were races. We didn't get race-specific stories and it was refreshing to have the characters just have a race between them. And we have Minicons again! Remember those guys that were important in Armada but didn't do anything in Energon?

The dub was great. There was little to no jarring or obvious errors like in Armada & Energon. And based on the Wiki, it actually made things and moments have some sense and gave explanations that weren't available in the Japanese version.

You get the obligatory gimmick, in this case we have the Cyber Keys, which are basically the same as the Minicons from Armada.

Overall, this is one of the best Transformer shows ever.

9/10

===========

Transformers Animated:

Just like Beast Wars, I wasn't sure about this one based on the cartoony designs. But the show turned out better than what I thought it would. Now I admit, some designs do look silly like the Constructicons, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Some may don't like this, but I liked having Optimus not being the leader of the Autobots and not treated as the greatest Autobot ever. He was a washed up elite who ended up in a repair crew that got mixed up in a conflict with the Decepticons. Give us something new for a change. Why stick with the ol' mighty Optimus Prime all the time?

Now, despite the silly looking characters, the plot was well done. It had serious moments like Ratchet's history with Lockdown, Arcee and Omega Supreme, and you have the manipulative Megatron, and the revelation of Sari and the Decepticon spy.

Another thing about this show is having more homages and references than the previous shows. Not just from G1 show, but also from Beast Era, Unicron Trilogy and the live action movie. But the obvious ones are the G1 homages by having characters that didn't appear since G1.

Those who dis this show for the designs I say you are wasting a great story. You should give it a try. You know a show is good when the audience demand for more episodes.

8.5/10

===========

Transformers Prime:

The current show that rivals Beast Era in awesomeness. This show is dark and serious and not as light hearted as the others. And you can tell that when they kill a character from the very first episode. There's also a lot of violence and human death ((Unnamed solders, but it's still on-screen death non the less)).

The show is being made in the current CGI animation, making it more advanced looking compared to Beast Era and Unicron Trilogy.

Now for the plot, I can't say for now, but the first season gave us a good one. Megatron returns and gets heavily damaged later, Starscream tries to take control until Megatron returns, Megatron prepares the return of Unicron, Unicron get's destroyed and the price was Optimus' memories. That was a rather good plot, but most of the time it was character development.

Some may agree that Optimus is one of the low points about the show so far. He's not as lively as other Optimus' we've seen so far and considered to be boring and not interesting. But let's wait till the end so we can give him a better judgment.

For human characters, they are good. Jack is normal, Raf is fun, and Miku is the bratty one. I don't mind them as much as others would do. But Agent Fowler is the best of them.

But overall, the show got potential so far and it may get better than this.

7.5/10 for now.

===========

And there you have it. My opinions on the Transformers shows. You may agree or disagree with what I wrote, but I don't mind since they are your own opinions.

2. KikBlava

KikBlava Well-Known Member

Great points. I would mostly agree with you, except for Armada which I want to give a second chance. But you have really made me more interested in Energon and Cybertron. I cannot wait to watch Energon and experience this grand pain that everyone else has felt. I might have fun with Cybertron.

I'm nearly done with G1, it is one hell of an experience. The strange type of experience I don't remember in the morning, except for some amazing episodes of course. Yes I need to promote some great episodes for anyone wanting to see G1. (More than meets the eye, the ultimate doom, Megatron's master plan, the awesome movie, Dark Awakening)

Once I'm done with G1, I'm going to rewatch Beast Wars because its just down right wonderful, and then I'll watch Beast Machines from sratch because I stopped at episode 20. I like Beast Machines but I wasn't in the mood to finish it when I kept on taking long breaks from it.

RiD looks okay, Animated makes me happy and Prime is my second favourite Transformers cartoon.

3. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome points, especially since I myself just finished all of G1, watching Beast Wars currently, and have both Armada and Animated to watch next. Prime totally caught up on and yes def. the best out of all the Transformer cartoons IMO. With that said, does anyone know where I can watch Beast Machines online besides youtube? Please PM me if you know!

4. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I generally agree with you on most points. I'm only slightly against the Cybertron (Granted, I'm not a race fan and the Velocitron arc felt like it dragged on too long. It also felt like the Decepticons never really stood a chance, with (One or two exceptions aside) Megatron/Galvatron and Starscream only ever being able to score wins) and Armada (Starscream's story was amazing, but that doesn't stop the beginning from being laden with errors and the overall slow pace).

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I like all the shows pretty much excluding Energon.

6. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Good opinions, mate. I totally agree with everything you said, especially when you talked Energon. I fully agree that Energon was the worst series to have ever been produced. Dubbing errors, bad CGI flow, animation errors, you name it. Not to mention the most annoying humans to ever walk on the face of the planet.

I'm glad you find Cybertron to your liking. It's fun, its spine-tingling, emotional, and perhaps one of the most spectacular shows I've ever seen. I said its one of the most because I'm a fan of BW/BM and TFPrime. And I say its spine-tingling because the races on the Velocitron arc just kept on giving me an adrenaline rush! Absolutely loved it!

Thank you for your honest opinion on TFPrime as well. While 'some' people may not agree that its terrific, it has its amazing moments. It's season 1 plot is probably better than Cybertron, especially with all the twists and turns that have been happening lately. After all, season 2 has just started, so we still need to keep on watching before we completely judge it.

As the saying goes: "Don't judge a book by its cover."

7. SHINOBI03

And that's the thing the thing about Velocitron arc. It was just a race between the Autobots and the Decepticons. They have a race instead of the usual fighting. We never see them having a regular(?) race or any sort of game or challenge between the two sides to win what they want ((Unless you count that virtual fighting tournament from Energon)).

And Hotshot didn't win from the first try. That's another good thing about it. He lost against Override several times before he achieves his final victory and we see how he kills himself with these crazy upgrades..

8. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

g1 transformers series is ok - sundow got put in backstory of proctobots and arielbots

9. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have to admit, Energon was my least favorite. I can't tell you why, but I don't know, it wasn't moving me.

I didn't look at the physical aspects, or how the TF(s) were drawn but maybe the story line for Energon wasn't working for me, that could be it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  10. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm all about plot and character development. For that reason G1 and energon are my least favorite series'. Also for that reason, I love Animated and Beast Machines. Each had well-developed characters and enjoyable plots. Animated was both fun and suspenseful. BM was dark and serious.

I really like Beast Wars. Just as good as Animated and Beast Machines(I just like them a little more). Prime is okay. I expect it to be higher on the list at the end of season 2. Armada and RID are decent. I like them mainly for nostalgia reasons. Cybertron I haven't seen yet, but I hear its worth watching.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Cybertron is fun. Unless you hate fun. don't watch it.

12. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

primus used two moons as weapons and cody said moon that loser

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
  14. TheosPrime

TheosPrime Complete Amateur

Ebay:
    Cool review of all of the series. I have to disagree with you about Armada, though. I really tried to watch it...but I only got to like episode 5. Between those stupid kids and the random, "Hey look it's a minicon that does all of these cool things." And then they don't do ANYTHING with it. kind of left me saying WTF. However I do hear the second half is when it gets good!?

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:

I'll get torn to pieces for this (and have before), but no, it doesn't. The series doesn't get any better, it's just as dull and boring and hard to watch at the end as it is at the beginning.

I fell for that "it gets better" crap and it never did for me.

16. SHINOBI03

Fixed.

17. TheosPrime

TheosPrime Complete Amateur

Ebay:
    Your sacrifice shall not be in vein my friend! I will stay clear. Thanks!

18. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would have switched your G1 rating with BM's, other than that looks good.

19. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Time to add Beast Hunters to this when it's aired. Also to add watching Energon, man Kicker is by far the most annoying Human ever in a TF cartoon....he whines so much!

20. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Oh goodie, another opinion.