My only problem with the show

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Torque, May 2, 2011.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Is that they use terms like brain, veins, etc. I miss the Bot Body talk like in animated. Thats the only problem I have with this show. Bother anyone else?

2. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't really bother me, But I have noticed that. My girlfriend commented on it and said she thought "It's stupid"

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's better. Sometimes the robot talk gets extremely cheesy.

Animated used TUBES instead of veins, and it always sounded retarded.

ARE U SHUR U DUNT HAVE SOME DECEPTICON OIL IN UR TUBES??

4. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    To me it makes sense, since these terms aren't specific to humans. For instance a brain could be a part of the body that controls feelings, actions, and emotions but doesn't necessarily have to be a human organ by definition.

5. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    ^This

6. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

At the time, changing words in phrases like "You'll have to pry them from my cold, offline servos" sounded cheesy, but now that this show doesn't use them as frequently, I kinda miss them...

Overall, though, I think this show uses a nice balance of 'bot lingo and regular words.

7. Jive Guru

Jive Guru Professional Amateur

I noticed this too, but ultimately it was so small a thing I just didn't care very much.

If I really had to stretch an excuse to make myself feel better, I could always just say they are using the 'human words' for their various parts because they are speaking in human language, not cybertronian.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Sometimes it just makes for more coherant dialogue. Hell, Swindle even made fun of how clunky the robot terms could be. ("It's a no processor...er")

Sometimes robot talk can work, but sometimes it's better off using regular terms.

"Optics" always pissed my off. They're eyes, okay. They look like eyes, function like eyes. No real reason to say optics, and it just sounds weird.

9. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

As much as I like the use of "scrap" as an alternative to swearing, it's getting overused. So yeah, I'd like to hear a few more mechanical puns/terms.

I'm actually okay with the Autobots using organic terms because it shows that they're trying to fit in to Earth culture, so why not use Earth terms? Plus, it just adds to the "living robot" shtick.

Decepticons are better off using mechanical terms (eyes = optic sensors, limbs = servos, muscles = hydraulics, etc.), but not to the point to where they end up losing that sharp edge that makes them intimidating.

10. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I loved the way they talked in Animated, but I don't have a problem with the more normal talk.

11. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can take it either way...optics for eyes, aft or exhaust port for ass, audio processors for ears, processor for brain, etc. Just depends on the line and context, sometimes it seems completely normal to say a more Cybertronian description, other times it makes more sense to use the Earth jargon. I do think it's more acceptable from the Autobots instead of the Decepticons tho..as the Cons disdain everything that's EARTH related..from his people to technology. So I would find it more likely the Cons would use their descriptions for body parts, not ours. Just my :2c: 

12. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Is it me or is Bulkhead is the one doing all the bot talk? While the rest are content with using human terms for robot anatomy, Bulky's been spouting out words like optics, undercarriage, articulators, and so on.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Doesn't bother me at all. Honestly, Animated got really corny at times with all it's bot-talk. It's good when used sparingly and at the right times.

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I think I like when they use the mechanical/robotic terminology. Up to a point. There is a point where it gets a bit silly. But other than that, I rather enjoy it.

It's certainly useful for translating phrases that they'd never get away with otherwise.

15. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I agree with this.

16. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've noticed it. I prefer them to use non biological terms because I find it hard to believe that a culture of robots would have developed such words to be used in every day context.

But I know it's just a show. I know it can't live up to my perhaps too high standards. So I let this slide. It isn't a huge thing just something that causes me to shift in my chair from discomfort.

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find it harder to believe that robots would use random words like servos and others for parts.

They are not from our planet, they wrote and spoke cybertronian before coming to Earth, logic dictates that when speaking english they would use the human word for whatever they got as veins that they learned, not "fuck that noise, TUBES is so much more robotic! hahaha!"

18. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

No. Doesn't bother me one bit.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Exactly.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, because "I'll rip out your optics" still gives me chills. But I don't want to hear all bot talk, because it does get cheesy. I like it in reference to certain parts of the robots, like this example.