My New Phone - Xperia Play (aka PS Phone)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, May 24, 2011.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So the Xperia Play is set to launch in the U.S. this Thursday. I thought about and decided I wanted it. So I pre-ordered it last week. the thing showed up last night and I have it all set-up. doesn't look like the Playstation Certified section of the Market is going to launch until Thursday though. Comes packaged with 7 full games...

• Asphalt 6 - Ok racing game. Not great, not terrible
    • Bruce Lee - 1-on-1 fighter. Good graphics, terrible game play
    • PS1 Crash Bandicoot - Same as the PS1 version, plays great, looks good
    • Madden NFL 11 - Awful, just awful. Bad graphics, horrible controls
    • Star Battalion - Kinda like Star Fox. Looks really good, plays very smooth. Best of the bunch
    • Sims 3 - Haven't played yet

Gamepad
    The game pad is practically perfect. Buttons all feel good, much like the PSPGo. Thought I would hate the analog touch pads, but they're actually perfect. They have a raised surface around the edges, so your thumb doesn't wander. Shoulder buttons took some getting use to though, but Star Battalion is the perfect game to get used to those.

Screen
    The biggest disappointment with the phone comes in the form of the display. It's just a bit too dim. Not terrible, but the brightness doesn't compare favorably to the iPhone or any of the HTC phones. Resolution is fine though at 854x480, and videos looked good.

Gaming
    The main reason I got he phone was to have a nice handheld gaming device I wouldn't have to hack to get what I want. I've already racked up an extensive library of retro goodness, and they all run perfect on the gamepad. Plus 16-Bit era games looks simply astounding on the screen. There are around a dozen gamepad optimized games in the marketplace at the moment, one of which being a fantastic looking hockey game that is on my must buy list.

Phone, Messaging and More
    Calls came through crystal clear. The built-in speaker is much louder than most other phones, and sounds pretty good. Phone is fast, web browsing was better than my wife's Droid Incredible. Browser moved along at a good clip, text was easy to read.

I'm still playing around and learning stuff on it. But I've been pretty satisfied so far. My only real complaint is that the screen could and should be brighter. But otherwise, I'm happy having a mobile game device, with a near perfect gamepad, that handles mobile phone duties perfectly for me.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Forgive my iphone virginity, but where are you getting the 16-bit games from? Also who's your provider? My main reason for sticking with the iphone is because of how much I have invested in apps. If I purchased Crash Bandicoot on PSN for PSP and PS3, does the same copy work on Xperia?

Glad to hear about the lifted pads, because I was worried about those analog pads, because not having any resistance makes it easy to lose grip your analog controls.

3. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Unlike iPhone, Android phones don't require you to hack them to put non-authorized apps on there. They're readily available via the Android Market Place. In your settings, you just check a box that allows for non-approved apps to be installed.

PSN purchases do not work on the Xperia. All game purchases are going through the Android Market. This isn't meant to be a PSP replacement, it's an Android phone through and through. Actually, PS1 emulation is coming to most Android phones later this year. But Xperia Play phones have the added bonus of a gamepad to play them on.

Also, the analog touch pads aren't raised themselves. But the edges around it are raised so you don't slip off the surface.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it?

The great thing about my situation is that if I wanted to dump my iphone for one of these or the 3D Evo, I could still keep it as an ipod touch, so I wouldn't be losing everything.

5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    $200 on contract from Verizon (though it's likely coming to other carries). Comes with an 8GB SD card as well.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's not bad. I'm in bed with ATT for a while, but if it comes to them I'll have to check it out.

7. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

We have that as well in Canada (under Rogers, think 99$ under contract, 549$ w/o contract)

And Crash Bandicoot was awesome (except for those long passwords).

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I got a Samsung Vibrant have got some emulators going. They work out pretty well and I was always curious how they would run on this phone, since it has a d-pad.

9. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    i was thinking of getting this but if i can't transfer psn purchases ill pass on it. plus the only game i need is metal gear solid.

10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    minecraft is coming out on this. it going to be an early edition and is going to be on the sony droid market possibly months before the normal droid market and app store version because the game pad is easier to program with.

11. deadinthewater

deadinthewater I like it here

That sounds pretty awesome. I would like to get this phone, but I want to get the NGP, so I guess I'm sticking with my Tracfone for now.:D 

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I was looking at this today at Best Buy for $99. I have a Droid X and was worried about the smaller screen. Didn't want to step down. I was surprised at how large the screen was on such a small phone. It wasn't that much smaller than my Droid X. The main reason I passed on it was that lack of 4G. Don't want to be locked into a 3G phone for another 18 months and have 4G hit my area within 6. Happened to me with the first iPhone. 3G came out 3 months later. I want it and I want it bad, but I want at least 4G, and maybe an 8MP camera instead of a 5. Don't really want to downgrade on those two features.

13. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    3G should not be a problem it early in the 4g process and there might be some early problems. I'm not good with cameras but 5 does sound pretty bad.

14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have no desire to use the camera on my phone. Wasn't a deciding factor. I mainly use wifi for downloads, so 3G didn't matter to me. It makes phone calls, and plays games properly, so I'm a happy camper.

15. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I use my phone to take pics for the Cool Stuff thread ( now two threads ), so I want as nice of a camera as I can get. Don't want to buy a phone AND a camera. I use the network to surf the web a lot, so I'd appreciate being able to use the faster network as soon as it's available. I also use it as a hotspot when I travel, so the better speed would be beneficial there as well. Those two are deciding factors for me. Let's just hope they get them right with version 2.

16. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Honestly, with the complete absence of support from Sony and Verizon, I don't expect there to ever be a second version.

17. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    How are they not supporting it? What do you feel they should be doing that they aren't?

The concept is great, they just failed the execution. Should have gone high end with it. All the best stuff like Motorola did with the Droid X.

18. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sony promised multiple ps1 releases, psn account integration. They've released no ps1 games for it, no updates at all. Verizon's app store makes it impossible to find any apps for it, though the official xperia play launcher goes through their service. There's no way to tell if a game is supported, usually, unless someone adds the wording to a review.

Android market itself is so poorly run that I almost exclusively use the Amazon app store.

19. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    5 MP on a camera phone is fine.

MP does NOT equal picture quality, its just pic size. They could give you a 20 MP camera on your phone, but if the lens isn't improved, it will still be a crappy pic, but larger.

The iPhone 4 has a what... 3 MP camera? And the pics are HUGE. All boosting the MPs will do is just make them bigger, not increase quality.

20. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

This is definitely true. Especially considering that 95% of pics taken with phones just end up on Facebook where they get resized to a .5 MP resolution anyway.