My only problem with the film was the Decepticons!?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Thepower911, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Thepower911

Thepower911 Decepticon

Ok , in the first two movies all the Decepticons were big bad and unstoppable!..then DOTM came.

Megatron :crazy:  had emotional problems the whole movie, calling truce with autobots!!?? Had to get a Pep talk from a "human girl!!" to be somewhat of his normal self! He didn't kill anything, only if you count the big bad statue.

Starscream :rip , don't get me wrong did more than Megatron in the movie, but mainly it seemed like he was just a death count for Sam & Co.

Soundwave :rolleyes2  kidnaps a small girl, takes orders from a human ...... and sorta helped killed Que not sure ..... then gets blasted and dies . Communication officer pft.

Shockwave (Grindor 2.0):confused:  was the "model" bad guy, big gun, cocking it every time we see him , big broad and just plain scary..... but that's the only thing he did in the movie! :(  Showed up......showed up again, and then died! Another kill for Optimus & Co. He did no plot movement what so ever . He really shouldn't have been in the movie

THE STARS::bay  Sentinel Prime , Laserbeak & (Drones!!) did MAJOR plot movement , basically the driving force for the villains in the movie .

I'm not bashing the movie , I just thought the decepticons were poorly misused , doesn't make the movie bad .

I'm just wondering do you guys think the main "big baddie" decepticons were a understatement in the movie?

2. al91176

al91176 Decepticon

Yes that has been a common complaint. I think they were a bit of a pushover in ROTF also. The only movie that they seemed tough to take down was the original imo.

3. Trypticon 2010

Trypticon 2010 Well-Known Member

Shockwave was a red herring, to cover up the twist with Sentinel Prime.

4. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean they still couldn't put him to good use.

Still, he was a damn good red herring.

5. HennepinCrawler

HennepinCrawler Virile Young Tabby

I'm honestly disappointed the 'Cons got such lackluster characterization in the films. We don't know anything about any of them other than Megatron goes from ruthless to pussywhipped and Starscream is even more pussywhipped by his pussywhipped leader!

6. Number1sikko

Number1sikko Autobot

News Credits:
    I think Shockwave had a good role if you think into it. He convinced Prime that the decepticons were trying to protect the engine piece from the Ark when in reality they wanted the autobots to find the ship.

He had his Driller pet take down the building in an attempt to protect the control pillar from the soldiers and Hardcore Eddies rocketlauncher.

He took Prime out of the fight in Chicago for a while giving the decepticons the opportunity to capture the autobots, execute Que and nearly execute bumblebee.

So honestly, I think Shockwave had a good role in the movie.

7. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

This is Bay's version of a Million year old super advanced, Technological alien race coming to earth to get beat down by "AMURRICA, F*** YEAH! Coming again, to save the Motherf***ing day yeah!"

8. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

Megatron in DOTM was typical G1 Megatron, he was a plotter, and still the main villain. Still to get the original leader of the autobots on his side all those years ago, and be the one to bring the downfall of sentinal is badass. But Megs was not so much of a pussy the way he destroyed sentinal at the end, even though sentinal was about to kill optimus. This Megatron is what we missed from ROTF. Sentinal I would rate has a decepticon in DOTM, because he choose megatron's side, and in the process gave optimus a real ass kicking at times.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

On Megatron, that kind of was the point of the movie: Megatron was a broken, old and declining man, long past his prime. The movie was clear as water about that [thus why there are great chances of Sentinel taking over].

On the human girl, he almost killed her, he wasn't going to listen her, but he realized one tiny detail: she was damn right.

Shockwave served well as Megatron's Dragon for me, serving as the main villain of the Battle of Chicago before Sentinel kicked in.

Soundwave was cool. sure he could have more hacking, but he was cool.
    And he didn't take orders from Dylan, you can even notice that when Dylan says "kill them!", Sounwave gives a brief laugh in tone of mockery, like if he were saying "The fleslhing thinks he commands SHIT here."

I do agree Shockwave could have done more, and Soundwave could have some Hacking scene, but still was cool.

10. megatron6661

Exactly, and another reason why megatron did a deal with sentinal, just incase anything happened to him, there was someone else to take his place. But they did show what megatron was capable of, in the way he ripped sentinal apart, for a decepticon that was broken, he was still dangerous. He even taunted optimus in the way that optimus had one arm after megatron destroyed sentinal, he almost gave optimus one option, make a truce or megatron would finish optimus off.

11. Starscreamer69

The problem with DOTM in particular, was that it only had 5 main Cons to focus on ; Megs, Screamer, Shocky, Soundwave and Laserbeak. I wrongfully assumed that because of the lack of other bots in the Cons main cast, that the big four would get heaps of screen time and characterization, that they would be the ultimate bad asses. Instead, Shockwave got the Bonecrusher treatment, with the rest being massively underplayed. I wouldn't mind how they died it's just that I wish they did more significant things before they did. It is one of the major gripes I have with this movie, but apart from that I liked it.

12. Thepower911

Thepower911 Decepticon

this!! :)  , Especially Megs and Shockwave .

13. Starscreamer69

Glad that we're on the same page, mate :) 
    I wonder how long Megs, Screamer, Soundwave and Shocky's screen time is all up? 10 minutes at the most I think. Now, that's fine, and I completely understand why, budget reasons ect.
    But it's not much out of a 2 hour and 45 minute movie.

14. Rodimus25

Rodimus25 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree.. Did anyone ever hear megatron say " deceptions retreat" I don't think I ever heard it, but it was common place in g1..

15. megatron6661

Exactly, Megatron was fantastic in this film, his voice was even more sinister and gritty, and even when Megatron was broken, the decepticons still looked up to him. I never expected Megatron or the decepticons in any of the 3 films to get tons of screen time, yes it was disappointing Megatron never got the epic battle with optimus, that we got in movie 1, but sentinal and optimus's fight was epic, and something we missed with optimus vs the fallen. People wanted one villain to give optimus a fight, well apart from ROTF and even in that megatron killed optimus. But optimus was megatron's bitch in movie 1, and optimus was battered in DOTM at times by sentinal. So overall, the decepticons were brilliant in the films, and gave optimus plenty of good fights, but optimus has got have his moments to

16. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    The Autobots did seem unstoppable didn't they. But the fact remains that if Wheelie hadn't crashed the ship then the Autobots would have died.

I re- watched the first 2 films back to back and here's the thing. TF: Megatron is badass, ROTF: Megatron is still as badass but the bad writting and pacing and spacing of events just make his badass... not... badass. The Fallen was the original Decepticon so it's only right that Megatron is his servant but that doesn't make him less of a badass.

in DOTM Megatron is weak but he shows that he can still be badass when he puts his (half) mind to it. Do you think TF1 would take Sentinel's abuse?

17. Starwave

Starwave Herald of Unicron

I was expecting Shockwave and Megs to be my favorite in the film.... But it wound up being Soundwave and Lazerbeak. Soundwave and Barricade killed Q, and he ALMOST killed Bumblebee. Lazerbeak was all sorts of awesome. I didn't expect him to talk, so that was pretty cool. He also killed a lot of humans. The rest were just pushovers. I liked the twist Sentinel formed an alliance with the 'Cons, but they didn't have to make the others completely worthless.

18. megachin

megachin Banned

I love starscream role in all 3 movies.

Gald he didn't get taken out by a railgun or human weapon but by Que weapon boomstick BADASS.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I feel the Decepticons were more competent here than the last two movies. They were a coordinated military faction that launched a genuine and effective invansion over a small area and were quickly able to set up defenses and a stronghold.

Megatron was a great character. He's psychotically violent, has an ego, tries to get others to do his work, very Megatron. Starscream was hilarious. He was very much the classic whiney, bumbling but still had his moments of badassery Starscream. Soundwave and Laserbeak were both fantastic, sick, sadistic and torturous.

20. Shandemia

Shandemia Well-Known Member

I actually liked the whole Sentinel betrayal twist in ths film, just didn't like the fact that my beloved grunt Ironhide wasn't aknowledged or mentioned at all after his brutal demise where there were great opportunities to do so.

I hoped for more screentime for Shockwave but by now everyone knows that having Shocky in all those bad-ass looking trailers cocking his cannon was all commercial fodder to the real villain in Sentinel. His introduction in the film was amazing and the way he called "Optimus" in Chernobyl was plain awesome and Prime actually sounded concerned about his presnce.

I just hoped Shockwave's fight with Prime would have lasted a bit longer or at least had some good swipes at each other before prime finally taking those killer nuckles out and slicing the one eyed decep.

Megs and Screamer were OK, Soundwave was cool too. That scene in Africa where all three are on the same frame and Laserbeak get on Soundwave's shoulder was really nice. Liked the fact that Barricade finally got off the right exit this time in the highway from TF1 ad made it back, lol.