My old Roadbuster Kits up on Shapeways

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by NATO-BOT, Nov 16, 2011.

1. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is a huge size difference between those toys. Maybe If you like the pinhead look

2. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i would, i prefer not to paint upgrades, even though i can do it, and paint matching would take me a few minutes at most, i like the durability of the factory produced items

3. NATO-BOT

NATO-BOT Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The idea has come up before.

4. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Got the original kit when it came out, and it makes for a great Roadbuster.

I'm pretty sure I recall reading that WSF is much easier to paint if you soak the pieces in Future Floor Polish first. Fills in all the pores, might even give it a smoother exterior. WSF-polished and Future Floor Polish might be a winning combo.

5. Bruticus11

Bruticus11 White Elephant Hunter

Ebay:
    Do these parts come painted???

6. NATO-BOT

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, Shapeways doesn't paint anything.

7. Bruticus11

Bruticus11 White Elephant Hunter

Ebay:
    Dam, i cant paint shit, oh well thanks anyway

8. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    I bought the original Nato Bot Roadbuster upgrade kit during it's early days and LOVED IT. I suggest you get this one guys, it's a great fun little set.

9. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    If I could paint worth a damn, I would be all over the cannons. When Nano first produced this I wasn't as into dropping cash on third party products and only ordered the head and rifle. Really wish I had gone full out cannonized cause it is an amazing kit. I hope anyone who has painting skills picks it up cause it really makes this figure great. Hope you sell a bunch Nano.

10. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I have one of the original full sets, I think it is great that you are offering them again to people that missed out. I love mine

11. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Nice news, but Fakebusker83 should be featured too, cause he has awesome addons too, and all are easy to add to the figures

12. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    For people who don't think they can paint.. it really isn't too hard at all, especially for something pretty simple like a gun. I understand not wanting to take apart toys and do complete repaints, but really I think many of you are selling yourselves short as far as not being able to paint a gun or head.

I don't want to speak for NATO-BOT but there's obviously a reason he isn't producing em anymore, either the mold broke or he doesn't have time or.. well, whatever. Like I said, I'm not speaking for him. Just saying, he's meeting demand with this. Shapeways takes care of everything for him, and can generally do it for less money than your average small operation. It is what it is. Jars of paint are like three bucks a piece at testors.com. :) 

13. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

The issues I've had with painting have been severe. Every brand of paint and every type, have always chipped, peeled, didn't dry well/was forever tacky or ruined the plastics. Now if someone wants to buy me a set and do the paint matching and everything, then I'll gladly pay them for their work, but I'm holding off on buying anything from Shapeways due to the painting issues. Then theres the other downside to painted items. I like to still play with my toys a bit, so I end up with scratches and scuffs on painted parts and that makes me sad.

Of course I can come up with more excuses, such as the medical problems I have which causes my hands to shake to the point that I can no longer write or draw. The list goes on. I would REALLY love to have this set if it comes out again in color....

14. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the call-out, but I think Nato fully deserves the attention here. The pieces featured here are AWESOME. The cannons are among the most attractive I've seen, consider me a fan!

Agreed. Shapeways makes creating such products so much easier, since there's no need to make molds, casts, or manage inventory.

Most of the materials on Shapeways, especially the Strong Flexible variety take paint pretty well due to their porous nature, so I think you don't have to worry too much about chipping. Colour matching is a problem though.

15. NATO-BOT

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thanks for all the support.

16. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Yeah FB83 youre right, Sorry that im a so overloaded enthusiast Fan of your work.

NATO-Bot: Sorry for the Hijack-try

17. John ofthe Dead

John ofthe Dead Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey, my kit arrived from Shapeways over the weekend. I have a couple of questions, if anyone has experience with these products. First off, I'm not entirely certain how the large gun assembly is supposed to go together. Does anyone have an exploded view of the finished product, or perhaps some pointers on what goes where?

My second question is about the parts themselves. The places where there are pegs and holes that seem to align, the sizes seem ever so slightly mismatched. The pegs are just a teeeeeny bit to big to fit in the holes. Is that due to the 3D printing process? What's the best way to fix that? Light sanding of the pegs? And if I get it to fit, would super-glue be the best way to hold everything together?

Thanks!

18. Wraithier

Wraithier Well-Known Member

I just got my set I purchased off of shapeways. I didn't have much time to look at it, but my initial impression is that the head looks great! One question though, does this head go over the existing roadbuster head somehow? I test-fit the pieces together and there are big gaps where roadbuster's "cheeks" would be. Not sure if this is intended or I'm somehow missing pieces.

19. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    I was just looking for a thread to say "Hey guess what I found on Shapeways?"

I recieved it and chose the clear plastic, its really nice and although it came with no instructions It was pretty easy to figure out. And it fits very well.

Im not sure if Shapeways sanded it but it came to me pretty smooth for being printed out.

I am going to paint it this weekend, then I will post the colors I used. If it will help anyone.

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I bought the original kit and I just want to say again that it's awesome. I've recently cut down on display figures and the kit took what would have been a storage figure and made it into a front-and-center classics shelf piece.

Painting a head is no big deal. Color matching isn't that difficult, just get the closest color you can find and add a drop of white or black if needed. It will get close enough.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012