Heavy/Scratch: My MP Alt Smokescreen

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ShawnL7, Jul 25, 2007.

1. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

I was gonna wait until I got my Jazz finished to post this thread but I've gotten a considerable amount of him done already. This is another reshell project I've had planned for a while and have just recently started on.
    Needless to say, I was dissapointed with Smokes Alt form. So I'm giving him a major rehaul into his former G1 form. He is from a Smokescreen Alt and the kit I'm using is the Bob Newman Racing Datsun 280-ZX. And since I cannot seem to find a kit of the 280z ZX GTU and the kits made by AMT are too small... this one is the perfect choice.
    Again... some major grinding had to be done to the old fenders of Smokes to accomidate the Datsun shell. The rear axel pins had to be removed (so they can be repositioned later) and most of the original wheel well is now gone. I also had to remove pretty much the entire front of the Alt dash to fit the new windsheild in place.
    I thought I was gonna have to use some hobby hinges for the doors, seeing as the Datsun doors dont line up with the original door hinges. But after removing the hinge I figured a way to reposition it using only one screw instead of both. A little cutting and grinding of the peice and the door now hinges farther out and further back. Alot more of the dash had to be removed and cut back on this one due to the new windsheild so I think I'm just gonna cut it all the way down and just use the Datsun dash that came with the kit.
    The way the G1 Smokes transforms isnt all that different from the Alt. I've already made a hinge assemble out of styrene tubing and metal wire for the back hatch. Some of the material in the back had to be ground down so there's enough room to put the pivot in between the hatch and back of the car without causing them to be raised up.

Now all I have to do is soak all my parts and start painting. It will, however, require ALOT of masking to get him painted like the original. And the decals I'll be getting from reprolabel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    looks great so far

3. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    looks great so far

4. Valandar

Valandar Dilettante and Dabbler

Can't wait to see it finished! :D 

5. Valandar

Valandar Dilettante and Dabbler

Can't wait to see it finished! :D 

6. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

nice

7. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

nice

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ambitious fellow, aren't we? :wink: 

You're kickin' tailpipe and not ever takin' names man! Keep it up! :thumb 

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ambitious fellow, aren't we? :wink: 

You're kickin' tailpipe and not ever takin' names man! Keep it up! :thumb 

10. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I love how you're going thru these guys and giving them true G1 alt modes.....keep them coming...you've got some real skills my friend :D 

11. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I love how you're going thru these guys and giving them true G1 alt modes.....keep them coming...you've got some real skills my friend :D 

12. olas202

olas202 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    that is awesome! I can't wait to see it done. reshells are the best kind of customs.

13. olas202

olas202 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    that is awesome! I can't wait to see it done. reshells are the best kind of customs.

14. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Smokescreen was always my favourite! I know this custom is going to be awesome, I will be watching for this one!

15. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Smokescreen was always my favourite! I know this custom is going to be awesome, I will be watching for this one!

16. ShawnL7

He is one of my favs too. I guess that's why I chose to do this one. And I've never seen one done before so this will be an original.

17. ShawnL7

He is one of my favs too. I guess that's why I chose to do this one. And I've never seen one done before so this will be an original.

18. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, but I can't endorse this project... because I'm already working on one of my own, and I have been doing so for some time (I talked to Reprolabels in late May once I had secured the kit). I found another model kit and have been reworking the front bumper to make it the racing variant. I wasn't going to show it until it was completed so someone wouldn't steal my idea but since you forced my hand... ;) 

Mine lacks the ability to transform though, this is my first reshelling and I don't have the tools (or the spare parts) to make it fit together well enough.

[​IMG]

So, may the best kitbasher win?

For the record, I haven't seen anyone else make a reshelling of this using a Datsun, and the only actual repaint I seen was done ages ago with the Binaltech Subaru. Strange, considering he's fairly popular and all.

19. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, but I can't endorse this project... because I'm already working on one of my own, and I have been doing so for some time (I talked to Reprolabels in late May once I had secured the kit). I found another model kit and have been reworking the front bumper to make it the racing variant. I wasn't going to show it until it was completed so someone wouldn't steal my idea but since you forced my hand... ;) 

Mine lacks the ability to transform though, this is my first reshelling and I don't have the tools (or the spare parts) to make it fit together well enough.

[​IMG]

So, may the best kitbasher win?

For the record, I haven't seen anyone else make a reshelling of this using a Datsun, and the only actual repaint I seen was done ages ago with the Binaltech Subaru. Strange, considering he's fairly popular and all.

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You can endorse my projects :)  Just send your junked out parts over to my way. You could also send random plugs all over the board (be my internet street team :) ). Greeting cards would be nice too. Oh, and buy some dollar bags of crack for pk. He needs his fix.

Not to :horse: , but as long as you cite your sources (e.g. "give props"), it's all good in th' hood.

I hope you can make your reshell transform! If you can't then ol' Shawn here wins! He wins the Kitbash King of the Hill Contest! We'll even give him a recliner from Goodwill that REDLINE will personally deliver to his house.

If you win, the prize is unlimited shameless plug attacks to endorse my customs. That way everyone wins :D