My little girl wants to collect X-men comics.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lt. Faceless, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

My son has his Joes and transformers.My little girl likes x-men.I record X-men off of disney XD and everyday when she gets home from grandmas house.She says "I want to watch x-men".The other day she was watching it and looks at me and says "Daddy,can you buy me some x-men comics?I can't read them yet,but i'll put them up and take care of them."

How can i say no to that?Next time i'm in the comic book store.I'm going to get a long box and some bags and boards.So my question is,which one do i get?

Is there still an Uncanny? If not,whats the main x-men book?Those are the ones i want to get for her.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'd start her with the 90s X-Men series(the cartoon team for the most part), which turned in New X-Men(2001) then turned back into X-Men(2004?) before changing into X-Men Legecy(current issue 200+). The individual issues are cheap/slightly above cover price in some cases and you can start her with number one.

And yes, Uncanny is still running and issue 508 I think. start a collection of Uncanny is harder price wise. Again, I'd say start at issue 281, which launched the same time as X-Men in 1991.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men#1990s

3. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Cool,thanks for the help.

Also,i'm not looking to buy any back issues(that will be something she can do later in life,if she still collects them).I'm just going to start from this month and go foward kind of thing.I feel weird asking about x-men.10 Years ago,i could of told you anything about them.Now,i can't tell you who is on the current roster.

4. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Or You Could Just go and Order the DVD Comic Collections that Marvel is selling

5. smkspy

Honestly, both main X-men titles are horrible right now. I only buy them cause I've been collecting the titles since the 90s, but they really aren't worth reading.

6. smkspy

But thats just no fun at all. Nothing like tracking down those back issues and finding that one issues you've desperately been searching for. Great times.

7. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I have a SLEW of the 90's X-Men stuff, crossing several of the titles. Mostly the main 2 titles, but kind of all over, including some spin-offs. I don't care to have them anymore, so if interested, PM me, I'd probably be ok letting them go for cost of shipping. 3-4 long boxes worth. Unless you ever get to central Illinois, then it's a free pickup.

Think I even have some of the figures, too.

8. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Start her off on the Marvel Essentials collections. Big, phone book size reprints. Their in black and white but they're cheap (under $20) and collect anywhere from 20-24 issues. Great way to get her in to comics, and you can't go wrong starting her off on classic Claremont, Cockrum, and Byrne.

9. Razorbeast

Razorbeast With Love and Squalor

The only reason I've been wanting to buy Uncanny was because Terry Dodson has been doing the interiors and covers. I prefer Brubakers' Captain America to his X-Men.

I remember when my dad had all of his old Eternals and X-Men books around and I'd read them when I was like, five. I miss watching the old 90s X-Men. Ah, childhood.

10. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    She chould get some of the 60's X-Men comics.

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I think the question is, how old is she? I think her age will definitely have a bearing on what she should be getting. I know there are marvel Adventure books which are geared toward little kids as opposed to the regular series which go toward teens.

I think your best bet might be back issues of the X-men adventures or the current First Class story just because there is no in depth continuity to bog down the story. if you don't know what's already going on in Legacy or Uncanny, you may have a hard time understanding the current plot.

12. smkspy

I wish Brubaker would return. Matt Fraction is a horrible horrible writer.

13. Razorbeast

Razorbeast With Love and Squalor

Fraction's is really doing that bad on Uncanny? The Order was meh. His new Iron Man is pretty good and is up for an Eisner award.

Though of course, Brubaker's won an eisner for pretty much everything he's ever touched.

14. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I would highly recommend the Essentials - hard to beat classic Lee/Kirby and classic Claremont. For more current stuff both X-Men: First Class and Wolverine: First Class which co-stars Kitty Pryde have been wonderful all-ages reads. Who is her favorite character?

15. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

I'm not a prude by any means,but I think you said she's not even old enough to read? I haven't read an X-Men ongoing in a couple years,but IIRC a large portion of their appeal is T&A.

16. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Oh not at all. I just was wondering how old she was due to different stories and their depth. Marvel has a kid friendly line for young readers called "Marvel Adventures" and then their main titles. Main titles can be bogged down with crossovers and continuity and maybe some older situations while the Adventures line is geared for easy reading where it's one title and everything revolves around that one title, not the 10 or so produced mainstream.

17. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

i wouldnt spend too much money on this.. she might just be wanting to do what brother is doing

18. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why not buy some Essentials?

19. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    You could get her the Ultimate comic where Quicksilver sleeps with his sister.

20. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Eh, the Silver Age X-Men was not one of Marvel's better books from that era - even when Lee and Kirby were on it. I'd go with the Claremont Essentials. Those are some of the most loved and classic stories in the whole 40+ years of the X-Men.