Minor/Repaint: My Nemesis Prime to Trailbreaker WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Optimus Scourge, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I did this over the last couple days in my spare time. I know a lot of you guys plan on this conversion and some have already...
    I Decided to do a little something different. I just saw the new reprolabels for this conversion and I like them. but, I still think I will keep what I made for my custom.

I have a custom head on the way. It is designed to replce the Nemesis Primes head specifically...It requires NO cutting or any such modifications. it is a "direct replacement head" I can't wait...should be here soon. From Alyosha's Custom Joes

And I plan to do paint apps and such, but I'll save that for later.
    It is just what you see so far...a NP with some decals. and a not-yet applied custom licence plate (my first one of those, too) :D  I used a kit I found by Testors: "Custom decal system" Freakin Sweet!

Please feel free to post thoughts, criticism, or suggestions, as this is my first time with an Alt (actually any toy), I have only repainted some PVC's and such. I did not make the MP in my sig - TFMaster did. Anyway here's what I got so far:

More to come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE 9/15/06
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really like that. Really updates him while keeping the G1 feel.

3. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Woot, I can't wait to see the bot pics.

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That is awesome. I can't wait to see the custom head on him. I've got a Cy. Hot Rod and a Cy. Kickback in the planning stages. Their going to be my first two kitbashes. All I need to do is buy the paint and tape, and go for it. I'm thinking of kitbashing an alternator, but i haven't decided which one to do yet. Nice work on the decals, can you give us some more info on the decal maker thing you were talking about? It would definetly help me out. Thanks in advance for any more info on that. Hope to see some pics of that new head on him in bot mode soon. Peace out.

5. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

better than the Repro stuff

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

you know whats funny....seeing how hard it was to get NP, he used a NP for this kitbash...

but looks cool...cant wait to see the bot mode.

7. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

thats kool man, NP has been pimped out :lol  hope bot mode is as good as that is now

8. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    The decal kit Is from Testors. Price is a cheap $7.99. It's called Testors "Custom Decal System", it includes a mini CD with software and comes in a small blue box in the hobby section of Wal-Mart or at your local hobby store if you can find it. It has templates for stripes, badges, numbers and licence plates. I actually didn't use the templates it came with. I did my own. The sponsor logos can be found at almost any hobby shop and are used for pine cars. you rub them on with a pencil.

And here's a preview and where you can order the head I have coming in: click here

9. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I like the red orange & yellow stickers on the sides. Reminiscent of the G1 design, but still modernized. The logo stickers look nice, but they seem slightly out of place for Trailbreaker.

10. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Your custom is looking great, a really nice modern interpretation of the character! Can't wait to see it finished!

And that custom-molded head is pretty neat. Looks like it won't be able to "look up" like Swindle can, but that's not a big deal. How is the quality of those, is it more or less equivalent to th real thing? I'm super tempted to order one myself (as well as some of his other duplicate heads).

11. Bluestreak420

Bluestreak420 BS42O Prod. Inc.

I love it...you were able to use his G1 colors without giving him that ho-hum boring paint job the G1 TB had...great job How soon until we see more of him completed?

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lookin' good!

13. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    I plan on doing some painting Wed...hopefully I'll have his head by then as well so a week or so, I guess. I need to find some good chrome paint, too for the force field generator :)  I'm gonna take my time to do it right. I don't want crappy paint apps. Still planning on how to set him apart more. I'd love to add a camper, but I think I'm going for a more streamlined TB. If I can, I'd like to somehow buy/build a tonneau cover of some sort, but I've never done anything like that. I know it involves styrene sheets, and some skill but that's about all I know...like I said this is my first custom.

14. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    a WIP update:
    I was really hoping the custom head would come today, but it didn't. Ah, well. I did make it out and picked up some paints. I used the following Model Master colors: Bright Yellow, Insignia Red, Chrome Silver (not yet applied), and Steel (for the face) I couldn't find a blue I liked for the visor I'm gonna check around a couple other hobby shops for that. more later

here's what I did in about twenty minutes. It is ROUGH. I need to paint some flat black over the parts where I couldn't follow a line...hinges on leg bracket pieces need touch up, feet are far from final-Don't know if I'll keep the black base of feet like it is now or chrome it...and the yellow needs a few more coats. I was gonna do the arms chrome like G1, but I figured I'd try something different to liven it up. I'm not sold on it, I may do chrome, but I like the way the arms being yellow screams "look at me"

Again, this is my first time painting a toy (or even a model) so any suggestions/criticism is welcomed.
    thanks,
    -Gary
    [​IMG]

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    ...so those are water decals? If so, I FUCKING LOVE YOU. Mad props x10000 for making your own, custom waterslide decals.

Those are my favorite. :D 

EDIT: Just saw the robot mode pics. The color scheme is original for this version of Trailbreaker, me likee! However, I kindly suggest that you do a few more applications of the same color of paint in the same spot if you want a strong, solid red and yellow. One application of Testors enamel to Hasbro plastic usually doesn't do the trick. Just my opinion.

16. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    Thanks, that's something coming from you! :D  I

do plan on several more coats and some more silver and chrome detailing.

17. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    Another update: Added faction symbols and I have added several more coats of yellow and red. I just added the chrome/ silver. I will be adding more coats of that and of course touch up where needed. I also plan on adding red or chrome to the base of the foot, probably chrome - I think that will stand out. So far I'm pleased with my results.
    *goes to mailbox to wait for head*

Here's something to hold you over:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The yellow is really smart. G1 TB didn't have a lot of color in robot mode, so this spices it up a bit. We know the yellow from his truck mode, so it still says "Trailbreaker" when we see it here.

19. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nice stickers.

20. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    The custom head has arrived!

I got mail today and it was the head I have been waiting for. It came with the force field generator, but I didn't use that one because I don't have any way to chrome plate it and I wanted the chrome, so I used an original off a G1 Trailbreaker. I had to drill out the hole in the back of the head a little bigger. It came out great as it is nice and snug in the head for robot mode but comes off by gently rocking it back and forth with no problem for transformation. I also had to modify the custom head's neck hole to properly mount the head to the ball joint.

I used gloss black on the outer head, kept the face a dark grey and a nice med blue metallic for the visor. Obviously I'm going for the Anime look and not a copy of the toy, who has a red visor and chrome on the sides of his head.

He needs a cleaning/detail as he has some paint spots here and there from handling with (unaware to me at the time) yellow paint spot on my hands. He needs detail on some of the paint apps, but this is what it's basically going to look like. I'm just happy he came out so well. I was worried when the head didn't fit right away but all is good now. Here's some pics for now. I'll probably do a proper gallery when he is done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]