My movie trailer is online: 'The Slasher'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kbroz, Feb 5, 2008.

1. kbroz

kbroz Well-Known Member

I wrote/co-imagined an independent film. To give you an idea on everything... our budget was like $200. It came out great, though. Better than a lot of high-budget indy films I've seen. Anyways, the synopsis: There are two stories going on. One is a man losing his grip on reality. The other is an intentionally bad '70's-style slasher movie... hence the title, 'The Slasher'. Check out the trailer on our website. Feel free to comment, as long as it's not that it sucks. That isn't constructive:

www.wlfkproductions.com

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is it just killing for the sake of killing or what? I'm not really getting the gist of what's supposed to be going on here.

3. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not getting it either. Is the acting intentionally wooden and silly or is it supposed to be like that?

4. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Jake McGee is a pretty awful actor. It sounds like you're going for camp, but it looks like a student film. That might just be me, though, I wasn't a film student.

5. kbroz

kbroz Well-Known Member

Our budget was no money. So some of the acting is bad... in part of the film it's intentional, part of the film it's just because they worked for free. There is a story and it's not just killing for killings sake. Part of the movie is campy... you can figure it out via the purposefully bad-looking film quality.

6. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I am a huge horror fan, and I am also a huge fan of low-budget campy movies. When I dig through netflix I am generally not looking for the seriously, well acted movies. I go for the B.

That said, I'll give you my opinion and you can take it for what it's worth. For the record, I *do* like mindless killing, I *do* "get it" and I *do* like shitty acting, in fact depending on my level of drunkness, I prefer it.

Judging from the trailer, it seems like you are trying to be a little bit *too* serious about it. The whole "I'll write my story in blood" or whatever that line that was repeated was comes off as a little pretentious for what you are trying to achieve here., in my opinion. I've seen SO MANY B-grade movies that it amazes me sometimes how much directors just do not understand the audience they are catering to.

No offense to the two guys above who replied, but you shouldn't be making a movie for them. They aren't going to appreciate the goodness that comes from the badness of a movie that is made for 200.00 bucks.

I'm not a movie maker, but I am avid watcher of all things horror and I know the movies that leave me snoozing and the movies that leave me clapping and cheering. 200 bucks means NOTHING in what you can achieve. In my opinion, you have a pretty solid cast of bad actors and the chicks are attractive enough where they should all get killed brutally. You don't need money for that. Get yourself some melons and ketchup and you'd be suprised how much awesomeness comes from that.

You REALLY need to play up the "fun factor" to make a successfully awesome B-movie, especially if you are attempting the "homage to cheesy movies" route. Love him or hate him, refer to Eli Roth in that regard. He knows that people love lots of blood and tits.

So...are those chicks getting naked or what? Probably not for 200.00 bucks, but I can tell you right now you'll sell more copies of the actual film if they do (or if they at least bounce around in bikinis). The more ridiculous the scenario the better.

So if you got the boobs, you got the cheesy blood and gore effects and you realize that NO ONE CARES about your script,they just want to go from one kill scene to the next, you will make a great damn drunken B movie.

That is my completely non-expert, but completely qualified opinion.
    Your movie COULD be all of that, I dunno...but it does seems like you are actually "trying" at parts when the best B movies come from those that just don't seem like they give a shit. Watch Mons-Turd and see what I mean. Btw, I also have a friend who is a movie maker who makes some rather silly B-movies. I won't hijack your thread, but if you want to see them, feel free to send me a PM.

Good start man!

-D

7. kbroz

kbroz Well-Known Member

Well, it's like half B-movie and half not... I don't know, you might actually have to see it for that to make sense. But there are some over-the-top brutal deaths and what not. Plus, I didn't direct it... just wrote it. The input is good, though. As soon as it's done I will get more clips available and copies available for whoever. As this is our first movie I'm sure it'll be a free distribution thing to get our names out there.

8. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Woah that was.......I don't know how to describe it but its good cheesy acting though but hey for an indy film thats academy award winning

9. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Answer me this: Do any of the chicks get naked?

If not, any bra shots? Panties? Ankles? Come on, I'll take an elbow.

10. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

It's already considerably better than some of the shit B movie stuff Zone Horror shows over here.

Can't understand almost anything Jake's saying.

Definetly needs TnA and gallons of blood. If you have both of those, then I think you might have something relativly entertaining there. I'd be up for seeing it when it's done...

11. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'm definitely a fan of bottom of the barrel, low budget flicks (horror and otherwise), though this seemed just plain boring to me. I love a crappy movie that takes itself seriously, but there's gotta be some ridiculous premise or something there to grab me. I understand that they're going for camp, but it doesn't look like camp, it looks like a generic slasher flick with a grain filter for the "dark" parts. If there's some tongue in cheek humor or something I'm missing, that's cool, but maybe you're right, I'm not the target audience.

12. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

Dusty pretty much summed up everything I thought.

Unless you have the budget, never take it seriously.

That being said, I thought the trailer was actually well edited. But...it's a slasher movie...and there was NO gore in the trailer. UM WHAT?